Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2014 6:30:21 AM EDT
I've been doing some checking myself. Obviously, I don't have access to your log files and such, but, this voting system is obviously not working out as you hoped it would.

This is the description for a rifle that has currently exactly 300 votes.

Muskets have a couple main physical traits, they are long and mildly cumbersome. I have designed a rifle that is somewhat cumbersome and decently long, with an 18 inch fluted barrel and an A2 style butt-stock and an OAL of almost 40 inches. Also take a look at my other build! http://www.gunstruction.net/gallery-image/?id=1273

Now, it seems to me that part of this competition is as to how the rifle designed is actually a "Modern Musket". Nothing with that particular rifle screams modern musket and certainly nothing in the description of it. The hand guard is a copy of the first one I did using it.

People who use internet access from phones get a new IP address pretty much every time they connect to the net through the phone. They don't have fixed IP addresses with machine hashes. They can vote for their own build hundreds of times. the votes will pretty much always come from a new IP address because the IP addresses are dynamically allocated. There is no way you can prevent this.

I have browsed lots of other peoples entries. Only though if the particular piece looked like I would consider it worthy. Many of them are so much the same. Then, I read the description: "This is my modern musket, everyone should have one". Well, the description didn't tel me squat, so I don't vote for it. I have voted for TWO that were not my own builds. So, quite obviously, there is no way that of the people participating in this competition that 500, 300 or even 150 of us have given a vote for the same rifle. The best I have is 5 I think on one of my builds and that's partly because my wife liked it from her computer. She doesn't use Gunstruction either.

I showed a guy in town Gunstruction and this competition and the builds that had already been submitted. He went through the 4 or 5 pages at that time and said "This one's cool, that one I like" and he voted on them. He has never used the program and he's net even sure how an AR works. I think he probably voted on 1 or 2 of my builds, but, he voted on what he liked.

We're simply not seeing what the intent was with this voting system. Nobody's reading any of the descriptions at all for sure when it comes to the voting.

I don't know how you're going to deal with this, but, it kind of seems now like a waste of time to write anything at all for a description. I just waw one with 100+ votes and no description at all - not one word.

Aren't we supposed to be explaining just HOW the design is a modern musket?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Addressed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top