Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2016 5:52:27 PM EDT
I have been thinking about this for a week or so.  I want to add a smokey flavor to a beer that I am working on.  Would there be any downside to charing the plank the dropping it into my keg and letting it age?  I would probably add a filter inline to catch any bits of that may fall off of it.  

Also thinking of doing it with some Root Beer.  I will probably try the soda first.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Ralfy has tried it with Scotch Whisky.

You don't leave them in very long.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You could always try smoked malt. Be very light if you go down this road though. Very pungent stuff.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think charring the plank will add much smoke flavor...If that was the case, Bourbon would taste like nothing but smoke.
Smoked malt or liquid smoke are more viable options for a rauchbier.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
What you are trying to make is called Rauchbier. It is made by using a quanity of smoked malts. Some people do this on their grill w/ Malt of choice and add some chips. Search the web there should be a lot of info.
Here is a good BYO article
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
not saying I advocate it, but you can buy liquid smoke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top