Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2015 12:33:05 PM EDT
There isn't a lot of info on WLP545 other than it's from the Ardennes region, and is a stong attenuator. Have any of you used it? What kind of flavors are you getting from it at different temps? Brewery of origin? This will be going in a quad once it's built up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you see this thread?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=204646

View Quote

Yeah, that is the most informative thread about 545 on the internet. Still not too much info in there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Since there isn't much info on this I'll keep this going.

So I brewed a quad on Friday with an OG of 1.07 before any simple sugars. Pitched a big starter of 545(it smelled better than any previous starter!) at 68F and kept it at 68 ambient. Monday added 3lbs of dark candi syrup to get the OG up to 1.1. Tuesday I slowly started to ramp the ambient up to 78F. It's smelling great so far. I hope to get the FG down to 1.01 before bottling.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Finished at 1.006 and I bottled it on Saturday, just popped one yesterday to make sure everything was going well. It was really good! More like Chimay than Westmalle to me. Big fruits, subtle spice, sugars, only faint alcohol, and not dry despite the low FG. Very similar to Chimay, but just a young one still. I have a harvested starter that will be used in a big 1.1 OG amber this Saturday. This could become my house Belgian yeast due to the crazy(94%) attenuation.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you add some fresh yeast for carbonation?  

I'm not incredibly familiar with the style, but I'd imagine at that desired carbonation would be pretty low.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you add some fresh yeast for carbonation?  

I'm not incredibly familiar with the style, but I'd imagine at that desired carbonation would be pretty low.
View Quote

I added re-hydrated champagne yeast at bottling. It's already carbing up, should be just about perfect at 3 weeks to a month.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Had one last night. It was about 75% carbed. It might be one of the best quads I've ever made. Extremely fruity. A little spice, good malt, not much alcohol, and a touch of sweetness at the finish. Superb

I will absolutely be making more with this yeast. I have an amber that is about to be cold crashed. As soon as it's done I'll be harvesting the yeast to make more quads.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Just bottled the amber and had a glass while working. Once again, I'm floored at how good this yeast is. The first thing that came to mind was Chimay, it's all fruit up front. The finish is all spices, with a touch of sweetness at the end. It's nice since it finished at 1.004.  This will be the only Belgian yeast I use for all my brewing for maybe the next year or more. I like it that much!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#9]
So you had no trouble using it as the only yeast for fermentation and carbonation?

ETA:  I was thinking about the super high gravity yeast for some reason.  A few guys from my brew club, myself, and a local brewery are doing a big dubbel with 3 different fermentations (green peppercorns, minimal temp, and dark dry fruit).  Maybe I can use this yeast for mine (dark dry fruit).

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#10]
The quad I used champagne yeast, this one I didn't so we'll see in a few weeks. I'm expecting it carb just fine though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top