Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2017 6:30:11 PM EDT
I don't own a deep fryer and usually just use a stainless steel pan for frying. Problem is, there is no way to measure the temperature of the oil. Anyone know of a good thermometer that can clip to the side of a plan for oil temperature? Preferably something I can buy off amazon.com
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
And of the Thermoworks ones would work great.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the one I use Thermometer  The only downside is it sits off the bottom by 1/2" so if you're only doing a single portion with minimal oil it can be difficult to get a good reading.  With larger quantities of oil the reading are spot on.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#3]
^ That's the same one I use, it works great I believe it's also the one Alton Brown uses on his shows.

Something you might want to try if you have one; instead of using the stainless steel pot, I use an enameled cast iron dutch oven. It retains heat better so it recovers to frying temperature faster.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thermoworks ChefAlarm.  Better than a unitasker.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Last week I bought a candy/deep fry thermometer.  I think I bought it at Walmart.

Last night I started to heat the oil to fry flounder and I couldn't see the temperature indicator (or whatever you call it).  I called my wife in and she told me it was a pinkish color

I'm color blind and I can't see it, so worthless to me.  Fortunately I also bought a digital probe type that goes up to 450*.

Any cooking store should have choices, and of course online
Top Top