Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 7/14/2011 8:28:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov]
So, anyone got good crock pot meals/recipes?

<This is now the official crock pot/slow cooker recipe thread - Z>

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
For pot roast in a slow cooker what's the cut of meat I'm looking for at the store, I always get lost and have the glazed over look at the meat counter looking the different cuts.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoshAR:
For pot roast in a slow cooker what's the cut of meat I'm looking for at the store, I always get lost and have the glazed over look at the meat counter looking the different cuts.  
View Quote

I get whatever is usually called "beef chuck roast".
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Laramie:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

With beef prices what they are these days........which ever one you can afford.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Chuck roast usually works best for me.. The more fat the more flavor the roast will have..
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:06:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Gopher:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gopher:

This

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm tying to think of what cuts of beef I have not put in a crock pot yet. I think I'm down to offal, brains, tongue (May have to try that one), heart.......that's all that is left for me to try. Not doing liver.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:47:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlahBlah] [#8]

I'm trying a new chili ("tomato-based beef and bean soup" for all you Texans) recipe in my slow cooker today. I'll update tonight after I eat it, but here's what went in this morning...

1lb Stewing Beef, 1" cubes

1lb Ground Sirloin (90/10)

1 Red Pepper, medium diced

1 Small/Medium Yellow Onion, medium diced

1 Jalapeno Pepper, seeded and fine diced

6 Cloves Garlic, minced

1 Can Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed

1 Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed

2 Cans Diced Tomatoes w/Juice

1 Can Tomato Sauce

3 Tbs Chili Powder

1 Tbs Ground Cumin

1 Tbs Dizzy Pig "Cow Lick Steak Rub"

1.5 tsp Iodized Sea Salt

Red Pepper Flakes to taste

Prep time was about 20 minutes, but I have one of those swanky Cuisinart "Cook Center" slow cookers that can steam/saute/slow cook. It would probably take a bit longer (and dirty more pans) with a "normal" crockpot. I set mine to saute at 400° and added the meat and dry spices. Once the meat started browning I added the onion, peppers and garlic. Once everything was browned-up and the veggies were starting to wilt a bit, I dumped everything else in the pot, put on the lid, set the temp to low and the timer for 8 hours.

All I need to do when I get home is cook-up some cast iron skillet corn bread!

I made this recipe up using parts of other recipes that I like. I haven't tasted it yet, but I'm betting it will be pretty good.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By BlahBlah:

I'm trying a new chili ("tomato-based beef and bean soup" for all you Texans) recipe in my slow cooker today. I'll update tonight after I eat it, but here's what went in this morning...

6 Cloves Garlic, minced

1 Can Tomato Sauce

3 Tbs Chili Powder

1 Tbs Ground Cumin

1.5 tsp Iodized Sea Salt

View Quote

Prep time was about 20 minutes, but I have one of those swanky Cuisinart "Cook Center" slow cookers that can steam/saute/slow cook. It would probably take a bit longer (and dirty more pans) with a "normal" crockpot. I set mine to saute at 400° and added the meat and dry spices. Once the meat started browning I added the onion, peppers and garlic. Once everything was browned-up and the veggies were starting to wilt a bit, I dumped everything else in the pot, put on the lid, set the temp to low and the timer for 8 hours.

I made this recipe up using parts of other recipes that I like. I haven't tasted it yet, but I'm betting it will be pretty good.

Sounds pretty good! I'd have to spice it up quite a bit more, but it sounds like a good base. Let us know how it turns out.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah... Momma doesn't like her chili too spicy, so I usually have to doctor mine up in the bowl.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Ditto the chuck roast.  The recipe is simplicity itself.  Before you put it in the cooker, throw it on a really hot skillet for long enough to brown it all over.  Then into the crock pot. with it.  Blacken some onion halves on the skillet as well.  Char the flat sides and then toss em in the pot.  Throw in a few cups of carrot chunks and a few new potatos, cut in half.  Peel a fist of garlic and toss in all of it.  Trust me.  It's gonna cook down

One can of beef stock,

3 sprigs of rosemary

Lots of black pepper and enough salt to make you feel guilty.

Put the lid on it, turn it on and come back in 10 hours.

If you want dumplings, take  a half pack of Grands buttermilk  biscuits, make little balls and drop em in on top. in one layer.  You'll have a moist  fluffy bread top with gooey gravy soaking into the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Yeah... Momma doesn't like her chili too spicy, so I usually have to doctor mine up in the bowl.
View Quote
Yeah, my wife was like that in the beginning, but she's developing a tolerance for spicy foods after being with me for so long.  

My chili recipe is pretty similar to yours, but I use the Hot Rotel for the small diced tomatoes and mexican style pinto beans instead of the kidney beans, along with whatever peppers I feel like throwing in at the time.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
We did a turkey recipe yesterday. I didn't see it in this thread, so here it is:

1/4c softened butter
1/2c fresh sage
1/2c fresh tarragon
4tsp minced garlic
2tsp black pepper
1tsp salt
6lb turkey breast

Cook in a crockpot on low 6-8hr.

My wife doesn't eat turkey other than fried wild turkey. She got seconds when we had this last night. I stuck the leftovers in the freezer. I plan to make soup or a white chili with it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone ever try beef cheeks? Simply cook as a pot roast in the slow cooker...heaven.

I like to do Ox tail or shanks in the slow cooker aka Osso Buco.

For all you guys who like or want demi-glace the slow cooker is a fantastic way to make it.
Mirepoix for rack-carrots onion, celery
veal or beef bones
Red wine
tomato paste
whole black pepper
Bay leaves,
Thyme, Oregano, Parsley stems
garlic
water

In oven in deep roaster lay out mirepoix, add bones and roast until bones are brown, remove from oven, drain grease, add to crock pot. Pour red wine in roaster to deglaze, scrup pan with wooden spoon to lossen bits, add to slow cooker. Add tomato paste, garlic and herbs. cover with cold water turn on low. Take a set of chop sticks and crack the lid to vent, allow to come to a simmer for and 1.5 hours.

Now classically one would call this first run a wash, this would be drained and used on another batch as it will contain a large amount of fat. But for our sake we will use it. We will just have to be diligent in our depouillage or skimming of the fats. Purests would have one coat the veal bones with the tomato paste after browning and allow it to cook longer. This is a great way to make Espaniol sauce. IMHO Espainol has too much tomato and limits the usefullness of the demi-glace, so I add it after the browning as we begin to make the stock and I use less paste. We need the acid the tomato provides to pull the browned natural carmalization from the bones and mirepoix into suspension. In a restaurant setting this would be done in a large steam jacketed kettle, and during the day the cooks would be adding vegtable scraps into the stock all day long. Also a large amount of fresh tomato scraps would be going in this too to compensate for the lower amount of paste. We would also use a first wash from a previous batch as well as a vegtable stock from veggie scraps saved the day before.

Resist the temptation to salt this. We are going to super concentrate this and any salt addition may be problematic later. Save the salt for the final seasoning of the dish.

We will let this go overnight topping with water again and let it go until the next day adding water as it is delpleted. During this time we will be skimming as much fat and scum from the top as it accumilates Again in a professional setting this would have been drained and rewet but we are just going to top off because we are not using 100 lbs of bones and we want to get everything we can out of the bones we can so we must keep adding water to the stock to do this. Conversely one may strain the stock, reserve then re-wet the bones totally up to you. Next day we can strain, if you feel like there are still protiens to extract from the bones top off the water and let it go for longer if desired. But we are looking for a mild but flavorful stock. Strain and discard bones and mirepoix. Bones should be hollow.

Wipe out crock pot and add stock back and turn on with vented lid. Or place in a stockpot on stove top and bring to low simmer reduce by 1/2 continuing to skim impurities as the accumilate on the surface. Cool and pour into container and refridgerate. When cool take a spoon and scrape any remaining fat from the surface and discard. This will keep in the back of the refridgerator for a long time. Some people will pour into Ice trays and freeze then once frozen pop them into a zip-lock bag. You can strain through a fine chinois and reduce by half again for glace de viande and have heaven in a spoon. Chill it and play jacks it you want!

Now you will have a super flavorful base you can use to enrich any sauce you wish. One can take lamb bones say the trimmings from a rack and make a quick brown stock then add the demi-glace to give body and richness while keeping the flavor profile of the lamb strong. Whisk in some mint jelly maybe whole butter on the end and viola mint lamb sauce. Do the same with Duck, Roast the carcass with mirepoix quick brown stock, strain, reduce, add stock to the pan, finish with port, a spoon of demi-glace-yum!

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#15]

6 Cloves Garlic, minced

1 Can Tomato Sauce

3 Tbs Chili Powder

1 Tbs Ground Cumin

1.5 tsp Iodized Sea Salt

View Quote

The recipe turned out really well! I'd classify it as a mild-to-medium heat... Momma loved it and I didn't have to doctor it up too much.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

6 Cloves Garlic, minced

1 Can Tomato Sauce

3 Tbs Chili Powder

1 Tbs Ground Cumin

1.5 tsp Iodized Sea Salt

The recipe turned out really well! I'd classify it as a mild-to-medium heat... Momma loved it and I didn't have to doctor it up too much.

Good deal! I'll probably try something pretty close to this soon.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I made this Sunday and it was great.  I didn't have any Dizzy Pig, but I did use some kind of 7 pepper seasoning.  The only thing I would change is doubling the batch for more left overs.  Thanks for sharing.

6 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Can Tomato Sauce
3 Tbs Chili Powder
1 Tbs Ground Cumin
1.5 tsp Iodized Sea Salt

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By Ratbelly:

I made this Sunday and it was great. I didn't have any Dizzy Pig, but I did use some kind of 7 pepper seasoning. The only thing I would change is doubling the batch for more left overs. Thanks for sharing.

View Quote

No problem! I've picked up a few new recipes in this thread, so I figured I'd share one. I'm glad you liked it!
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Cambells makes slow cooker sauces in a bag.  I highly suggest the Moroccan Chicken.  I have done it with both boneless skinless thighs and breasts.  Delicious and way to easy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#20]
All right guys, I need help with venison roasts. I have probably 3 or 4, 3lb deer roasts from last year that I need to cook. The last one I did in the crockpot didn't turn out too good, it was dry and tough (I know, its venison) so im looking for ideas
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I do those with 1/2 to 1 jar of the pepperoncini's, shred the meat, and make sandwiches.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:12:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gotuonpaper] [#22]
Originally Posted By DS11M:
All right guys, I need help with venison roasts. I have probably 3 or 4, 3lb deer roasts from last year that I need to cook. The last one I did in the crockpot didn't turn out too good, it was dry and tough (I know, its venison) so im looking for ideas
View Quote

Cut up some fresh mushrooms and an whole onion.  Sear off roast in a skillet , then put it in a crock pot and cover with your favorite jarred gravy.  Shred and serve over rice or egg noodles.

Maybe add a few beef bouillon cubes or a little beef broth if need be.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Had this one in the pot yesterday and it turned out really well.

I agree with doubling it, I am a bit sad I won;t have more leftovers.

Thanks for posting!

6 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Can Tomato Sauce
3 Tbs Chili Powder
1 Tbs Ground Cumin
1.5 tsp Iodized Sea Salt

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By lowcountry:
Cambells makes slow cooker sauces in a bag.  I highly suggest the Moroccan Chicken.  I have done it with both boneless skinless thighs and breasts.  Delicious and way to easy.
View Quote

+1 good stuff
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#25]
You know I've been reading rave reviews on this recipe for a long time and finally broke down and made it. It is good but did not live up to the hype for me. I make something similar and in both cases the first thing that hits me is there is no eye appeal. It is un-icolored and drab, no pop for the eye.

I do something similar. Instead of cream cheese I use sour cream that I think gives a bit more pop to flavor. I add pimentos to this do add a tiny bit of color -- diced scallions might be a nice garnish -- and I don't use Italian dressing but I do wrap each piece of chicken with a slice of bacon -- mmmmm bacon --  and serve it over noodles or rice. I did the Italian chicken over baked potato because I had some laying around.

Originally Posted By Zedhead:
A cheap meal we make once every 2 weeks or so:

Italian Cream Cheese Chicken

Chicken breasts
Package of Italian Dressing
Block of cream cheese
Cream of chicken soup
Onion (if you have one, don't need it)

Cook on low 4-6 hours. The last hour or so pull the chicken out and use a blender stick (or whatever tool) to mix up the sauce well so it is smooth. Put the chicken back in and cook for a little more.

Serve over rice. I like lots of ground pepper on mine. I think it tastes even better the next day after it has been in the fridge.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By walt_l:

You know I've been reading rave reviews on this recipe for a long time and finally broke down and made it. It is good but did not live up to the hype for me. I make something similar and in both cases the first thing that hits me is there is no eye appeal. It is un-icolored and drab, no pop for the eye.

I do something similar. Instead of cream cheese I use sour cream that I think gives a bit more pop to flavor. I add pimentos to this do add a tiny bit of color -- diced scallions might be a nice garnish -- and I don't use Italian dressing but I do wrap each piece of chicken with a slice of bacon -- mmmmm bacon --  and serve it over noodles or rice. I did the Italian chicken over baked potato because I had some laying around.

View All Quotes

Chicken breasts

Block of cream cheese

Cream of chicken soup

Cook on low 4-6 hours. The last hour or so pull the chicken out and use a blender stick (or whatever tool) to mix up the sauce well so it is smooth. Put the chicken back in and cook for a little more.

Serve over rice. I like lots of ground pepper on mine. I think it tastes even better the next day after it has been in the fridge.

My wife and I tried this a couple months back and had that exact same impression.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#27]
It's definitely not a recipe that you'd find in a restaurant or winning any contests.

Just a easy, cheap, and simple meal for the family on a week night.

Originally Posted By Ashraam:
My wife and I tried this a couple months back and had that exact same impression.  
View All Quotes

Chicken breasts
Block of cream cheese
Cream of chicken soup

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Might be good to add veggies like frozen broccoli, carrots etc?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Chicken breasts
Block of cream cheese
Cream of chicken soup

View Quote

Zed - made this last night for the wife and I and also took a plate to my 84 yoa mother. Don't get the leftovers - there weren't any. Put 2 bowls of it down for my dogs and ate it like they were starving. Good stuff man. Thanks !!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:04:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Im digging this thread
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I did the pulled pork a few nights ago. man alive about 0400 the whole place smelled like Christmas..
best part is roomy is a vegan so its all mine!!!

keep em coming
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By HD357:

Zed - made this last night for the wife and I and also took a plate to my 84 yoa mother. Don't get the leftovers - there weren't any. Put 2 bowls of it down for my dogs and ate it like they were starving. Good stuff man. Thanks !!!!!!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HD357:

Chicken breasts
Block of cream cheese
Cream of chicken soup

Happy everyone enjoyed it :)
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#35]
I threw this one in the pot this morning for dinner tonight.

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/04/slow-cooker-tamale-pie.html

First time making it, so I'll update after I see how it turns out tonight.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#36]
It's definitely not a recipe that you'd find in a restaurant or winning any contests.

View All Quotes

Chicken breasts
Block of cream cheese
Cream of chicken soup

Huh.  I make it quite often, my kids love it and I think it's pretty good.  I've found it's better (at least to me) if I cube the chicken first.  I usually add some Colby cheese to the top of it too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I have some mixed beans and ham hocks in the crock pot right now with some chicken broth.  Never tried it before, we'll see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Every so often I pick up a ham, slice it and toss it in the crock pot with a 50/50 mix of Mt Dew and orange juice.  I use the ham for sandwiches, serve it plain or whatever.  Lasts a few days at my house and the kids love it.  It rivals Grandma's Easter ham (but please don't tell her that).    

My mom tried it also and added pineapple which was good too.  I don't like to do that because when there are only a few slices left I cut them up and add them to scrambled eggs.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:

Every so often I pick up a ham, slice it and toss it in the crock pot with a 50/50 mix of Mt Dew and orange juice.  I use the ham for sandwiches, serve it plain or whatever.  Lasts a few days at my house and the kids love it.  It rivals Grandma's Easter ham (but please don't tell her that).    

My mom tried it also and added pineapple which was good too.  I don't like to do that because when there are only a few slices left I cut them up and add them to scrambled eggs.  
View Quote

Hmm, that sounds quick and tasty.  I'll have to give that a try!

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
Slow Cooker Hot Wings

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30963-slow-cooker-hot-wings

View Quote

These look amazing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:15:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
Slow Cooker Hot Wings

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30963-slow-cooker-hot-wings

View Quote

I cooked these last weekend and thought they were great. We had some friends over and several people said they were the best wings they have ever had. Literally fell off the bone.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#42]
I followed the recipe in the oven and my oven must run hot.  It got them pretty dark. Darker than I wanted.  

I also put the sugar in the sauce when they were in the slow cooker and not after so I wasn't 100% happy with them.  

Trial run.  Will do some differently next time.  

Not giving up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#43]
OST
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By gotuonpaper:
I followed the recipe in the oven and my oven must run hot.  It got them pretty dark. Darker than I wanted.  

I also put the sugar in the sauce when they were in the slow cooker and not after so I wasn't 100% happy with them.  

Trial run.  Will do some differently next time.  

Not giving up.
View Quote

they were darker because you added the sugar before they went into the oven and it(the sugar) "burned" while they were in there
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#45]
There was a recipe posted here for a dip with cream cheese, sour cream and cooked sausage.  It is my younger son's favorite now, and I think it's great.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
This is a Cook's Illustrated recipe - by far the best beef stew I've had.

Slow-Cooker HeartyBeef Stew

Ingredients

pounds  boneless beef chuck-eye  roast , cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces

¼  

cup  vegetable oil

Salt and pepper

onions , chopped fine

(6-ounce) can  tomato paste  

cups  low-sodium beef or chicken  broth

tablespoons  soy sauce

bay leaves

pound  carrots , peeled  and cut into 1-inch pieces

pound  parsnips , peeled  and cut into 1-inch pieces

pound  red potatoes ,  scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces

1  ½

teaspoons  minced fresh thyme  

tablespoons  Minute tapioca  

cups  frozen peas ,  thawed

Directions

1.       BROWN MEAT Pat beef dry withpaper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in largeskillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook half of beef until wellbrowned all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer to slow-cooker insert and repeat withadditional 1 tablespoon oil and remaining beef.

2.       BROWN ONIONS Add onions, 1tablespoon oil, and ¼ teaspoon salt to now-empty skillet and cook untilbrowned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, untilpaste begins to darken, about 2 minutes. Slowly stir in broth, soy sauce, andbay leaves and bring to boil. Transfer to slow cooker.

3.       WRAP VEGETABLES Toss carrots,parsnips, potatoes, remaining oil, ½ teaspoon thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½teaspoon pepper in large bowl. Place vegetables on one side of large piece ofheavy-duty aluminum foil. Fold foil over vegetables to form packet that willfit in slow cooker; crimp edges to seal. Stir tapioca into slow cooker; setvegetable packet on top of beef.

4.       SLOW COOK Cover and cook onhigh until beef is tender, 6 to 7 hours (or cook on low 10 to 11 hours).Discard bay leaves and transfer vegetable packet to bowl. Carefully open packet(watch for steam) and return vegetables and any accumulated juices to slowcooker. Stir in remaining thyme and peas, cover, and let stand until heatedthrough, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.

View Quote

Made this today, to the letter. All I can say is damn! Probably the best stew I've ever had.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

What's the word on this one?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By unsub073:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By unsub073:

Wife and I made this a couple weeks ago and it was quite good. It'll be added to our meal rotation.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#50]

I wonder if this could be done with a pork loin?  I've got a couple big ones I need to be using up.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLH3:

This is from the Pioneer Woman.  I modified the recipe to work in a slow cooker.  It's fantastic.

Ingredients

• 1 whole Large Onion
  • 1 whole Pork Shoulder ("pork Butt") - 5 To 7 Pounds
  • Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 1 can (11 Ounce) Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce
  • 2 cans Dr. Pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

Preparation Instructions

Peel the onion and cut it into wedges. Lay them in the bottom of the slow cooker.

Generously salt and pepper the pork roast, then set it on top of the onions in the cooker.  Set it fat side up.

Pour the can of chipotle peppers over the pork (include the sauce.) Pour in both cans of Dr Pepper. Add brown sugar to the juice and stir in.

Place lid tightly on cooker and cook on low.  We usually turn it on in the morning when we leave for work and it's ready when we get home. It will be falling apart.

Skim the fat from the meat first.  Then remove meat from pot and place on a cutting board or other work surface. Use two forks to shred meat, discarding any remaining pieces of fat. Strain as much of the fat off the top of the cooking liquid as you can and discard it. Return the shredded meat to the cooker, and keep warm until ready to serve. (You can also refrigerate the meat and liquid separately, then remove hardened fat once it's cold. Then heat up the liquid on the stovetop and return the meat to the liquid to warm up.

Serve on warm flour tortillas. Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, grated cheese, avocado slices, salsa, and whatever else you'd like.

I wonder if this could be done with a pork loin?  I've got a couple big ones I need to be using up.

It can, but is better with pork butt/shoulder. The meat in a loin tends to be dryer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top