Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 3/24/2017 11:56:56 PM EDT
Our cat was losing weight and we took her in for blood work.  The liver values are way off.  They don't want to proscribe medicine unless they know it is not cancer.  But, the cancer tests are $600, and she is already 15.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:10:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Our cat was losing weight and we took her in for blood work.  The liver values are way off.  They don't want to proscribe medicine unless they know it is not cancer.  But, the cancer tests are $600, and she is already 15.
View Quote

Put her down.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
my wife went to the vet to put down our cat of many years.  she said it was very peaceful.  She and the old vet cried.  We buried her by the dog we loved and remembered her fondly.  we only have pets for a short time....as is our own life really.  death is a part of life....not the fun part.  strength to you
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't let a pet suffer.

Don't look at cost, look at quality of life and if an animal is in pain. If it is, then be a caring pet owner and allow the animal to go peacefully.

If the animal is not in pain but terminal, then only you can decide what is reasonable to spend. However, to let your family [if you have one] suffer financially for an animal to live a short time longer is something one needs to reflect on before spending an obscene amount of money.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:19:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Tough decision.
We are in the same boat with one of our cats with a mouth cancer.  You can pour a lot of money into a pet family member but also remember the quality of life your pet will have.  Cancer treatments are not only expensive but they are rough on them.
At 15, the cure (treating the cancer) may be worse than keeping your cat happy and content for as long as you can.

Sorry to hear you are put into the rock and a hard place decision.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#5]
[Removed - this is not the general discussion - Paul]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:51:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone who knows me will tell you that I love little furry creatures a lot.
That being said at 15 years old the chances of a long and happy life are getting quite slim.
best of luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:47:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I love animals and never understood why people put there pets through treatments and pain just so they can have them a little longer.

Put the poor kitty down.  It doesn't need to suffer any longer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Removed.  -JR
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

........ at 15 years old the chances of a long and happy life are getting quite slim.
best of luck with your decision.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd do the first thing you'd do if you got bad news from your doctor - get a 2nd opinion. And look into alternative treatments, if possible. A vet at my clinic performs acupuncture, and while none of my cats have ever had it done I know people who swear by it for their pets.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the animal suffering or just slowly wasting away?

It's not an easy choice but if the animal is suffering then it needs to be put to sleep. If it's slowly wasting away but still has some quality to life I would keep it alive until it's time.
View Quote
This.  And 15 years is a long run for a cat.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top