Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 9:18:31 PM EDT
Ok I got my GSD last week and she is 5 months old.
She doesn't like to do anything. I'll get home from work and I'll get the leash to try to take her for a walk and she will just lay down.
I got some blue wilderness treats to try and help train her but she didn't like them at all,or any treat for that matter not even peanut butter
She doesn't even play with toys.so far she has got the potty stuff down for the most part.but she is still super lazy  

So ARF I need your help please

This is all she does
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you had her checked for parasites?  Worms in particular?  Any physical injuries?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Are her gums pink? When you press on them do they go from white back to pink in ~ 2 secs?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you had her checked for parasites?  Worms in particular?  Any physical injuries?
View Quote

No I have not I was going to take her to get her last shot this weekend If I'm free
And no to the physical injuries I've looked her over really good
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are her gums pink? When you press on them do they go from white back to pink in ~ 2 secs?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#5]
If she is broken, trade her in and get a cat.

Is she suffering from separation anxiety?

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

See I don't know,when she was at the breeders she was with her sister all the time.
And when I get home,she seams to be happy to see me but when I try to do something with her she just goes lazy.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

You'd know it from the destroyed items or house...

You might have a really chill GSD.  I also think she'll grow into her stereotype.  My female was similar to yours but she grew into her drive.  She is extremely smart, tenacious, and has a great prey drive.....she's also my best, most obedient, "normal" GSD.  Others require more......guidance

I'd suggest that you keep bonding with her, socializing, training, etc.  You'll reap the rewards down the road.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You might have a really chill GSD.  I also think she'll grow into her stereotype.  My female was similar to yours but she grew into her drive.  She is extremely smart, tenacious, and has a great prey drive.....she's also my best, most obedient, "normal" GSD.  Others require more......guidance

I'd suggest that you keep bonding with her, socializing, training, etc.  You'll reap the rewards down the road.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.
Now how can I train her if she doesn't like any treats?just sound excited?
This is my first GSD
Any help is very appreciated
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#9]
If it seems like the leash/lead is scaring her, you could always just leave it attached to her collar and let her get used to it.  I used a short tab lead on my current GSD to get her used to the weight of the leash on her neck/collar.

Obviously don't leave her unattended with it.  

Does she show any affection or seem like she is attached to you?

eta:  I've never used treats to train any of my dogs, including my last 2 GSDs.  Nothing but praise.  That being said, every dog seems a little diffferent.  My current female GSD is way more hard headed than my last male GSD.  She picks up things quickly, but she also has had a bit more of an up and down learning curve when she intentionally 'forgets' what she is supposed to be doing for certain commands.  Typical woman as my wife says.

eta2:  We have never had a puppy in the house before this current female GSD.  We normally adopt older dogs from rescues, so when we get this one from a breeder at 11 weeks of age it was new to us.

I bought this book by Caesar Milan:  

It had some good stuff in it, some stuff I didn't like.  It might have things in there that would help in your situation.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If it seems like the leash/lead is scaring her, you could always just leave it attached to her collar and let her get used to it.  I used a short tab lead on my current GSD to get her used to the weight of the leash on her neck/collar.

Obviously don't leave her unattended with it.  

Does she show any affection or seem like she is attached to you?

View Quote

She will follow me most of the time and will be by me,but if I turn real fast to get something or whatever she gets scared and will run away.( I don't tell her anything tho)
She will also do the same for my wife and little girl,but seams to like me more
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks tackleberry! I was just looking at the other thread about books,and was going to pick that one up and I'll go ahead and pick that one up also.
I need all the help I can get

But she did do something awesome the other day. Dude I didn't know came up to me in my driveway to sell something and she didn't like him at all and let us know what she thought of him.
That's why I kinda wanted a GSD so if I have to work late she will take care of my wife and kid

Eta: we live in a good neighborhood but a shitty city
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#13]
You might just have a laid back GSD.

Our last GSD, a huge male, was attached to my wife and I, but nothing compared to how our current female GSD is attached to me.  She's a damn velcro dog.  Can't get more than a couple of feet from her or she will move to get closer.  I'm ok with that.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You might just have a laid back GSD.

Our last GSD, a huge male, was attached to my wife and I, but nothing compared to how our current female GSD is attached to me.  She's a damn velcro dog.  Can't get more than a couple of feet from her or she will move to get closer.  I'm ok with that.  

View Quote

That would be cool,as long as she does the job I give her

And how your female GSD is,that's how I kinda want mine to be,doesn't have to be right on me but around
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ok.
This is my first GSD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.
This is my first GSD

They're all different, for what little that helps.  I raised my girl with praise and a clicker.  My 2 males respond well to chopped up hotdogs  I don't raise schutzhund or guard dogs though.  Mine are more like motivated, protective bed dogs.  It has pluses and minuses....particularly when my couches beds have to be covered in old sheets

Professional guidance, local dog clubs, anything else can/will help.  You just need to actually do things and not neglect/ignore them like a lot of animal owners do.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:54:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks tackleberry! I was just looking at the other thread about books,and was going to pick that one up and I'll go ahead and pick that one up also.

But she did do something awesome the other day. Dude I didn't know came up to me in my driveway to sell something and she didn't like him at all and let us know what she thought of him.
That's why I kinda wanted a GSD so if I have to work late she will take care of my wife and kid

View Quote

She will not do much if you do not train her to protect. You have a dog that wants to protect so train her, a lot of the work you can do yourself. I would look at http://leerburg.com/ especially at the Michael Ellis videos as he knows what he is talking about. I would also give her a few weeks to get used to you and your home.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

She will not do much if you do not train her to protect. You have a dog that wants to protect so train her, a lot of the work you can do yourself. I would look at http://leerburg.com/ especially at the Michael Ellis videos as he knows what he is talking about. I would also give her a few weeks to get used to you and your home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! I am planing on training her to do what she needs to do.
Right now,I'm just trying to get her to learn the basic stuff,then soon the bigger stuff.

Now she has gotten into this thing of eating her poop.how can I stop that?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They're all different, for what little that helps.  I raised my girl with praise and a clicker.  My 2 males respond well to chopped up hotdogs  I don't raise schutzhund or guard dogs though.  Mine are more like motivated, protective bed dogs.  It has pluses and minuses....particularly when my couches beds have to be covered in old sheets

Professional guidance, local dog clubs, anything else can/will help.  You just need to actually do things and not neglect/ignore them like a lot of animal owners do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.
This is my first GSD

Thanks I'm looking into local dog clubs so I can train her right
This is my first GSD and I want her to be the best she can be and for me to learn with her
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Right now,I'm just trying to get her to learn the basic stuff,then soon the bigger stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right now is when the training starts. Start playing tug as this is very important to get a dog tat will do bite work. This is a great video on getting the bite work started.  

http://leerburg.com/221.htm

Eating poop issues I have had was from the expensive dog foods, switched to dog chow and the problem ended.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:Eating poop issues I have had was from the expensive dog foods, switched to dog chow and the problem ended.
View Quote

A simple leash and proper supervision.

Your dog should not come off of it and you should not let go of it until you got your dog trained to NOT eat random shit that is laying around in the yard (and to STAY in your yard).

How good is all your 'bitework' advice when any random fool could walk up (or place in your yard) and hand your dog a hotdog filled with fishing hooks?

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ok.
This is my first GSD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.
This is my first GSD

Try boiling a chicken breast and cutting it into pencil-eraser sized bits.  If that doesn't work, well, oddly (to us) not all dogs are food-motivated, and you have one.  That can make training a challenge.  You have to find something that she loves... perhaps chasing a ball is her reward.  After she does something "right" reward with a couple tosses of the ball.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Give her time to adjust to her new home.
I acquired one of my GSDs at about 5-6 months of age, and he would just lay and look at me like I was crazy when I tossed a ball. Eventually, he would play ball 24/7.
She's a beauty by the way, congrats!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I acquired one of my GSDs at about 5-6 months of age, and he would just lay and look at me like I was crazy when I tossed a ball. Eventually, he would play ball 24/7.
View Quote

Mine would chase it and then quit when it stopped rolling.

She's now a ball fetching master.  Patience and repetition are key!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:51:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Your dog should not come off of it and you should not let go of it until you got your dog trained to NOT eat random shit that is laying around in the yard (and to STAY in your yard).

How good is all your 'bitework' advice when any random fool could walk up (or place in your yard) and hand your dog a hotdog filled with fishing hooks?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Eating poop issues I have had was from the expensive dog foods, switched to dog chow and the problem ended.

My GSD will not take anything from anyone,she doesn't like any food human or dog treats.
When she is on the leash all she will do is stay right beside me or my wife,and if we stand still long enough she will just lay down and look around.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Try boiling a chicken breast and cutting it into pencil-eraser sized bits.  If that doesn't work, well, oddly (to us) not all dogs are food-motivated, and you have one.  That can make training a challenge.  You have to find something that she loves... perhaps chasing a ball is her reward.  After she does something "right" reward with a couple tosses of the ball.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.
This is my first GSD

She will not take it tried that also nothing on it. Toys I will give her a toy and she will just set it down and look at it and nothing more
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is how she acts.when I throw the ball she looks at me like "hey dumbass,that ball was fine where it was and you had to go and mess that all up"

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Right now is when the training starts. Start playing tug as this is very important to get a dog tat will do bite work. This is a great video on getting the bite work started.  

Eating poop issues I have had was from the expensive dog foods, switched to dog chow and the problem ended.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't watch the video right now I'm in a bad area,but I can't get her to tug when I get her rope to play with her she gives up and doesn't do anything
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying that all she will do is look at the ball,so maybe one day soon she will go get it
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:51:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That is how she acts.when I throw the ball she looks at me like "hey dumbass,that ball was fine where it was and you had to go and mess that all up"

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Yeah, he would look at me like..."have you seen my pedigree...you want me to get that"? lol
Turned out to be THE best GSD I've ever had, and I've had quite a few. Still miss him dearly.
You two still need to bond. Lots of short walks, frequent play time that lasts a few minutes at a time, lots of praise. Be sure to socialize her properly.
She'll come around eventually and you'll have yourself a best friend for life.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, he would look at me like..."have you seen my pedigree...you want me to get that"? lol
Turned out to be THE best GSD I've ever had, and I've had quite a few. Still miss him dearly.
You two still need to bond. Lots of short walks, frequent play time that lasts a few minutes at a time, lots of praise. Be sure to socialize her properly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Lol.Thanks! We have been taking her for walks,spending time with her playing and stuff.she is getting better but still is lazy she will not do much but I'm guessing just spend more time with her and she will do better?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Consider yourself lucky.  The puppy stage with GSDs is like raising a tasmanian devil.  Mine is finally calming down some now and my yard, and house, is happy for it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Consider yourself lucky.  The puppy stage with GSDs is like raising a tasmanian devil.  Mine is finally calming down some now and my yard, and house, is happy for it.
View Quote

I got her to get me motivated Tho
Take her on walks train her to do the bite work and so on
She doesn't help
She is getting better tho,I'll start to play with her and she will do a little more then she use to.
But I am happy with her so far,she just needs a little more work so she can get to working.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Ok.

This is my first GSD

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.

This is my first GSD

I've never used treats while training. Just praise and petting. You just have to be consistent and only reward desired behavior.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've never used treats while training. Just praise and petting. You just have to be consistent and only reward desired behavior.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.
This is my first GSD

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't know if this will help. My male Sheltie hates the Blue Wilderness treats, except for the puppy turkey training bites. He also hates peanut butter, we give him a plain saltine. We just get him other treats. The female Sheltie will eat anything you give her and expects peanut butter on her saltine. The male is a picky eater and eats slow, female will finish hers and try to get his. Both are full of energy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not just worms but Coccidia,  pretty prevalent in Puppies.   Easy to treat.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top