Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2017 11:06:15 AM EDT
Any of you Sky Pirates fly for Wheels Up?

What's it like to fly there, schedule, bases, etc.?

I'm kicking around ideas for other aviation situations.

Might be nice to get away from EMS Ops.

I don't have any King Air 350 time but lots of B200 time and
a CE500 type rating.

Currently flying a CE560 Encore+ and the venerable B200 King Air.....
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
We just hired a guy from there.... Chances are you'll never see the Encore. Benefits are very good. Expect 14/10 duty days for your whole tour and be happy when  it doesnt happen. The 350s are very nice.

When I get a chance to talk with him, I'll answer your questions more specifically.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you sir !!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
My major airline recently fired a management pilot, who is a complete idiot in every aspect of life. He was hired by Wheels UP almost immediately after being fired.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I strongly suspect I will discover that my current situation is still better than anything else available.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know much about UP other than their starting pay is pretty good.  I am typed in the 350, it is a much more refined and easier to fly aircraft than any other king air (I have flown the 90 and 200).  It is docile and fast with piles of power at 1050shp a side.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:59:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I strongly suspect I will discover that my current situation is still better than anything else available.
View Quote
That is entirely dependent upon what you want and find desirable.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The part I hated about Air ambulance was the fact that it was 80-90% at night, all night.  If it was a day job I would still be doing it.  It was very rewarding work but that night stuff got harder and harder the older I got.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a couple friends at WU.  Only in contact with one of them, and infrequently.  Last I spoke with him he was looking to get out.  Flies a LOT.

Take a look at Executive AirShare.  You'll have the opportunity to upgrade more quickly into jets (PIC).  I was talking with my buddy over there (management) about salaries, benefits, etc.  He was looking at what our department did because they're looking to become more competitive with the industry.  This was a few weeks to a month or so ago...maybe a bump has happened already?  Don't know.  Anyway, the pay may not be great and the flying/duty time can be rough, but it could be a quick path to more jet time, if that's what you're looking for (don't know how much Citation time you're getting).  Heard several of their guys, one that I knew, went to SWA recently.

ETA: Ex-EAS 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:28:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't really care about the jet time really.
Have a few hundred hours PIC jet in the CE560.

Most of my time is in the B200 but mainly flying the 560 now.

I'm over 50 and not building time for the airlines.

Just sniffing around for other ideas.

29 years of fixed wing EMS is a lot and a change might be nice.

But with a 6 on 6 off schedule and home every day 99% of the time it's tough to beat.
Just hate the night shifts now. It is harder the older you get.

Our pay and benefits are so good that it makes it nearly impossible to leave.
I guess they do that on purpose, lol....

Saw a Wheels UP B350 and it looked cool and that made me ask.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top