Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2017 2:50:23 PM EDT
I just ordered a set of preview plans for the -8 model.  I'm curious to know what drove you to pick the model you did and your thoughts on the kits and overall experience with the planes.  I'm about a year out from being able to dive into this but I figure it is never too early to start learning everything I can.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I've looked at the 8 for years, and went so far as to "try one on" at Oshkosh several years ago. I'm 6'6" and they tout the amount of space in the cockpit and I wanted to see for myself. I almost started working on one, but then my future wife says, "I don't want to stare at the back of your head for God knows how many hours if we go somewhere. I tried to convince her it would be like being in a limousine. I'd still love to build one, but 3 kids later, I think it's going to be a few years.

ETA: My first flight ever in a light plane was in an RV6 the inaugural year of the EAA Young Eagles program. 
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Built a -6 with my dad when I was in high school and still fly it when we visit.  I'm also building a -7 (just about to match up the center and aft fuselage); I wanted a -4 but my wife said "if you want me to fly with you I'm going to sit next to you!".  

When that one's done we might be looking about for a multiple partnership in a -10.  Maybe.

Building just takes patience and enough discipline to not let too many things (or any big things) slide.  Anything that seems very difficult, just remember that almost 10,000 others have been there before you.  Best thing to do is find a builder near you that you can go hang out with.  Dad had a lot of guys over to see his project that later went on to build their own, and I've had a few over as well.

I just wish I could get done with the structure and move on to interesting stuff like wiring and systems work :)
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I built and fly an RV-6A.   Loads of fun!

Four Bravo Lima Goes to Kansas
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Built a -6 with my dad when I was in high school and still fly it when we visit.  I'm also building a -7 (just about to match up the center and aft fuselage); I wanted a -4 but my wife said "if you want me to fly with you I'm going to sit next to you!".  

When that one's done we might be looking about for a multiple partnership in a -10.  Maybe.

Building just takes patience and enough discipline to not let too many things (or any big things) slide.  Anything that seems very difficult, just remember that almost 10,000 others have been there before you.  Best thing to do is find a builder near you that you can go hang out with.  Dad had a lot of guys over to see his project that later went on to build their own, and I've had a few over as well.

I just wish I could get done with the structure and move on to interesting stuff like wiring and systems work :)
View Quote

Fortunately my wife says she won't mind riding in back.  How long did it take the build the -6?
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't mind a 7 at all. Very capable planes.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 1:25:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I own and fly a 4. Didn't build it though. Waaay too many hours to do that for me. Perhaps some day when family and work commitments allow...
IO360. 200HP. CS prop. Great flying little airplane.
<-------- this is it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been looking for about a year, and the -9 or -9A fits the bill and wallet for my type of flying.
I'll probably order the plans before the end of the month.
There are about 5 or 6 members of my EAA chapter that have RVs, so I've gotten first-hand information and it has all been positive.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I've always wanted to fly.  Since I was a kid.  Kinda my dream.  Wife shut me down.  Too expensive and she doesn't want me to fly for "safety reasons".  I'm still bitter about it.  I've been eyeballing the rv 8 for a Loooooong time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Was full speed ahead build on a 7A running an XP400 and MT prop Steinair Garmin panel for a friend until back injury sidelined me 14 months ago. Just completed 2nd surgery so hoping to be back on it in a couple months. Started with a derelict build that was mostly done structurally. 
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I need to tell you this same friend had an 8A but his wife didn't like sitting in the back seat, it was cold and breezy. The panel space is very limited for the latest avionics installations. Flat screens have a lot of modules you have to find room for, and cowl is narrow for angle valve engines. But with an O-360-A1A converted to Airflow Fuel Injection and a James cowl/Sam James plenum, it was a true 177 knot airplane. 
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife is pretty short. Could I have her sit in the front and fly from the back?

If I built a Van's it would be an 8.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Technically still a partner in an RV6 with 0360/cs. Really nice plane with autopilot and synthetic vision. Regularly run about 166Knots true (155 indicated). I say "technically" because my partner who owns 51% of it plans on selling it for a better acro plane than my Pitts.

The 6 was a good plane, I am sorta looking for another one to buy outright.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My wife is pretty short. Could I have her sit in the front and fly from the back?

If I built a Van's it would be an 8.
View Quote
Not full controls in rear. No brakes, fuel valve, electrical access from rear seat. Don't know about CG.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fortunately my wife says she won't mind riding in back.  How long did it take the build the -6?
View Quote

It took us about 5-1/2 years.  My -7 is going to take a fair bit longer in calendar time because I'm working on my own (rather than with a helper) and we have a baby--so not only does he take a lot of care and attention, but I can't pay him to deburr and do the minor tasks while I'm at work.

The plan right now is an O-360 base engine with electronic fuel injection from SDS, and some kind of EFIS (eventually getting to IFR capability).
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I built a -6 before they were pre-punched ( I attribute Vans going to pre-punched due to having me as a customer). Sold it less fwf, and built a Lancair before they had the fast build kits.
While building it I picked up a Bo 35. I loved that plane but very expensive, both on the ground and in the air. Retracts are a lot of fun but expensive (insurance and annuals).
I heard of a -6a that I knew a little history on being sold by the builders widow and bought it. Great performance and cheap to operate.
Are you planning on building in your kitchen? Fast build? Vans Airforce is a good resource while building.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#16]
My preview plans arrived today but I won't really be able to dig into them until this weekend.  Right now the plan is to build as much as I can in a 1 car garage before moving to a hangar.  I'm going to be constrained more by budget than anything else.  I anticipate this being a 3-4 year project
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:40:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not full controls in rear. No brakes, fuel valve, electrical access from rear seat. Don't know about CG.
View Quote

It's experimental. Couldn't the builder move all that to the back seat?

CG issues could be fixed too I think. Not sure exactly how as a don't know anything about a stock vans CG envelope.   But I know when you put a heavy 6 cylinder engine on a rv-8 you move the battery to the fuselage.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#18]
built and fly an 8, wife likes the backseat because it is all "her" space.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
built and fly an 8, wife likes the backseat because it is all "her" space.
View Quote

I told the wife I'd put up velcro strips for her so she can decorate it however she likes when she's back there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 3:04:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm seriously considering an RV-10.  I probably wouldn't even be able to think about starting it for a year or 2, maybe finished in 5 years from now.  That puts my oldest son at 22, my daughter at 19, and my youngest at 13.  So, a 4 seater is basically a necessity for now.  I'm also not a little guy, so the useful load of ~1000lbs would make it very easy to cart around the majority of my family and bags.

I've been looking at 152's and Piper 140's for after I get my license, but I really think I might just start saving the money and renting when we want to go somewhere.  I couldn't take my family in those planes anyway, so I'd have to rent anyhow.  Plus, the place I rent has a Cirrus SR20 that, while more expensive per hour, is actually cheaper to fly because it's considerably faster than a 172.    And, if I spend a lot of time in the Cirrus, I feel like the transition to the RV10 would be a lot easier.

It's either that or a Piper 235 or 6/260 or similar....

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm seriously considering an RV-10.  I probably wouldn't even be able to think about starting it for a year or 2, maybe finished in 5 years from now.  That puts my oldest son at 22, my daughter at 19, and my youngest at 13.  So, a 4 seater is basically a necessity for now.  I'm also not a little guy, so the useful load of ~1000lbs would make it very easy to cart around the majority of my family and bags.

I've been looking at 152's and Piper 140's for after I get my license, but I really think I might just start saving the money and renting when we want to go somewhere.  I couldn't take my family in those planes anyway, so I'd have to rent anyhow.  Plus, the place I rent has a Cirrus SR20 that, while more expensive per hour, is actually cheaper to fly because it's considerably faster than a 172.    And, if I spend a lot of time in the Cirrus, I feel like the transition to the RV10 would be a lot easier.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Starting a year or two from now and being done five years from now means you'll do your first-ever build in 3 or 4 years.   It's not unheard of, but it's not very common either.   They are a *lot* of work no matter how you slice it.   If you decide to do it, don't set timelines for being done and instead just enjoy the build process - you'll be far more enthusiastic about the project and won't feel disappointed by missed deadlines.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Starting a year or two from now and being done five years from now means you'll do your first-ever build in 3 or 4 years.   It's not unheard of, but it's not very common either.   They are a *lot* of work no matter how you slice it.   If you decide to do it, don't set timelines for being done and instead just enjoy the build process - you'll be far more enthusiastic about the project and won't feel disappointed by missed deadlines.
View Quote

Makes sense.  I feel like I'll probably be on the shorter end of the spectrum though.  I'm a pretty mechanically inclined guy.  Been building models since I was a little kid.  Tons of plane models, all the way up to 1/4 scale RC.  Rebuilt engines, I know bodywork, I know how to weld, etc.  

That said, I'm not trying to put a time frame on it, just sort of picturing in my head how long it might take.  If I can fly it by my 50th birthday (a little over 10 years from now) I'd be happy enough.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#23]
According to some of the guys in my EAA chapter, you'll wind up building two planes by the time you're done, because of mistakes.  
Don't worry, even those who've built multiple aircraft make mistakes.  Learn, and then move on.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

The biggest factors seem to be money on hand, and time available.  If you have all the money lined up and plenty of time to work (single, older kids, empty-nester; or you have helpers) your build will go a lot faster than someone like me, who's an experienced builder but is paying as I go and has a baby at home.  Since he came along I've been lucky to get 4-5 hours a week to work on it--on a good week.  I'm sitting at four years down and a few more to go.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#25]
As I was selling the idea to my wife I told her that at least she'd always know where I was.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Makes sense.  I feel like I'll probably be on the shorter end of the spectrum though.  I'm a pretty mechanically inclined guy.  Been building models since I was a little kid.  Tons of plane models, all the way up to 1/4 scale RC.  Rebuilt engines, I know bodywork, I know how to weld, etc.  

That said, I'm not trying to put a time frame on it, just sort of picturing in my head how long it might take.  If I can fly it by my 50th birthday (a little over 10 years from now) I'd be happy enough.  
View Quote

For sure.   That pretty much described me as well.  Flying models up to and including jets, engines, etc.   With a family and "life" happening, my -6A project was about 11 years to first flight.   I started in 2001, thinking I'd fly in time for the Wright Brothers 100th anniversary.   It didn't end up flying until 2012 not because of funds but because another kid came along, new jobs came along, the basement needed to be re-done, and other life events.   If you're single you'll have a way better time of it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thoughts?
View Quote

With the preface that I don't know your budget, skillset, or interest in building, but keep in mind that you can pick up a vintage Mooney M20F with a mid-time engine and decent avionics for around 30-45,000 these days, which I suspect is a lot less than your build cost of an RV; and when you finish your RV project, you can likely get most of your money back out of it. Time is your most valuable asset and unless you're one of the rare lucky ones who lives a long life and not lose their rights to fly due to deteriorating health, you have a window that you should take full advantage of while you can, and as such, my suggestion is that you get an airplane as quickly as you can make a safe, well-informed decision.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

With the preface that I don't know your budget, skillset, or interest in building, but keep in mind that you can pick up a vintage Mooney M20F with a mid-time engine and decent avionics for around 30-45,000 these days, which I suspect is a lot less than your build cost of an RV; and when you finish your RV project, you can likely get most of your money back out of it. Time is your most valuable asset and unless you're one of the rare lucky ones who lives a long life and not lose their rights to fly due to deteriorating health, you have a window that you should take full advantage of while you can, and as such, my suggestion is that you get an airplane as quickly as you can make a safe, well-informed decision.
View Quote

That m20f sure looks like a nice plane.  Fast.  Fuel efficient..  and pretty reasonably priced.  Maybe I should look at them a little.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That m20f sure looks like a nice plane.  Fast.  Fuel efficient..  and pretty reasonably priced.  Maybe I should look at them a little.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went back and forth on this.  I was ready to pull the trigger on a Cherokee 180 but I'm simply not willing to settle on flying a plane that is 10 years older than I am and has been through who knows what.  I'd much rather take the time and build exactly what I want.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I was all set to order a RV-7, then I finally got to talk to multiple builders...  After chatting with then, I found it was going to be a real challenge to build by myself.  One of them said his time could have been cut drastically, but he would get a lot of progress done then sit and wait for a time when his buddies could come help.  I'm now looking at building a RANS S-20 or more likely the S-21.  I've visited the factory and flow the S-7 and S-20...awesome little planes.  If the 21 can do anywhere close to what it says, then I'll be going for that.  Everything will be CNC milled, and the build time will be significantly less than that of a Vans.  I'm not looking any aerobatics...I go upside down plenty in my Guard gig.  Plus I have no desire to do that an any aircraft w/o an ejection seat.  It's not to say I won't try to build a Vans later down the road.  I really like he looks of them and they are an awesome aircraft.

RANS S-21
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#31]
If you've got the cash, go with the Quick-Build kit.
The fuselage kit alone will save you a lot of time, and the wing kit will also help.
The RV-8 builder in our chapter bought the quick build fuselage, and it has been a real time saver for him.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:23:58 AM EDT
[#32]
A good friend and I recently bought a very well built and fully IFR equipped RV-8 (not a G3X Touch, but maybe soon). He was good for the solo when we bought it, I was not. I got my tail-wheel endorsement in a Cessna 170B (also a great plane) about 2 months ago with a Warbird rated CFI who is also very competent and comfortable in the back seat of the -8. I'm now transition training into the front seat with him. It's fun training to be sure, but safety and competency are what count.

The bird is a little twitchy right at touchdown (and then things happen really fast ), but the RV-8 is just a remarkable airplane. You do need to work harder, but what a hoot!

I encourage more pilots to go get their tail-wheel endorsement, and also consider Experimental airplanes that may in many cases be a cheaper, and better alternative to a certified airplane.

I'll post a picture when I figure out how to do it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:31:22 AM EDT
[#33]
We must know a few of the same people @radioman12.

I think I saw the pics on FB  yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:58:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Could very well be Col; it's red, white, and blue. General Aviation is a great group, and we need more of us.

The plane generates a lot of interest, and there is always a lot of picture taking by both friends and people I don't know. All RV's, but especially the -8's, are pretty cool.

I see we are both long time ARF members, and low number posters; glad I'm not alone there
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I went back and forth on this.  I was ready to pull the trigger on a Cherokee 180 but I'm simply not willing to settle on flying a plane that is 10 years older than I am and has been through who knows what.  I'd much rather take the time and build exactly what I want.
View Quote

Granted, the person I bought my m20f from built an RV8 and sold me his Mooney (and I'd be willing to bet a handful of you know the guy). I believe the RV is faster, more fuel efficient, acrobatic and much more fun than the Mooney, but it only seats two and you can't carry much in it. The Mooney is a very strong airplane; one of the only light airplanes built with a full chromoly steel cage that you can still kill yourself in. It's a good IFR platform, seats four and has some room, though not much, for baggage. The statistical fact is that experimental fleet has many times the number of fatal accidents than the certified fleet.

You're going through the same sorts of decisions all of us go through in purchasing our first airplane. I used to think I wanted a Cherokee Six so I could take a bunch of friends on trips with me. I've found that nearly all of my flights are just me or me+1 and I like it that way. I think I could be very happy with an RV as well. I would not want a Cherokee 180 or 172. I believe the Cherokee especially carries some additional risks as a cross-country airplane. The slow speed and limited climb rate and limited fuel capacity I believe increases pilots' risk of fuel exhaustion. Yes, you should always plan and manage your fuel accordingly, but I have found that in my Mooney when encountering unexpected slow cruise speeds, such as a 50-60kt headwind in the southwest, and needing to insert an extra fuel stop, that I have a lot more options for accommodating fields. Likewise, when needing to climb to 17,000ft (with O2) to clear weather, I can do that where a Cherokee struggles over 9000.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Building a -7A here. Got the VS and rudder done, have to prime, dimple and assemble the HS and elevator next. I'm thinking of quickbuild on the rest of it though.

Same situation, I wanted an -8. but had to sell it to my wife as well since I'll expect her help . She didn't want to sit in a back seat, so we settled on a -7A. I have zero tailwheel time, and figured the insurance would be cheaper on a tricycle gear aircraft.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Building a -7A here. Got the VS and rudder done, have to prime, dimple and assemble the HS and elevator next. I'm thinking of quickbuild on the rest of it though.

Same situation, I wanted an -8. but had to sell it to my wife as well since I'll expect her help . She didn't want to sit in a back seat, so we settled on a -7A. I have zero tailwheel time, and figured the insurance would be cheaper on a tricycle gear aircraft.
View Quote

I invite people to fly with me every time I go and I never get any takers other than my wife but she's usually working when I get a chance to go.  Based on that the -8 is the obvious choice for me.  I'm still torn though.  I've been drooling over a Sky Reach Bushcat for awhile now and it would be well suited to the desert southwest.  I need to decide if I want low and slow or upside down.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#38]
8's are the best. They actually have more room per seat than the 7. I've had a pair of 14's come though the shop. Those are pretty neat.

I built an -8A just because I got a sweet deal on somebody else's  unfinished project.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Building an -8 ... slowly, been working on it since 2005.

Just bought a -10 and am going through the prebuy right now.  Great airplanes!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Building an -8 ... slowly, been working on it since 2005.

Just bought a -10 and am going through the prebuy right now.  Great airplanes!
View Quote

That certainly qualifies as a slow build.  I'll probably go with the quick build option on the wings, maybe the fuselage as well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That certainly qualifies as a slow build.  I'll probably go with the quick build option on the wings, maybe the fuselage as well.
View Quote

I was talking with someone in my EAA chapter that has built an RV9, and he said that the quick-build for the wings isn't really necessary unless you're in a big hurry, but the quick-build fuselage is the one that will save you a lot of build time.
He also  mentioned that it is best to do both wings at the same time, step by step moving from one to the other, which helps eliminate errors.
The most daunting task with the fuselage seems to be bending the formers, but someone makes a set of dies for those now, so that problem has been minimized.
I'll go with the standard wings, and if I seem to be taking too long or having problems, I'll go with the quick-build fuselage.
I figure the money I save on the quick-build kits can be put toward an engine or instrumentation.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'll go with the standard wings, and if I seem to be taking too long or having problems, I'll go with the quick-build fuselage.
I figure the money I save on the quick-build kits can be put toward an engine or instrumentation.
View Quote

That was my approach.  Sometimes I wish I'd gone QB on the fuselage, but then I look at the bank account and say "I can almost get an engine now!".

Bending the longerons with a set of dies is a piece of cake.  Did both of mine in less than two hours.  What reallysucks up timeis the deburr/dimple/prime process.

I'm tired of working on structure and want to get to the fun parts--FWF and electrical/avionics.  But I'm a systems engineer.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That was my approach.  Sometimes I wish I'd gone QB on the fuselage, but then I look at the bank account and say "I can almost get an engine now!".

Bending the longerons with a set of dies is a piece of cake.  Did both of mine in less than two hours.  What reallysucks up timeis the deburr/dimple/prime process.

I'm tired of working on structure and want to get to the fun parts--FWF and electrical/avionics.  But I'm a systems engineer.
View Quote

Hearing that you used the dies and they greatly simplified things is just what I wanted to hear.
The priming I can live with, it's the deburring that is probably going to drive me crazy because there are so many holes to debur.
I'll enlist the help of my wife on the deburring, and then promote her to bucking rivets.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thoughts?
View Quote

Personally I would not suggest a mooney for a brand-new pilot. For starters your insurance company is going to hate you. There's nothing more important than building time and getting experience. A 172 is perfect for that.  A 172 is a decent 3 place and bags airplane.  No it's not a fast plane but still a hell of a lot faster than a car.  And cheap to operate!  Same w Cherokee 160, or 180 for a bit more capability.  I just don't think purely renting will get you the experience you need.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#45]
The RV10 is super easy to fly. It's just like flying the other RVs just bigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top