BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2015 10:08:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it commutable?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a bad gig. Flying top knotch aircraft. They all sure seem to enjoy it. I thought this thread was gonna be about Great Lakes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I was Sure it was going to feature Hulas Air.  

Flying a Pilatus in that Terrain would be heaven.       hauling Africans and eating African food, would be horrible.   Can you imagine the smells?      
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
A guy I fly with is looking at flying for Great Lakes as a time builder.  From what I understand it's a company which will hire low experience pilots  to fly right seat on multi engine planes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I dream of landing a Porter on the side of a mountain.

Native savages are never in the fantasy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a bad gig. Flying top knotch aircraft. They all sure seem to enjoy it. I thought this thread was gonna be about Great Lakes.
View Quote

I got a letter from them a while ago. Seems they are hiring!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
the worst place is at a crash site
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
A Turbine Porter is on the top of my list when I win the Lottery...

...now if I could just remember to play the lottery
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#9]
In 1974 I lived in Kingston, Jamaica flying a DC-3 for four months.  Being a white southern boy in a black slum was something I only needed to do once in a life time.
Never left the hotel except to go to fly. When through flying it was directly back to hotel. I drank so much Red Stripe beer that I still gag when I see one. I got a really good sun tan at the hotel pool that probably accounts for my concerns about skin cancer now.

The flying was actually quite good. The longest leg was 30 minutes between Kingston and Montego Bay. The other legs were fifteen and twenty minutes to Port Antonio and Ocho Rios. I got a metric shitload of takeoffs and landings.

Kingston is the world's orifice through which the stuff of "poop threads" flows.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow...thanks!

I got roped into a few episodes on you tube. Total mismanagement of my time tonight!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really can't consider yourself to be an experienced pilot without having had at least one comically shitty flying job. I, myself, have had two.
So go for it! Treat them like a condom. Try it on, try to enjoy the ride, don't even think it'll be comfortable, use them for your purposes, and when your done with them just toss em in the garbage and move on to better things.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Hell, I've had a couple of flying jobs that were so shitty that I couldn't afford to buy new condoms, so I had to wash and reuse them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#13]
el supremos comments are the best.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:11:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Great Lakes has become the hiring pipeline for Travel Management, FWIW.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:25:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

We had a couple for toys. The owner ground looped the one on 2 different occasions. I never had an issue. Sold them both and bought turbo beavers. Not nearly the same performance, but less issues.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We had a couple for toys. The owner ground looped the one on 2 different occasions. I never had an issue. Sold them both and bought turbo beavers. Not nearly the same performance, but less issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is this "Turbo Beavers" of which you speak?
I will forever be fond of the "original Beavers".
Original Beavers had big round jugs on the front end.
In days of old many original beavers could often be seen whilst traversing the skies in Texas clad in orange hot pants and high heeled boots.  
In the bush the easiest way to tell the difference between an Otter and a Beaver is that the Otter has a bigger ass than a Beaver....or so it is said.
Sadly so, it is rare to see an original beaver these days. Otters of the larger-ass variety seem to be most prevalent in this day and time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Natural round jugs or a longer aftermarket, expensive, looks good front. The balance isn't the same with the aftermarket one. It isn't natural.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Natural round jugs or a longer aftermarket, expensive, looks good front. The balance isn't the same with the aftermarket one. It isn't natural.
View Quote

What were natural, full round jugs back in the 70's are now 36" & 38" longs. Time marches on.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Those nasty little strips look just about perfect for a helicopter.

After being done instructing, my first job offer was to go to Papua New Gunea. During the interview though, the chief told me I could go to PNG, the locals would try to kill me and cut my head off, the food would be shitty, and there would be no safe place to land.  Living conditions would suck too.

Or, I could go to Afghanistan, where the locals would try to kill me and cut my head off, living conditions would be better (U.S. Bases), the food would be good, and they would pay me nearly double.

Easy choice.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:39:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Those nasty little strips look just about perfect for a helicopter.

After being done instructing, my first job offer was to go to Papua New Gunea. During the interview though, the chief told me I could go to PNG, the locals would try to kill me and cut my head off, the food would be shitty, and there would be no safe place to land.  Living conditions would suck too.

Or, I could go to Afghanistan, where the locals would try to kill me and cut my head off, living conditions would be better (U.S. Bases), the food would be good, and they would pay me nearly double.

Easy choice.  
View Quote

And now you will go through life never knowing the secrets of pygmy pie
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The good news is that 117 and the ATP requirements seem to be choking those places to death, slowly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought the worst place to be a pilot, in terms of trying to pick up the wimminz, would be in Alaska.  There's no wimminz, and everyone's already a pilot.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:01:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I thought flying out of Hong Kong with a cargo load of fake dog shit was bad.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:31:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I was Sure it was going to feature Hulas Air.  

Flying a Pilatus in that Terrain would be heaven.       hauling Africans and eating African food, would be horrible.   Can you imagine the smells?      
View Quote

He's got a glass cockpit too!  Mine still has steam gauges.

... in FSX
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I thought flying out of Hong Kong with a cargo load of fake dog shit was bad.
View Quote

I have hauled bull cum in a Twin Beech, 6,000# of Polaroid cameras in a DC-3 and I could make off color jokes about my C-130 days, but I won't
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Thinking back, I spent 6 weeks during the summer of 1969 living in a one bedroom trailer house in Coyanosa, Tx (pop. - 98)
I flew 176 hours during that period in a 135hp Super Cub with a Sorenson belly tank killing bugs with parathion. I was a summer time millionaire with a cardboard suitcase. I took the proceeds and bought a new 69 Roadrunner convertible on my way back to college, dayum I wish I had it today !!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top