Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 12:55:49 PM EDT
For me, it's about 5 minutes.  I read on the interwebs (so it is true) that unless you remove the cello at least several weeks, or potentially months, ahead of time, it doesn't matter.  I have yet to try either way.

How to do you prepare your sticks to smoke?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
It doesn't really matter either way.  Cellophane is a slightly breathable plant based product.  So you can age them in or out of Cello.  I agree with Echoangel that grabbing an antiqued looking Cello wrapped cigar was always a treat.  Even if it was only the aesthetics of it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:11:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lol. cello on or off makes no difference.  take it off before smoking.  thats it.  pretty simple.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#5]
If it's going in my humidor it gets unwrapped.  But that's just me.

I know it doesn't make a bit of difference either way, I just like my humidor to not look like a retail store lol

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
lol. cello on or off makes no difference. take it off before smoking.  thats it.  pretty simple.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried storing them naked and with the cellophane. Bottom line, I thought the cellophane kept the 'gars in physically better shape while it had enough permeability to keep them humidified. Now if I took one out and cut it, then discovered it had a tight draw, I would leave it naked and put it in the 'dry box' at 50% for awhile to see if it loosened up. The secret to this is not only the lower humidity, its the fact of it being open at both ends, which facilitates any adjustment you're trying to make.
Sometimes I would buy bundles with no wrapper and they did fine naked. I'm just saying that with the wrappers on, I liked the way they kept better and the humidor stayed cleaner.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The wrapper allows movement through it so....if it came with one, leave it on.
Nothing better than a tinged cello as it crinkles as you unwrap it.
I smoke them after the cello is off and cut/punch is done.
I don't think you will find scientific evidence one way or the other to support letting the cigar "breathe" before smoking it.
Would you wait to smoke an in-celloed cigar???

Just my $.02....

Echo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For me, it's about 5 minutes.  I read on the interwebs (so it is true) that unless you remove the cello at least several weeks, or potentially months, ahead of time, it doesn't matter.  I have yet to try either way.

How to do you prepare your sticks to smoke?

The wrapper allows movement through it so....if it came with one, leave it on.
Nothing better than a tinged cello as it crinkles as you unwrap it.
I smoke them after the cello is off and cut/punch is done.
I don't think you will find scientific evidence one way or the other to support letting the cigar "breathe" before smoking it.
Would you wait to smoke an in-celloed cigar???

Just my $.02....

Echo

Bingo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I leave the cigars as they came.  It really doesn't matter.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:17:45 AM EDT
[#12]
One benefit of the cello I discovered:
Even thou cigar with cello on tends to age slower, the side benefit is it tends to even out the humidity around the cigar, even if it is a full box.  (I age my cigar in full boxes).
I have less uneven burning with celloed aged cigars versus the "naked" cigars.

Also, I use my cello as an indicator of aging, the cello will slowly turn yellow and brown, when your cigar age.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Even thou cigar with cello on tends to age slower, the side benefit is it tends to even out the humidity around the cigar, even if it is a full box.  (I age my cigar in full boxes).

Also, I use my cello as an indicator of aging, the cello will slowly turn yellow and brown, when your cigar age.
View Quote

How long does that take, for them to yellow? I always take mine off, just because I like the tobaccos to touch each other. Don't know if that does anything to the flavors, but I like to think it does.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I actually cut through it. I think it keeps my cutter cleaner. But I also think a lot of things are true that might be.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How long does that take, for them to yellow? I always take mine off, just because I like the tobaccos to touch each other. Don't know if that does anything to the flavors, but I like to think it does.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cello slowly turn yellowish brown.  You can see the difference between a 6 month old cello versus one from the store.
In about a year, you can actually see the tint.
I usually age mine for 5 to 7 years before smoking, so the yellowish/brown tint is very obvious.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#16]
It doesn't really matter either way. To me the big advantage of having them on is that the wrapper doesn't flake and chip as they get moved around in the humi.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I remove the wrapper about 5-10 minutes before smoking them.  I'm too impatient and spontaneous to plan that far ahead.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Cellophane doesn't make much difference to me. I leave them they way they came into the house and into the humidor. I pull off the wrapper and then do my toasting, within minutes usually. Real simple.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top