Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/22/2006 11:37:54 AM EDT
Budget allows the purchase of a new 42-50" TV. The myriad of models and selections are mide boggling. i don't need the best and looking at 1500-2500 for the TV

whats are the advantages and disadvantges to the types above.also what the differnce between EDTV and HDTV?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Lots of differences. EDTV sux, it's 'enhanced', looks like crap next to true HD.
I recommend looking at a lot of different models in the store to get an idea of what you want. Personally I'd go Plasma or LCD, DLP can cause some folks problems, depending on their vision.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Toshiba 52" DLP (720p) for $2250.  The picture is amazing, especially watching football.  I guess the locals news is reporting insane sales of HD sets in the Seattle area over the weekend.  I can't figure out why though....
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldnt trade my Plasma for 100 DLP tv's.

Plasma > All
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wouldnt trade my Plasma for 100 DLP tv's.

Plasma > All

Me too neither, hhm.

Get an HD Plasma.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#5]
LCD > Plasma >>> DLP.

But for 1500-2500, you ain't getting much in a LCD HD tv.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought LCD's didn't have the size yet. Meaning if you wanted a 42" TV you had to go plasma because LCD didn'tgo that big.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Budget allows the purchase of a new 42-50" TV. The myriad of models and selections are mide boggling. i don't need the best and looking at 1500-2500 for the TV

whats are the advantages and disadvantges to the types above.also what the differnce between EDTV and HDTV?

This is not gonna be the answer you wanna hear.

Unless you are content paying $2500 for something that only works for 3 years, buy a CRT or a good quality projector. Plasma and LCD TVs have some pretty serious design flaws that limit lifespan. Repairs are expensive. DLP I've heard is better, but I'd still stay away for now.

Search this forum for "Sharp"... a guy posted the other day about his wife's TV that bit the dust in 6mos. That was a real expensive TV

Seriously, take a look at what is happening with projectors these days. The advances in that technology have been pretty great, and you won't have any dead pixels to look at.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I thought LCD's didn't have the size yet. Meaning if you wanted a 42" TV you had to go plasma because LCD didn'tgo that big.

LCD's have been edging up tthere. I'm not sure what the largest mother glass size is right now, but currently the biggest LCD tv is 82 inches.

I'd get LCD over a plasma any day. Too manyhorror stories about plasma screens to tempt me, even though they may be lower cost at certain sizes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Samsung 61" DLP. It's 15 months old and still has the original bulb in it, it's on at least 12 hours a day at my house. The replacement blubs are around $250. The manual that comes with the set has instructions for replacing the bulb.

For the money, DLP is the way to go. If I were chosing a tv today I'd still go DLP.

JMHO
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'd get LCD over a plasma any day. Too manyhorror stories about plasma screens to tempt me, even though they may be lower cost at certain sizes.

But whats worse, plasma sets burning out, or dead pixels? LCD is inherently flawed, but so is Plasma, neither is a good compromise at their current price points. Not when you can get 15 years out of a CRT.

When disposeable flat HDTVs are PRICED like disposeable TVs, ie, $100/yr  then I may bite... $1000+ per year for a TV set is friggin' NUTS.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But whats worse, plasma sets burning out, or dead pixels? LCD is inherently flawed, but so is Plasma, neither is a good compromise at their current price points. Not when you can get 15 years out of a CRT.

When disposeable flat HDTVs are PRICED like disposeable TVs, ie, $100/yr  then I may bite... $1000+ per year for a TV set is friggin' NUTS.

I'd take a dead pixel here or there (on a 42" LCD screen that I watch from 10 feet away) over a plasma TV that burns out.

Me, I'm waiting for OLED screens.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a Samsung 61" DLP. It's 15 months old and still has the original bulb in it, it's on at least 12 hours a day at my house. The replacement blubs are around $250. The manual that comes with the set has instructions for replacing the bulb.

For the money, DLP is the way to go. If I were chosing a tv today I'd still go DLP.
JMHO

I agree with you there. Like I say, the DLP has an advantage in this regard.
I'd like to know when your tube finally goes. Hopefully no time soon.
I'd also like to know how long replacement bulbs will be available

Good luck to everyone with their TVs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Panasonic industrial model plasmas - there are  no better and they don't cost nearly as much as some.  Check out panasonic 42 inch - TH-42PHD8UK ($2,200) hi-def or TH-42PWD8UK ($1,350) for normal def

Check out www.avsforum.com for enthusiasts opinions. I have two of them for years and love 'em. Plus Panasonic is in their 8th generation now, so they've worked out all the problems and are very reliable. Industrial models are better because you get more features and they cost less (go figure). LCD's tend to not refresh quickly enough, to you get artifacts on fast moving scenes. Plasma is well tested over the years.

Also, check here for great prices and reliable delivery/service:

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/plasmamfr.asp?MFR=Panasonic

good luck

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#15]
DLP don't last .15 years when you have to replace the bulbs at $500 a pop every 2nd or 3rd year
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
DLP don't last .15 years when you have to replace the bulbs at $500 a pop every 2nd or 3rd year

They aren't 500 a pop anymore. The blub for my model is under $250. The price goes down every year. It's a user servicable part, you don't need to buy a warranty plan for the bulbs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

JMHO

Sony's new SXRD technology kicks DLP's ass. It's as bright and clear as a Plasma or LCD, but price is about the same as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Samsung DLP for sure!  This is the 57" model and I love it.  Plasma is brighter, but they burn out and cost more.  DLP's also burn out, but the bulbs can be replaced.  Cost was $2200 delivered.  You should search on cnet.com and www.pricegrabber.com for the best pricing.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I just bought a plasma in Dec. after doing a lot of research and viewing. DLP had a slight noise on it
that bugged me, but overall a nice picture. The newer plasmas have solved the wearout problem, didn't have that noise, and produced super colors, especially blues. Expected lifetime of mine was 27 years, at 6 hours a day. I ranked LCDs just below DLP, mainly for slow response (trails), less saturated color capability, and smaller screens (very few are making bigger than 40" and some of those are projectors). My plasma looked better at home than it did in the store. By the way, it is a Hitachi 42" Ultravision. My $.02.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#23]
we have to buy a tv soon
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#25]
LCOS is good. I find it better than DLP because it is a three chip technology where DLP is a one chip technology that requires a spining wheel to create colors. The spining wheel gives me a headache and causes some people to see what is called the rainbow effect. This is where you see a rainbow of colors following a moving object. But DLP is great for some people.

I would feel safe buying any of the technologies that are available now. I personaly went for a JVC LCOS set. It rocks. My sisters has a Hitachi LCD projection set and it rocks. I hear that plasma makers have improved the technology and they last longer than they used to.

My advice, go to several stores with a dvd of your choice and watch certain clips from that dvd. That is what I did and I picked the one I liked the best in my price range. And if they give you an attitude about watching some clips from your DVD of choice then leave and go to the next store. Remeber, you are spending a crap load of money on a set do it right and get what you like.

Things to look for: Black level. Does is show a good black or does all black stuff look like one big blob of ink where you can't make out detail in the black. A good scene for this is the scene in the fifth element where Bruce willis is at the opera watching the woman sing. He is wearing a tux and they show him stting there. If you can make out the wrinkles in his tux you have good black levels. If it looks like Bruce Willis head on top of a black glob then move on. The other thing you need to look out for is movement. Like I said earlier, some people see a rainbow trail with DLP and some people see a motion blur with LCD. I have not heard of those problems with Plasma but I never realy have done much with a plasama. When I bought my set last year Plasma HD was out of my price range. They have droped about a grand since then! And that is another thing. Be prepared to see what you bought this time next year drasticly cheaper than what you paid for it. It's the way electronics work.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Even though some of this technology has been out for a few years, we are really still in the "early adopter" stage of these new technologies and HDTV.  Just because many consumers are buying them doesn't mean we are in the latter stages of technology adoption.  It just means many of the masses have no idea they are "early adopters" and are taking in the inherent risks.  We may be moving into "earlyl majority" but I'm not so sure just yet.  Many of the new image technologies just don't have enough time on them.

Really, if you are looking for a 15 year TV, then only buy a CRT.  Otherwise, buy what looks best to your eye and fits your budget, and be prepared to replace it in 5 to 7 years.  720p is already starting to get replaced by the earliest 1020p sets.  There is no 1020p content yet that I know of, but that doesn't mean it won't be here in 5 years.....
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Tag for info...

My wife and I were making our way through Costco this weekend, and we stopped in the TV area.  

If you had $2500 to spend on a TV, what would it be and why?

The one that looked best to me was the 50" Sony LCD, but admittedly, I am not educated on the products out there.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Tag for info...

My wife and I were making our way through Costco this weekend, and we stopped in the TV area.  

The one that looked best to me was the 50" Sony LCD, but admittedly, I am not educated on the products out there.

www.costco.com/Images/Content/ProductLarge/905010LL.jpg

I just bought that unit. While I bow to cmjohnson in knowledge, I have to say, that unit has a fantastic picture, no complaints from me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Panasonic industrial model plasmas - there are  no better and they don't cost nearly as much as some.  Check out panasonic 42 inch - TH-42PHD8UK ($2,200) hi-def or TH-42PWD8UK ($1,350) for normal def

Check out www.avsforum.com for enthusiasts opinions. I have two of them for years and love 'em. Plus Panasonic is in their 8th generation now, so they've worked out all the problems and are very reliable. Industrial models are better because you get more features and they cost less (go figure). LCD's tend to not refresh quickly enough, to you get artifacts on fast moving scenes. Plasma is well tested over the years.

Also, check here for great prices and reliable delivery/service:

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/plasmamfr.asp?MFR=Panasonic

We just got the 50U... looks awesome!

-d
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#32]
DLP was an important milestone in micro-displays, because you got a huge screen for little out of pocket as compared to even plasma 3 years ago. But this is changing quickly!

There are 4 major types or rear-projection, or otherwise called ‘micro displays’:
• DLP = virtual pixels, bad response time, rainbow effect
• 3-chip LCD = initially poor contrast (black levels) but better in dark rooms.
• LCOS = An edge over the original LCD, because it is an in-organic substrate
• SXRD = superior in EVERY category, faster than DLP, brighter than LCD, and black levels that rival CRT.

Rear-projection has become such an important market that Sony has focused its attention to it, and moved away from Plasma.

Go to circuit city, they have a Sony SXRD display kiosk with the 50” and 60” models; it’s the best pic you have ever seen at this price point.

Before I get a bunch of shick from DLP people, your TV is not bad… and 2 years ago it was a great buy, however I work in the industry and I can tell you that the REAL 1920*1080 native panel resolution and of SXRD, and it’s response time, and it’s black levels, and it’s ability to break up a white light source with dichromatic mirrors into the 3 primary colors, and then each primary color going through it’s own SXRD panel, is far superior to a little color wheel and some moving mirrors that have to create virtual pictures, which is called wobulation.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
• SXRD = superior in EVERY category, faster than DLP, brighter than LCD, and black levels that rival CRT.

Rear-projection has become such an important market that Sony has focused its attention to it, and moved away from Plasma.

Go to circuit city, they have a Sony SXRD display kiosk with the 50” and 60” models; it’s the best pic you have ever seen at this price point.

When I bought my Toshiba DLP, I was also looking at the Sony SXRDs.  The Sonys were more expensive by a thousand dollars, but I felt the picture was worse than the Toshiba DLP.  Maybe it was the signal going to the TV in the store, but the picture on the Sony was noticeably "fuzzier" than the Toshiba.  This was especially apparent with text on the screen.  The Toshiba was very sharp, but the Sony had trouble.  For $1,000 more than the Toshiba DLP, I expected the picture to kick its ass.  However, that was not the case in my opinion.

This is what is so important about buying a TV, WATCH IT!  Everybody has different perceptions, and everyone's eyes are different.  Some see rainbow effects with DLP, others don't.  The key is to buy a TV that looks good to you.  This is a lot like fine wine.  Just because some critic says it is the best thing there is, doesn't mean that you'll like it too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Tag for info...

I am watching this exact TV right now that I bought at Costco last month.  It was 2400.00 which included the 500.00 Sony stand.  Don't forget to consider the price of a stand in you're calculations.  Its the Sony 50" LCD TV at the picture is excellent.  The bulb needs to be changed every 3 years at 150.00 per bulb, so not too bad.  I highly recommend it!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#36]
plasmas are a steal right now, DLPs are they way to go if you want a TV that big, An LCD would be my choice as i have a 37" one now. Be prpared to pay out the ying yang though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#38]
FYI - My Toshiba 52HM95 that I was so thrilled with blew its lamp after 725 hours!!  According to the manual, it should have lasted 8,000 with the settings I was on.  Apparently certain (possibly all?) 2005 Toshiba DLPs have lamp life issues.  While the picture is amazing, I can't recommend a Toshiba at this time.  It is possible they just got a bad batch of lamps, and my new one will work fine, but only time will tell.

Two forums that I've been following on this issue:
www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=19851&page=2&pp=10
www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=438276&page=174&pp=30

Makes me glad I spent the money on the Best Buy extended service plan, sounds like I'm going to need it...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Just last night picked up a

42in Philips plasma HDTV 42PF7320A/37 from Costco for $1899 plus tax.  CableCARD ready and HDTV tuner is built in.

Seems like a great deal for a great TV.  I was installing it last night and it has a really sweet option set and great picture.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#44]
DLP!
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I bought a Toshiba 52" DLP (720p) for $2250.  The picture is amazing, especially watching football.  I guess the locals news is reporting insane sales of HD sets in the Seattle area over the weekend.  I can't figure out why though....

Bought the same size and brand. Waited until football season was over and there was a $300.00 price break on the one I had been looking at for a year at Best Buy. Until then they would not budge off the price. Had read some crappy reviews on the 52" inch Toshiba, but have had zero issues so far. Just wish Speed Channel was in HD on my local cable service.
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

JMHO

Have had my Toshiba DLP about 5 or 6 months and its been rock solid. Stays on at least 12-14 hrs each day.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JMHO

Have had my Toshiba DLP about 5 or 6 months and its been rock solid. Stays on at least 12-14 hrs each day.

I'm at about 19 months now (give or take a week or so), still the original bulb in my Samsung DLP.

I'm happy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2006 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/31/2006 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tag for info...

I am watching this exact TV right now that I bought at Costco last month.  It was 2400.00 which included the 500.00 Sony stand.  Don't forget to consider the price of a stand in you're calculations.  Its the Sony 50" LCD TV at the picture is excellent.  The bulb needs to be changed every 3 years at 150.00 per bulb, so not too bad.  I highly recommend it!

I have the 42" version and love it.  It was $1500 @ bestbuy before the holidays. (Stand not included..)
Link Posted: 6/23/2006 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JMHO

Sony's new SXRD technology kicks DLP's ass. It's as bright and clear as a Plasma or LCD, but price is about the same as well.

I would agree, but I wouldn't get that TV yet. Its a 1080P television that will not allow 1080P input with the exception of Sony's proprietary fire wire(basically). When they put in HDMI connections that support 1080P, they'll have a sale. But I'm not spending a dime with them until they do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top