Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2015 12:42:39 AM EDT
Bought a blu-ray disc on sale, Anchorman, and it would load then flash the Paramount logo for 12 seconds then nothing would happen.
Thinking I had a bad disc I cleaned it and loaded it again and it still wouldn't play the movie
So I had a Sony Vaio with a built in blu-ray player and put the disc in it.  
It played fine so the blu-ray disc itself is OK
After a quick google search I followed the instructions at http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=BDPS350&upd_id=7711&os_group_id=6 and burned a update CD-R disc and did the firmware update.  I was at 7.1.09, now I'm at 7.2.26
Put in Anchorman and the disc played perfectly
This leads to another question, the blu-ray player has internet connectivity but not wireless, requires a cable to connect to the internet.  This would have been useful

in doing the firmware update and to take advantage of the BD Live features in some blu-ray discs.
My modem and wireless router are upstairs, the blu-ray player is downstairs so using a cable plugged into either isn't an option.
Is there a way I could use a laptop connected via wireless to my internet to plug the blu-ray player into the laptop and have the laptop provide internet access for the blu-ray player?
Laptop in question is running Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Couldn't you have just carried the player upstairs and plugged it into your router until it finished the update?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Couldn't you have just carried the player upstairs and plugged it into your router until it finished the update?
View Quote

unhooking all the cables, hooking them up, including to a computer monitor that may or may not have had the right plug for the DVD player, then flashing, the unhooking, carrying downstairs, hooking up all the cables again isn't worth it.

Took about 7 mins to burn a one time use CD-R disc and update.

From another thread I learned about internet connection sharing for Windows which if I knew about would have fit the bill

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-internet-connection-sharing#1TC=windows-7

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You c an buy a wireless access point for the player.  It's a small box that plugs into your player and then connects to your wireless router...   wirelessly.  They don't cost much ($20) and can be turned off when not in use.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Look into a powerline ethernet adapter easy set up and that way you can use internet features as well as getting consistent updates they normally run under 49.99 .
-sigadvantage-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top