Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2015 3:58:55 PM EDT
The last half-hour of Aliens ranks for me close to the very best half hour of action for any move I've seen. Just genius in every way. Action, cinematography, acting, SFX, design, lighting, you name it.

I just caught it in HD on cable the other day, this movie still stands up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the last half hour of Alien is just as exhilarating, except in a more "crapped my pants" sort of way.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#3]
one of the few sequels that equals/ compares well with the original

but then it starts going downhill fast for the Alien franchise
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a fan of James Cameron's early work.  I feel his work he did before he was given enormous budgets was the best.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Very fine movie.  Teh first rated R movie I saw in the theater, when I was 12.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very fine movie.  Teh first rated R movie I saw in the theater, when I was 12.
View Quote

Wow. I was a little older when it came out, but I didn't see it at the movies. This was the first time I'd seen it in anything other than crappy 480i standard definition. I couldn't stop watching. I noticed details I'd never seen before.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think the last half hour of Alien is just as exhilarating, except in a more "crapped my pants" sort of way.
View Quote

I can never say that either movie is better than the other.
Both are incredible films, just in different ways.

I feel the same way about Terminator and T2.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Alien is the best SciFi horror film I've ever seen.

Aliens is the best military-SciFi film I've ever seen.

Loved 'em both.  You just can't compare the two - they're entirely different genres.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Alien is the best SciFi horror film I've ever seen.
Aliens is the best military-SciFi film I've ever seen.
Loved 'em both.  You just can't compare the two - they're entirely different genres.
View Quote

Actually just watched them both back to back on Blu-Ray, just the other day.

Aliens is great movie, no doubt about it. However, Alien was better. Not even close.

As I was watching Aliens this time, I found the Marines and their behavior cliched; almost... cartoony. After watching Alien right before, it took me out of the experience.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I found the Marines and their behavior cliched; almost... cartoony.
View Quote

Do you feel they were cliched and cartoony because of the way characters were written in films before aliens, or because of films made after Aliens?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you feel they were cliched and cartoony because of the way characters were written in films before aliens, or because of films made after Aliens?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That was intentional. The Aliens flicks are great, let me say that right out. But the whole story underpinning it is the anti-military/industrial complex screed. Paul Reiser's character is doing the bidding of his masters, and his mission is to bring an alien home so they can weaponize it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That was intentional. The Aliens flicks are great, let me say that right out. But the whole story underpinning it is the anti-military/industrial complex screed. Paul Reiser's character is doing the bidding of his masters, and his mission is to bring an alien home so they can weaponize it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Intentional or not, it's a flaw. Watching Alien, I "forgot I was watching a movie". I got caught up in it. (Which is pretty cool, considering it's more than 35 years old, and I've seen it a bunch of times.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I am counting the days until I can show my kids this movie.  Director's cut of course.

"Alas my sons, you shall now be witness to one of the greatest movies of all time."

------------------------------------------
On a side note, it was awesome to watch their reaction to Darth Vader proclaim to be Luke's Father.  I should have recorded their reaction.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:22:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Aliens is good.  Alien is great.  Alien3 is almost unwatchable.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I still have the big set on Blu Ray.  Haven't watching any before.  I need to marathon them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Which version has the automatic sentry gun scene?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the Director's Cut of Aliens.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ain't gonna argue in the least.  When I learned that the little girls from Aliens was killed off in No. 3 I quit watching the series. Never bothered to see any of them in the theater.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Years ago I watched the director's cut with some college kids.  They had only seen that version and were surprised to hear me say that the sentry gun scene was not in the theatrical release (where I first saw it).

The last 30 minutes is one of the finest extended film climaxes ever created.  It started a whole trend of having finales be longer, more intense and often with a false ending or two.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ain't gonna argue in the least.  When I learned that the little girls from Aliens was killed off in No. 3 I quit watching the series. Never bothered to see any of them in the theater.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I'm re-watching them on cable as I can. I never saw any of them in the theaters first-run, so when I can see the first two at least in HD, I'm doing it. They are rich with details that get lost in VHS or standard def cable!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top