Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2010 5:30:17 PM EDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baha'i

This religion has half as many adherents around the world as Judaism, yet I have never heard of it until today.  Begun in Persia a couple of hundred years ago, they are a monotheistic religion and the largest religion after Islam in Iran, where they are severely persecuted, as in most other Muslim states.  Currently, India has the largest number of followers.

They accept many of the teachings of the Abrahamic religions yet have many core beliefs which could be considered as being ahead of their time, such as intelligent design.

They have some pretty interesting architecture as well.

Anyways, I don't really have a point to make here, other than to ask if anyone has any information or personal experiences or thoughts about this religion beyond what is available at the wikipedia article, i'd be keen to learn more.    It's very interesting to me and i'm surprised i've never heard of it before now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Baha'i shrine in Israel:

in India:

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Some friends of my mother belong to that faith. He was a travelling type and met her in Iran, I think it was.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The few I know are decent, hardworking people that seem to be happy and healthy. I know little about them other than what y9ou already posted.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I always that of it as the catch all. I've went over the basics a couple of times in a couple of class when I was in college. All the worlds religions point to the same GOD.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
My girlfriend is Baha'i.  From what I can gather, the basic gist is unity.  As a practical matter, this means just try to get along with people.  Be nice and non-confrontational.  

If you have any specific questions, I can ask her.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The worst I can say about them is that I can never keep straight which is their symbol and which is the South Carolina symbol. (tree & crescent moon like thing)
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my grandmothers is.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Rainn Wilson (Dwight Schrute) is Baha'i.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 5:08:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I always that of it as the catch all. I've went over the basics a couple of times in a couple of class when I was in college. All the worlds religions point to the same GOD.

All but one.

Ex 15:11
Who [is] like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who [is] like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful [in] praises, doing wonders?

Isa 45:18
For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I [am] the LORD; and [there is] none else.
Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else.

Ish 46:9
Remember the former things of old: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else; [I am] God, and [there is] none like me,
Jer2:28
But where [are] thy gods that thou hast made thee? let them arise, if they can save thee in the time of thy trouble: for [according to] the number of thy cities are thy gods, O Judah.

Jer 10:11
Thus shall ye say unto them, The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, [even] they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens.

Jer 16:20-21
Shall a man make gods unto himself, and they [are] no gods?
Therefore, behold, I will this once cause them to know, I will cause them to know mine hand and my might; and they shall know that my name [is] The LORD.

1Tim 2:5
For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 5:14:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baha'i

This religion has half as many adherents around the world as Judaism, yet I have never heard of it until today.  Begun in Persia a couple of hundred years ago, they are a monotheistic religion and the largest religion after Islam in Iran, where they are severely persecuted, as in most other Muslim states.  Currently, India has the largest number of followers.

They accept many of the teachings of the Abrahamic religions yet have many core beliefs which could be considered as being ahead of their time, such as intelligent design.

They have some pretty interesting architecture as well.

Anyways, I don't really have a point to make here, other than to ask if anyone has any information or personal experiences or thoughts about this religion beyond what is available at the wikipedia article, i'd be keen to learn more.    It's very interesting to me and i'm surprised i've never heard of it before now.

If part of the underlying question is “does it conflict with the Bible” then yes, it does.
If you can’t find a good comparative source on the web and would like further definition I think I can throw out a few of the primary differences if you would like.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 5:18:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All but one.

Who [is] like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who [is] like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful [in] praises, doing wonders?

For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I [am] the LORD; and [there is] none else.
Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else.

Remember the former things of old: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else; [I am] God, and [there is] none like me,
But where [are] thy gods that thou hast made thee? let them arise, if they can save thee in the time of thy trouble: for [according to] the number of thy cities are thy gods, O Judah.

Thus shall ye say unto them, The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, [even] they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens.

Therefore, behold, I will this once cause them to know, I will cause them to know mine hand and my might; and they shall know that my name [is] The LORD.

For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Logic fail.  Latter does not preclude the former.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 5:21:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Used to drive past this on a semi-regular basis:

http://www.bahai.us/bahai-temple
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#13]
They're globalists, one-worlders. Love the UN. Malthusians.

Peruse their website (link in a post above) and it'll tell you all you need to know.

If I'm feeling charitable that day, I'll call them "misguided."
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:08:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All but one.

Logic fail.  Latter does not preclude the former.

I think you were looking for the word "include"
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Main Entry: pre·clude
Pronunciation: \pri-ˈklüd
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): pre·clud·ed; pre·clud·ing
Etymology: Latin praecludere, from prae- + claudere to close — more at close
Date: 1629
1 archaic : close
2 : to make impossible by necessary consequence : rule out in advance
— pre·clu·sion  \-ˈklü-zhən\ noun
— pre·clu·sive  \-ˈklü-siv, -ziv\ adjective
— pre·clu·sive·ly adverb

Statement:  all of those religions point to the same God.

You provided quotes suggesting Jesus is the only God.

Your statement to not rule out that those other religions also point to Jesus.

Again, logic fail.

Possibly not theology fail, but definitely logic fail.

I can provide more than one map to a destination, that doesn't preclude me from being the only one who knows how to get there, nor does it mean one of the maps is the only map handed out.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:30:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
— pre·clu·sive·ly adverb

Statement: all of those religions point to the same God.
                            Close...but read it again.

Perhaps tolerate a "jesus"....but not the Jesus as He makes himself know in the bible.

Again, logic fail.

I can provide more than one map to a destination, that doesn't preclude me from being the only one who knows how to get there, nor does it mean one of the maps is the only map handed out.

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

To paraphrase ...I am the map.....and I am the only map.....there is no way to the Father outside of me!

Mat 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
"For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

To paraphrase again...there are plenty of ways and plenty of maps....and yes..they all go the same way in the end.....all but one...which leads to life!

But I must digress for we both border on thread hijack and I border on proselytizing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They're globalists, one-worlders. Love the UN. Malthusians.

Peruse their website (link in a post above) and it'll tell you all you need to know.

If I'm feeling charitable that day, I'll call them "misguided."

Yeah, I don't much care for their stance on global warming or the international criminal court, but other than that I don't find much that's disagreeable.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
— pre·clu·sive·ly adverb

Perhaps tolerate a "jesus"....but not the Jesus as He makes himself know in the bible.

Again, logic fail.

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

To paraphrase ...I am the map.....and I am the only map.....there is no way to the Father outside of me!

"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
"For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

To paraphrase again...there are plenty of ways and plenty of maps....and yes..they all go the same way in the end.....all but one...which leads to life!

But I must digress for we both border on thread hijack and I border on proselytizing.

So if a Bahai faith member were to "cometh unto the Father" it would be through Jesus.  He even describes Himself as a Gate (a fixed point, then, not a map or route).

That would be fully up to Him, not you, not me, nor anyone else, no?

Have you ever entered the lobby of an apartment building and pressed the buzzer for every room, and been buzzed in?
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 2/4/2010 6:13:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

— pre·clu·sive·ly adverb

Again, logic fail.

So if a Bahai faith member were to "cometh unto the Father" it would be through Jesus.  He even describes Himself as a Gate (a fixed point, then, not a map or route).

Have you ever entered the lobby of an apartment building and pressed the buzzer for every room, and been buzzed in?

But in this case, a rose by any other name does NOT smell just as sweet.

It's a failure of logic to believe that all monotheistic religions can claim to worship the same little 'g' god, let alone the big 'g' God given that the basic tenets of some of those religions contradict each other.  Not to mention that God's word is clear that the others are not Him.  How much sense does it make for Him to say one thing to Christians, with the little additive that "this is the whole contract in its entirety," and then say something else completely different to others?

None.  That's how much sense it makes.  If you presume that God's Holy Word is true, He cannot be the God of other monotheistic religions.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2010 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
— pre·clu·sive·ly adverb

Again, logic fail.

It's a failure of logic to believe that all monotheistic religions can claim to worship the same little 'g' god, let alone the big 'g' God given that the basic tenets of some of those religions contradict each other.  Not to mention that God's word is clear that the others are not Him.  How much sense does it make for Him to say one thing to Christians, with the little additive that "this is the whole contract in its entirety," and then say something else completely different to others?

None.  That's how much sense it makes.  If you presume that God's Holy Word is true, He cannot be the God of other monotheistic religions.  

We've been through this before.

If you assume God = Jesus = Bible, than yes.  That is why is said it may not be theology fail, just logic fail.

However, if you simply assume God = Jesus, and look merely at the quotes provided to "prove" the idea that no other monotheistic religion is looking for the same God, then it is a logic fail.  

There is also the troubling issue of, if there were only one God, naturally anyone looking for such a God would be looking for the same one.  Whether you, or I, or anyone else believes there's is a path that will lead to Him, is a separate issue.
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#22]

When I was growing up, I had a few friends whose families were Baha'i.  Total pacifist hippies.  Make love, not war, kids named Jennifer and Juniper, etc.  They were very nice.

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 5:30:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Hello everyone:
I've been a Baha'i for 37 years, and would be happy to answer your questions.

Valerie
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

— pre·clu·sive·ly adverb

Again, logic fail.

We've been through this before.

If you assume God = Jesus = Bible, than yes.  That is why is said it may not be theology fail, just logic fail.

However, if you simply assume God = Jesus, and look merely at the quotes provided to "prove" the idea that no other monotheistic religion is looking for the same God, then it is a logic fail.  

There is also the troubling issue of, if there were only one God, naturally anyone looking for such a God would be looking for the same one.  Whether you, or I, or anyone else believes there's is a path that will lead to Him, is a separate issue.

If you don't assume God=Jesus=Bible, then what's the point?  The whole "all gods are one and the same, we're just worshiping them/him/her in our own way" argument presupposes that there is truth (Truth?) in any and all religions.  Ergo, it would presuppose there is truth in Christianity.  How, then, can one logically conclude that any of the other religions worship the same God if Christianity's truth says they don't?  

Let me rephrase that.  One doesn't necessarily need to believe that God=Jesus=Bible.  One need only recognize that this is the Christian truth.  Believe it or not, it's still a failure of logic to conclude that a belief system's truth is going to contradict itself.

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 1:54:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Last year, we went to the park near our house, and there happened to be a big gathering of Baha'i there.  At least 150, maybe 200 of them.

Every one of the people I met was polite, courteous, and pleasant to be around.  They were also very well educated, at least the ones I spoke with.  Their children were extremely well-behaved - every last one of them.  So well-behaved that every single one of them was better-behaved than every one of the non-Baha'i kids at the park.  It was seriously impressive.

I don't know what they believe, but from at least from the standpoint of folks you would want to have in your neighborhood, they seemed about as good as it gets.

On one note, I mentioned to one lady that I was very impressed with all of the Baha'i kids.  She said it was because they go to "virtue school" every week.  Later, I mentioned to her husband (who was NOT a Baha'i) that I was impressed with all of the kids.  He said "Yes, they are beaten regularly."  I chuckled and laughed, assuming it was a joke.  He saw that, and grimaced, seeming to say "Uh... I'm not kidding."   I dunno what was up with that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#26]
for those who know Baha'is personally, how did they become members of the religion?  Are they of Indo-Iranian origin, or are they westerners who converted?  If so, how were they exposed to the faith?

Also, how do Baha'is view the United States, in particular with regards to the war against jihadism?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top