just curious

For those who are saying "WTF is a UU"

Unitarian Universalism
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#1]
edited<va-gunnut>
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I read up on it too.  Looks like a noble group of people.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#3]
edited<va-gunnut>
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:15:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I looked into the local UU church at one time, and in many ways seemed to be similar to my own - except that they seemed to be pacifists (against the use of force - even for self defense).

Correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#6]
there is nothing in the UU belief that requires pacifism.  Like any large group, there will be people all along the spectrum.   Several in my congregation identify with Buddhism and they are pacifistic.  I'd say most people fall in the middle ground where self defense is fine, but initiating violence should be a last resort.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I just read up on it....sounds too crunchy for me.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#8]
crunchy?  what do you mean?

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
crunchy?  what do you mean?

like birkenstock/soy milk crunchy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#10]
lol,
 nah we don't have any real nutjobs.   Its a varied group of people but they tend to stay closer to the middle of the road vice the extremes.

I like nature, but I don't go huggin no trees and I hunt when I can (not much these days)

Its a varied group and we tend to group together for shared activities (from shooting to planting trees) that interest a certain subsection of the congregation.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#11]
from site:

# Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.

translation, please.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#12]
UUism is a syncretic religion.  It takes what is useful from many religions in its goal of helping people learn to live spiritiually meaningful lives in the modern world.

Living in harmony with the rythms of nature would include things like:

adopting a stretch of highway to keep clean
recycling
planting trees along roads to help prevent soil erosion and combat deforestation
stewardship of animals (both pets and wild game)
fighting animal cruelty (like stopping people from screwing farm animals in WA state ;p)
participating in outdoor activities like hiking/camping/kayaking

There are very few (I have never met any, but I'm allowing for the possibility) radical UU's.   It doesn't fit with our mindset and those with radical bents aren't usually happy with our kind of fellowship.

Hell our radicals are mild when it comes right down to it
Arfcom Members of the Unitarian Jihad

Unitarian  Jihad  

Brother Shotgun of Compassion
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top