Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/20/2014 4:00:55 PM EDT
Does God exist? That is the most pertinent question you could ask in this forum.  Every thing else is mere details.

I sincerely hope this thread does not get locked, because it is the most important question.  

After being very religious for 40 years of my life I have decided that he does not exist.  And religion is a crutch that man has needed for most of history, but now with science at its current level, it is no longer needed.  

What say you? And please don't quote scripture to try and prove that God does exist, that is circular reasoning.  

This is a sincere question I have, I have lost my faith and it is one of the best things to have ever happened to me.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd rather be found righteous in the eyes of the One True God.

than religious in the eyes of all men.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I often wonder why nonbelievers come to the religion forum. Is it for answers?  Genuine curiosity here, not trying to be argumentative.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I often wonder why nonbelievers come to the religion forum. Is it for answers?  Genuine curiosity here, not trying to be argumentative.

View Quote

I guess I'm here because religion and family where the central themes of my life for more than 40 years.

And now after the loss of my faith, the central themes of my life are family and living as an honorable man.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, He exists.  And it's provable.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
"This is a front row seat to the greatest show on earth"

Who said that?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I guess I'm here because religion and family where the central themes of my life for more than 40 years.

And now after the loss of my faith, the central themes of my life are family and living as an honorable man.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why bother with honorable?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because values and integrity do not have to be intertwined with God and religion.  If they do, then more power to you. But as history has shown, they do not.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Who said that?
View Quote

It is a police related quote.  I do not know who originally said it.  As a police officer and a child abuse and sexual assault detective I have seen more sadness and tragedy than I could describe.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It is a police related quote.  I do not know who originally said it.  As a police officer and a child abuse and sexual assault detective I have seen more sadness and tragedy than I could describe.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said that?

Does that not at least prove that there's evil in this world?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Deep question I ask every single day since I found out my first wife (love of my life) was going to die an early death.  

I have done my share of cussing God out for seeing people I love suffer and or die.  I never have done that for myself...always for others.  Some very good people I knew in my life (much better than I ever could be) were taken away far to early.  

When my first wife was dieing, I found my faith deeply shaken.  The question you asked in your OP is the same I have been asking since 1986.  I still do not have an answer.  There are numerous books that question the same...."Why Bad Things Happen to Good People" is one.  It is worth the read.  

there are several possibilities that many point out.  

1.  God is almighty and Powerful

2.  God is helpless and cannot do anything for us

3.  God does not exist

4.  God does not care

5.  God loves us and gives us support in many ways we are unable to understand or see while we are here

Several of the above are dismal. If God is helpless and cannot do anything for us...many assume why care for God.  If God does not exist...then why worry....do whatever you like...live it up...at the expense of others.  there are some who would do the right thing if God did not exist...but a large percentage would do what was best for their personal interests and gains.

God does not care is one conclusion I have felt closest to at various times.  It is almost as though the world let God down...killing in the name of religion, sin, gluttony, etc....when God saw what we did with this world ...he said fuck it and left a long time ago leaving us to wait for Revelations when he finally takes care of the issue here once and for all.

Some people see that God is weak....due to the fact that if God was powerful...that all ills would be solved.  Some people claim this lack of solving issues shows that God lost interest in all of us.

The 5th point is one I have come to the conclusion of....it is about faith.  I pray every single day.  Not for myself...but for others.  I do think that God wants us to question....that is part of our journey we all go through in our lives on this earth.  I feel that when we pray, have faith, question, and help others, that God rewards us in ways we may yet understand.  I can only hope that when my day comes....that I can look back at my life and say I helped others.  I am not worthy of God's love and forgiveness...but I keep trying to reach that level in my life.  

My largest goal in this life is when I pass on, is to be greeted by the love of my life and to start a new journey together.  I know she went to heaven...I just pray I am worthy enough to join her when my day comes

I still question...but I do feel there is a God...and he offers more support than any of us can even begin to understand

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said that?

No doubt about it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said that?

Isn't so great, is it?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Has your wife left you?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does God exist?
View Quote

Philosophically, that argument goes both ways. To contemplate the existence of something is also to contemplate the absence of the same thing. I'm afraid I have no answer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No doubt about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said that?

No doubt about it.

If you can believe there is a force of evil, why is it so hard to believe there is a force of good?  I understand that law enforcement usually only get to work with the evil side of this world, my brother has been a cop for about 20 years now. That doesn't mean that's all that's out there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Organized religion is often a bad thing, your relationship with God is quite another.

People are inherently flawed, when they control and organize religion, it's no different than people that run a government, company or any other entities causing a downward spiral, people are turned off by it and it does much more harm than good.

Faith IS YOUR relationship with God, not the church you go to, or the people that are also a part of it.

If nothing bad ever happened, nothing good would either, nothing would have value, and those things we cherish would be just another thing.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you provide evidence of this? If so not only will you convince me, but you will likely become very wealthy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
No doubt about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who said that?

No doubt about it.

I see no evil without God.  No good, no bad.  Rape, starvation or euphoria, they don't matter.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dlsw9wsN60

The Science of Creation (significant info)

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#21]
OP if you lost your faith because something happened you didn't like then your faith was never strong enough in the first place. God doesn't owe you. You owe him.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Has your wife left you?
View Quote

WTF? No.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does God exist? That is the most pertinent question you could ask in this forum.
View Quote

Actually, IMHO, it only leads up to the most pertinent question, which is:

"What does He want for me?"
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OP if you lost your faith because something happened you didn't like then your faith was never strong enough in the first place. God doesn't owe you. You owe him.
View Quote

So, its always my fault, never the God who doesn't answer prayers, ROGER THAT.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

WTF? No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has your wife left you?

WTF? No.

Well, that's good!
Did you take offense to that question?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well, that's good!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has your wife left you?

WTF? No.

Well, that's good!

Offense? No. It was just out of left field.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, there's a guy that we just prayed for in the prayer thread, been a peace officer for 11 years now.
He IM'ed me and witnessed to me that prayer for him and his family indeed have worked for him.

Funny, that term, "RODGER THAT" is exactly the term that I used as a reply to his joyous witness!

So, what about YOU?
You don't get none?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has your wife left you?

WTF? No.

Well, that's good!

I'm saying for a guy your age, and because of your current profession; and what field that you are engaged in within that profession, then it is not out in left field at all!
You are a police officer right?
Why are you here?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God does answer prayer. It's "yes", "no", and "wait". Just because it isn't the answer we want doesn't mean it's not an answer.

God isn't a genie that grants wishes. He knows what's good for us when we do not. Maybe the things you were praying for would have ultimately been the worst thing for you. Remember the Garth Brooks song that says "some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers"?  Faith is believing that God is working all things for your good, even when you cannot see Him through the storm.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who said that?

Do you feel that the evil you encounter on a daily basis influenced your decision to give up faith?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
God does answer prayer. It's "yes", "no", and "wait". Just because it isn't the answer we want doesn't mean it's not an answer.

God isn't a genie that grants wishes. He knows what's good for us when we do not. Maybe the things you were praying for would have ultimately been the worst thing for you. Remember the Garth Brooks song that says "some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers"?  Faith is believing that God is working all things for your good, even when you cannot see Him through the storm.
View Quote

I would put forth that there's another answer that God gives some times - not a "yes" or "no", but rather "You go do it yourself.  And as you try, I'll help."
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I would put forth that there's another answer that God gives some times - not a "yes" or "no", but rather "You go do it yourself.  And as you try, I'll help."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. He'll see us through the plans He has for us, but we have to have the faith to take the first step out of the boat like Peter.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, ole pontoon Peter!

Seriously though, as a Christian I have seen some pretty amazing things coming out of the kingdom of God going on down here. And in this, I suppose that a purely secular individual could seemingly rationalize some of these things, but since probably about 99.6 percent of them haven't had or witnessed any of these things, then I again would suppose that the point would be moot according to them anyways.

But for the Christian on occasion, well, there it is.
Going to pull up a recent thread back up on top of this one were my wife and I just witnessed a very powerful storm which we experienced and would like anyone who cares to read it, then please do.

I cannot make anyone believe the account of what happened to us.
But it did happen, and I still thank God, in Jesus name for what He did that night on our behalf.
Everything that the Bible clearly states that God would do for us, He in fact did do just as His word specified!
Even more than that as we perceive it here!

Thanks, SAE

btw: It is entitled, "The Lord of All of These Things"
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently you never listened during your 40 years of church going.  

He knows what is best not you.  God is not a genie that grants your wishes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'd rather be found righteous in the eyes of the One True God.

than religious in the eyes of all men.

View Quote

can I use that?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said that?

and if there is one it stands to reason there is the other.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yeah, ole pontoon Peter!

Seriously though, as a Christian I have seen some pretty amazing things coming out of the kingdom of God going on down here. And in this, I suppose that a purely secular individual could seemingly rationalize some of these things into completely natural circumstances, but since probably about 99.6 percent of them haven't had or witnessed any of these things anyway, so then I would suppose that the point would be sort of moot according to them anyways.

But for the Christian on occasion, well, there it is though.
Going to pull up a recent thread back up on top of this one, where my wife and I just witnessed a very powerful storm system which we experienced and would like anyone who cares to read it, please do.

I cannot make anyone believe the account of what happened to us; or the many other things that God has accomplished for us.
But it did happen, and I still thank God, in Jesus name for what He did that night on our behalf.
Everything that the Bible clearly states that God would do for us, He in fact did do just as His word specified!
Even more than that as we perceive it here, as the Bible attests to that also!

Thanks, SAE

btw: That thread is entitled, "The Lord of All of These Things"
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said that?

The Bible says that the Scriptures can be logically deduced concerning their truth and authenticity.
Has there been mistruth or other things solidly revealed about it as to break these truths?
I rather think not.
The written word of God in sectional form or scroll has been around for quite some time now.
The Genesis account goes all the way back before Adam or the first man.
Quite a ways farther back.
Science as it stands now lines up very smartly with these events. Where is the big jawed monkey? It was a fake, like they have all been fabricated!
Purely secular science cannot account for a astronomically humongous release of all matter itself caused by a super-ultra high yet controlled energy release as we see and some-what understand and experience it at the present.
However, the Bible does, and is the only written archaic or modern statement of being which does.
And for some reason this is not logical or so we may not deduce on any level from or about these things?
Darwin was just another garden variety hater of the Most High God!
Many of them of this misguided ilk know it too! The Bible accounts and details this about them also.
All will find out in the end what its like to be at odds with the kingdom of God in their rebellious state toward Him.
Some act like the Scriptures have been broken to some degree as to where they might say that they are not true.
Like the unbeliever knows anyway..
I would go back to the drawing board for a while if I were you!
But, I have God to thank that I'm not denying God, as God is not Mocked in any event either!
The Bible clearly states that there is a man named, "Mocker."
uummmpphh
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhhhh, the condescending and self-righteous Christian.  Thanks, I'll go right back to church now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:39:17 AM EDT
[#40]
<><D><>tap
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:41:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Don't go back.
Or at the very least not from the one you came out of sounds like!
Looks like that one made you maybe just a tad arrogant and a little prideful in your own views also!
Right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhhhh, the condescending and self-righteous Christian.  Thanks, I'll go right back to church now.

Don't go back.
Or at the very least not from the one you came out of sounds like!
Looks like that one made you maybe just a tad arrogant and a little prideful in your own views also!
Right?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:51:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Something about science you said?
View Quote

Well, here you go once again.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:02:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must have quite the ego to do nothing but quote yourself.  Must have a lot of pride.

What a pitiable man.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said that?

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You must have quite the ego to do nothing but quote yourself.  Must have a lot of pride.

What a pitiable man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a pitiable man.

Right!
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#46]
You said it yourself. You lost your faith.

By definition, the existence of God cannot be "proven" in the scientific sense because, while we can observe what God has done, we cannot observe God Himself.

You either have faith or you do not.

I'm not sure why someone who has no faith would come to the Religion subforum unless it's for what you're doing: evangelizing.

You may have lost your faith, but you certainly haven't lost religious zeal.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You said it yourself. You lost your faith.

By definition, the existence of God cannot be "proven" in the scientific sense because, while we can observe what God has done, we cannot observe God Himself.

You either have faith or you do not.

I'm not sure why someone who has no faith would come to the Religion subforum unless it's for what you're doing: evangelizing.

You may have lost your faith, but you certainly haven't lost religious zeal.
View Quote

You know, just to contemplate a little bit about the, "lost faith" thing should really stimulate a Christian person's thinking in a certain direction.
What does it really mean when someone has proclaimed that they have lost their faith for some or no real reason that would be apparent to them.
Seems like most of the time, they haven't really got a clue about any part of this process.
Why?
Because many of them who ask questions here ask amiss; concerning one of the main reasons that the word of God has been given.
And that would be for people to read, study, and then most importantly; at least respect the Holy Bible for the truth according to it's teachings as filial love and respect for God is paramount teaching and eventual process.
The shield of our faith.
And if one cannot do that, well, there will be issues about what is really at the core of their faith process altogether.
And that would be God, speaking directly to us via the Holy Spirit (the Communicator and Teacher / Comforter of God) and through the Word of Jesus Christ for our own edification.
There is no substitute for becoming born-again and thus perfecting to become free of this world and its trappings; which were designed to bring us down from where God as said where we should be."In Him" or in Christ Jesus, and our sins hidden by His blood. This is the instruction and the truth; the pure and unadulterated truth by the way, which sets the believer at liberty and with power to show others the way to this unique and very great ministry, which God has given to us until Jesus Christ returns, as He will do this soon enough!

The Bible simply states that God toward the believer will cause that believer not to be put through any trial, or testing of circumstance, without being able first to adequately handle whatever it might be in such a manner; in which would get God's approval according to the outcome, whatever that outcome will bring for God's glory, and for His purpose concerning all things.

The prerequisite here also is for the person being tested to be able to become stronger through their faith challenge, and not weaker according to this substance that most of us call faith!
A most powerful substance as it might potentially stand concerning anyone and will!
Faith can and will affect us internally from being initiated from within ourselves, but also externally affecting us from other intelligent sources; and some not necessarily having to be close to us as the power of God is not limited to any one place, range, frequency, or station that we might find ourselves at, and at any time along the way in our walk or race with Christ at our head.
What are the differences between a strong and tested situational faith, and then one that has never been around the block before?
Could be quite a bit of difference between them and probably will be!
The student of faith should never consider him or herself to be better or more significant than their master or they will miserably fail as even a small task that they might  negotiate in this area we call everyday living if one is being put to the test for some reason could easily fail.
And the master here is the Jesus Christ, the Son of the One Living God!
Right out of the Holy Bible for starters and finishers: The Alpha and Omega.
But, we can be like Him though if we will study God's word to show ourselves approved!
And this one is very important indeed!

I believe that this man, as well as many others who say that they have suffered loss concerning their own faith may have misjudged some of the truths that they thought that they might have had at one time, possessed about faith; only in the end to studiously wonder whether or not if they really ever had any kind of real faith; or that being, the kind of faith that they only imagined or falsely perceived that they had in the first place.
A process of turning away as it seems.

And in this, we can see and understand why that it is that many of them in the after-realm of this situation eventually turn up atheistic, or into the various states and stages of agnosticism to say the least.
Maybe this is where many of them belong, as only God knows concerning who He justifies and who He doesn't and for what reasons.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Can you provide evidence of this? If so not only will you convince me, but you will likely become very wealthy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, it is right there in front of each of us.  Stand outside on a clear night and look to the stars in heaven.  That is the handiwork of God.  Study DNA sequencing, I mean really study the detailed symmetry and absolute mathmatical precision of it.  That is the handiwork of God.

Next, if that isn't compelling enough proof, then ask God Himself to reveal Himself to you, personally.  If you are sincere in your pursuit, He will do it.  He promised.

"Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things which you do not know."

Religion is useless.  A quest to know the Almighty - personally - is achievable, and exciting!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#49]
There even seems to be a paradigm shift in the secular scientific community about and also leading them to certain truths concerning creationism and intelligent design.
Even the ones from the old guard like Stephen Hawking and some of his colleges agree that secular humanist scientific theories and the like may shortly have to make room concerning the present and continuing evidence for the creation by super-intelligent designer scenario.
Don't believe it?
Scroll up a couple then and hit the hot link provided.
Evidence gentlemen; evidence!
Some of us here are not afraid where science might or might not take this thing.
Not at all!
The secular humanist scientific view has been challenged and now even some of the major elements and players of science itself are calling it away as impractical and unsustainable!
What's in your wallet chief?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#50]
OP,

God does exist.

I don't know why He choose to display so many miracles to me in my life. But He has. My only guess is He loves me and that's what it took to finally get to me. His ways are not our ways. We cannot understand the mind of God.

I've posted some of the miracles I've witnessed in my life on here before.

He answers prayers. Sometimes He doesn't. I don't know why either.

But I know three things for sure.  He is real. Christ is real. The Holy Spirit is real.

Have you ever been in terrible physical pain and agony for an extended period of time from an illness? Where you get to the point you are thinking about death would be a relief?

I have. And when I couldn't take anymore, I got on my knees and prayed with all I had and within seconds it all went away and I got better.

I was hit by a car on the interstate as a young man. Threw me a good distance. I remember flying through the air. The only thing that stopped my body in flight was when I impacted another vehicle.  

I cried out to the Lord as I lay on the asphalt in the middle of a lane on the interstate.

I got up and did not have a single scratch or bruise on my body.

There are other miracles as well.

God has left man to his own will. We are full of sin and He is perfect and Holy.  

I think in my opinion He is separating the wheat from the chaff.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top