Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/21/2017 6:58:21 PM EDT
sorry if Dupe..

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/21/harley-davidson-enters-race-to-buy-italian-rival-ducati-sources/
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh hell no!  

So you have the worst bike manufacturer trying to buy one of the best...what could go wrong?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Harley just wants to know the secret of getting more than 70hp out of a V-twin.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
what could potentially go wrong with this acquisition
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh hell no!  

So you have the worst bike manufacturer trying to buy one of the best...what could go wrong?
View Quote
Yea Harley is a terrible brand. I mean other than the fact they sell more bikes in the U.S. than everyone else combined. And they are masters of marketing. Not to mention their bikes have been extremely high quality for the past I don't know...40 years.

Let me guess, Harley are idiots for building bikes that their customers want.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yea Harley is a terrible brand. I mean other than the fact they sell more bikes in the U.S. than everyone else combined. And they are masters of marketing. Not to mention there bikes have been extremely high quality for the past I don't know...40 years.

View Quote

They are both boutique brands that make more from t-shirts than they do from selling bikes.  It might be a pretty good partnership.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]
10/30/2009   Never Forget.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yea Harley is a terrible brand. I mean other than the fact they sell more bikes in the U.S. than everyone else combined. And they are masters of marketing. Not to mention their bikes have been extremely high quality for the past I don't know...40 years.

View Quote
Extremely high quality?
You have been mis informed,
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't see it happening.

I sure hope it doesnt.  Two Duc owner here.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get the fuck outta here with that nonsense.

ETA: harley needs to stay far, far away from Ducati.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:43:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Get the fuck outta here with that nonsense.
View Quote

He didn't notice the bubble popping.  It happened right about when the stupid chopper buildoff shows went the way of the dodo, and the motorcycle cake decorators over at OCC went broke.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:49:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Cool, now they can fuck Ducati like they fucked Buell.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#13]
HD bought and killed Buell. i'm sure they have the same in mind for Ducks
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:09:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:13:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

He didn't notice the bubble popping.  It happened right about when the stupid chopper buildoff shows went the way of the dodo, and the motorcycle cake decorators over at OCC went broke.
View Quote
Yup. I have a very young cousin that when he graduated hs went straight to some motorcycle mechanic school a couple of years ago. He graduated and started work. I wonder how he's doing?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:15:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
What horrible mark in motorcycle history.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:19:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, but think of the cool Ducati leather vests that will come out of this sweet deal.

Maybe Polaris is the other bidder......
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:21:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HD is a clothing and home accessories company.  They have no idea how to make a competent motorcycle, and they will suffocate everyone in Ducati who does.

This cannot end well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:40:18 AM EDT
[#20]
It would be better if Ducati took over HD.

Former HD owner who had enough of exploding gearboxes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:53:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

HD is a clothing and home accessories company.  They have no idea how to make a competent motorcycle, and they will suffocate everyone in Ducati who does.

This cannot end well.
View Quote
My thoughts exactly. Poor Ducati if harley gets their grimy mitts on them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Lorenzo riding for HD? Bwahahahahahaha!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#23]
It's obvious you guys are emotionally attached and trying to argue from your feelings. The fact is Harley does make a very high quality bike. The fact is despite "the bubble" they are still kicking the shit out of everyone's sales. The fact is they have a massive dealer presence.You may not like cruisers, you may be too cool to ride one, but those are the facts.

Now before you guys get all uppity and think I am biased, I am getting ready to ride to work on a BMW R1200 GSA. I am just open minded when it comes to business. Hell, I wish my company had the marketing of Harley. I wish I sold as many T-shirts as them. That is a very smart business move.

And when we talk about Ducati their reputation is improving. Sure they were always considered sexy and a bit exotic. But also finicky and expensive. They really started to change that with the monster I think. But now what they are really doing right is their cheapest and their least powerful bike...the Scrambler. Which is being marketed to the hipster and fringe ADV crowd.

So basically to have a bike that everyone in the industry is talking about they had to build a bike more people wanted and that actually meant going backwards...sounds familiar.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't see an upside for Ducati.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I am worried about.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't see an upside for Ducati.
View Quote
No, neither do I.
If HD applies their philosophy of "Put trash components on bike, sell them slightly less trashy parts through parts counter", Ducatistas will immediately flee the brand.
And trying to lure most HD riders away from the traditional cruiser doesn't work either. The V-Rod is a perfect example of that failed idea.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Except of course Harley has made V-rods for sixteen years and sold only God and the Motor company know how many. I see them all the time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I am not happy with this.  I don't think HD has the management or leadership or vision to make this a win for anybody.  HD is losing business as the article says.  If they cannot do a complete and successful makeover of the products, they are in trouble in my opinion.

The main market is going away and newer riders do not want 900 pound bikes with air cooled, overheating engines.  One issue is liquid cooling.  No idea how HD took a perfectly good engine (V-ROD) and wasted it.  They are discontinuing the V-ROD.  Of course, Porsche designed that motor.  HD could not figure out how to design anything other than the 1903 engine that they still use today.

The smaller VROD Junior bikes, the Street models, suck.  They are made in India and are in NO WAY competitive with all the other mid size offerings out there.  I personally think HD is in trouble.

This coming from someone who has owned: three Ducatis (still own one), five Harleys (dumped last one in Feb), BMW, Hondas (own two now), Triumphs, Suzukis, Yamahas, etc.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am not happy with this.  I don't think HD has the management or leadership or vision to make this a win for anybody.  HD is losing business as the article says.  If they cannot do a complete and successful makeover of the products, they are in trouble in my opinion.

The main market is going away and newer riders do not want 900 pound bikes with air cooled, overheating engines.  One issue is liquid cooling.  No idea how HD took a perfectly good engine (V-ROD) and wasted it.  They are discontinuing the V-ROD.  Of course, Porsche designed that motor.  HD could not figure out how to design anything other than the 1903 engine that they still use today.

The smaller VROD Junior bikes, the Street models, suck.  They are made in India and are in NO WAY competitive with all the other mid size offerings out there.  I personally think HD is in trouble.

This coming from someone who has owned: three Ducatis (still own one), five Harleys (dumped last one in Feb), BMW, Hondas (own two now), Triumphs, Suzukis, Yamahas, etc.
View Quote
You say newer riders don't want a harley. I would like to know what you are basing that on. I feel like they are more popular now than they were 10-15 years ago.

They beat everyone in sales and it's not just old people. Pretty sure they were #1 in the 25-35 age group too but I can't remember where I read that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Despite the fact this is only meant to be spurious and is completely untrue lets just pretend it is true... I say again, Harley builds the bike their customers want. I build log homes and I have a hydrodipping business. I don't design and build only the houses I want and if you come into my Hydrodipping and cerakote shop I promise I will let you pick the pattern or color. I loved the Buell idea but despite the handful of us that loved them the company saw the writing on the wall. They have been doing this for a long, long time and like all companies have their ups and downs but obviously they are a powerhouse.

I have been listening to Harley being in trouble for 25 years now. If Harley is in such bad shape than maybe Ducati should buy them instead. Personally I hate to see the purchase as well as I like the market to have variety and I hate to see old brands sold off.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#31]
If it happens, will we see the return of the XR1200 series of bikes?
Will we see Duc making more Moto Guzzi like bikes?

Will HD pull Duc out of MotoGP? (That sells a lot of merchandise, so maybe not ;) )
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Except of course Harley has made V-rods for sixteen years and sold only God and the Motor company know how many. I see them all the time.
View Quote
Well, if you like em, you better grab one because this is their last year. Gone. Kaput.

As the previous owner of several V-rods, they pretty much abandoned that bike the day it hit the showroom. It was never considered a Harley by the airheads. I heard "Hardly Davidson" too many times to care. I owned a first model 2002. In 15 years, it got a couple cosmetics, a fatter tire, 70cc, and a slipper clutch. Oooh!

Dumped my most recent one last year for an XDiavel. Now THAT is an amazing motorcycle. It was developed as a V-rod killer, and HD took ONE look at it, and did just that. Killed the V-rod. Because figuring out how to get 50% more HP, at 80% of the weight, all while adding some amazing traction tech, was not going to happen at HD.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You say newer riders don't want a harley. I would like to know what you are basing that on. I feel like they are more popular now than they were 10-15 years ago.

They beat everyone in sales and it's not just old people. Pretty sure they were #1 in the 25-35 age group too but I can't remember where I read that.
View Quote
It is true but specifically for the larger bike category...I think that may be defined as over 900cc
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:22:42 AM EDT
[#34]
As for the V-rod...I despise the way they look. Have absolutely zero interest in them. I just know I see them riding around all the time.But is it really dead? We shall see. The bike was long in the tooth and needed some serious updates. I bet they dont abandon the motor.  I have never, not once seen a Diavel off the showroom floor. But, Ducati sales are like a fart in the wind compared to Harley sales and I live in a place where Harleys are a life goal so it is no way a fair comparison.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
The whole motorcycle industry is way, way down from 10-15 years ago.

One difference you see from 10-15 years ago is a lack of sales to the white collar crowd. You used to see a Harley in just about every other driveway in my area in the early 2000's. Now there are none. I think I have seen only 2-3 Harleys on the road so far this year (and one was a vintage model).

The doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc. of this generation aren't interested.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Maybe they will buy Ducati and then sell it back to Audi at a 25% loss...

Just like they did with MV (essentially paid the Cas brothers $20m to take back MV).
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well, if you like em, you better grab one because this is their last year. Gone. Kaput.

As the previous owner of several V-rods, they pretty much abandoned that bike the day it hit the showroom. It was never considered a Harley by the airheads. I heard "Hardly Davidson" too many times to care. I owned a first model 2002. In 15 years, it got a couple cosmetics, a fatter tire, 70cc, and a slipper clutch. Oooh!

Dumped my most recent one last year for an XDiavel. Now THAT is an amazing motorcycle. It was developed as a V-rod killer, and HD took ONE look at it, and did just that. Killed the V-rod. Because figuring out how to get 50% more HP, at 80% of the weight, all while adding some amazing traction tech, was not going to happen at HD.
View Quote
Exactly.  And the HD fanboys....
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#38]
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/11-ducati-motorcycle-chat/667521-harley-make-bid-ducati-4.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Despite the fact this is only meant to be spurious and is completely untrue lets just pretend it is true... I say again, Harley builds the bike their customers want. I build log homes and I have a hydrodipping business. I don't design and build only the houses I want and if you come into my Hydrodipping and cerakote shop I promise I will let you pick the pattern or color. I loved the Buell idea but despite the handful of us that loved them the company saw the writing on the wall. They have been doing this for a long, long time and like all companies have their ups and downs but obviously they are a powerhouse.

I have been listening to Harley being in trouble for 25 years now. If Harley is in such bad shape than maybe Ducati should buy them instead. Personally I hate to see the purchase as well as I like the market to have variety and I hate to see old brands sold off.
View Quote

Buell wasn't an "idea" of Harley.   It was Americas greatest chance to bring real sports bikes to market and Harley kept them suppressed the whole time.  I wish Erik never sold them a majority stake.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Desmo Harleys.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Oh hell no!  

View Quote
Please tell me they aren't... I've been itching to buy another Ducati, but this... This is just sad news  
Will probably look elsewhere
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
As for the V-rod...I despise the way they look. Have absolutely zero interest in them. I just know I see them riding around all the time.But is it really dead? We shall see. The bike was long in the tooth and needed some serious updates. I bet they dont abandon the motor.  I have never, not once seen a Diavel off the showroom floor. But, Ducati sales are like a fart in the wind compared to Harley sales and I live in a place where Harleys are a life goal so it is no way a fair comparison.
View Quote
It would really be a shame to dump that motor, but I just don't know where they would put it if not the V-rod. The traditional crowd wants nothing to do with liquid cooled, and they're slowly being weaned with the new cooled heads. It's a far better HD motor than the shovel and twin cam I've had.

But HD is looking hard at electric now, and I don't see them, with the new Milwaukee, figuring out how to put the revo in any of their current offerings.
Electric makes loads of sense from a torque perspective, but again, would they put that in a traditional cruiser frame? I doubt it. And muh pipes? Looking at Ducati? It all looks to me like grasping at straws.

HD has fallen on hard times before when traditional cruisers went out of fashion. AMF was a disaster, and HD doesn't know how to just scale down, lay low, and just wait for the next pendulum swing.
But I don't want them buying Ducati. Hell no. They'll source parts from China, the dealerships will get surly and unappreciative, and the HD name wouldn't draw anyone to a Ducati bike. A lot would leave though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Buell wasn't an "idea" of Harley.   It was Americas greatest chance to bring real sports bikes to market and Harley kept them suppressed the whole time.  I wish Erik never sold them a majority stake.
View Quote
I didn't say it was Harley's idea. Just a colloquial way of speaking meaning I like them and one day I will buy an old S-1 Lightening. But Erik needed Harley's working capital and obviously already had a working relationship with them. In the end Harley Fucked him for sure when you cant put your own name on the bikes you build.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It would really be a shame to dump that motor, but I just don't know where they would put it if not the V-rod. The traditional crowd wants nothing to do with liquid cooled, and they're slowly being weaned with the new cooled heads. It's a far better HD motor than the shovel and twin cam I've had.

But HD is looking hard at electric now, and I don't see them, with the new Milwaukee, figuring out how to put the revo in any of their current offerings.
Electric makes loads of sense from a torque perspective, but again, would they put that in a traditional cruiser frame? I doubt it. And muh pipes? Looking at Ducati? It all looks to me like grasping at straws.

HD has fallen on hard times before when traditional cruisers went out of fashion. AMF was a disaster, and HD doesn't know how to just scale down, lay low, and just wait for the next pendulum swing.
But I don't want them buying Ducati. Hell no. They'll source parts from China, the dealerships will get surly and unappreciative, and the HD name wouldn't draw anyone to a Ducati bike. A lot would leave though.
View Quote
I think we likely agree on all these points.

The only reasonable thing for Harley to do if they win the bid is to set up a better dealer network here in the US and market to more folks. Then step back and let Ducati be Ducati.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Indeed, they did not even offer a $85 Buell cotton T-shirt in the HD dealerships.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's obvious you guys are emotionally attached and trying to argue from your feelings. The fact is Harley does make a very high quality bike.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's obvious you guys are emotionally attached and trying to argue from your feelings. The fact is Harley does make a very high quality bike.
That is actually a lie.

The study, conducted among the 3 million subscribers to the publication's magazine and website, had responses from 1 million automobile owners, and got responses from more than 11,000 motorcycle riders. They shared their experiences and opinions on more than 12,000 individual motorcycles purchased new from 2008 to 2014.
The survey found that the Japanese brands Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda and Kawasaki were the most reliable brands, while Triumph, Ducati and BMW were, in the report's delicate language, "more repair-prone."
Harley-Davidson owners are twice as likely to experience problems that require repairs as owners of the Japanese brands, with 26% of new bikes needing attention.
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-consumer-reports-motorcycle-ratings-20160127-story.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always thought they messed up by not offering the Vrod motor in at least one traditional looking cruiser rather than jumping in with a whole new platform. They could have solidified the drivetrain and then offered the new platform down the road.

I ended up with a VTX in 02 after looking at a bunch of bikes but she he Vrod never appealed to me. Give me something similar to a Dyna Glide with that motor and it would have been pretty appealing. I think it probably could have worked in a touring bike as well where it would be a lost easier to hide it with cowling.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That is actually a lie.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-consumer-reports-motorcycle-ratings-20160127-story.html
View Quote
And as the article points out consumer reports fails to account for mileage or types of failures. However, you wont hear me saying the Japanese bikes aren't reliable. I have one of those as well for that reason.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I always thought they messed up by not offering the Vrod motor in at least one traditional looking cruiser rather than jumping in with a whole new platform. They could have solidified the drivetrain and then offered the new platform down the road.

I ended up with a VTX in 02 after looking at a bunch of bikes but she he Vrod never appealed to me. Give me something similar to a Dyna Glide with that motor and it would have been pretty appealing. I think it probably could have worked in a touring bike as well where it would be a lost easier to hide it with cowling.
View Quote
At 1200cc, it wasn't enough motor for a touring bike I think. My 103ci Road Glide Ultra (1700cc) was just about right, but I went to 110". Fully packed, 2 people, up a mountain road was not as strong as I would have liked. When my first V-rod got stolen, I dusted off my '77 1200cc FLH and I made it once around the block. Promptly sold it and bought another V-rod. It was just pathetically anemic after riding the V-rod. Even the 1800cc RGU is a lot of bark, not so much bite after riding an XDiavel. But different machines, with different purposes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Ducati has a passion for engineering, performance, style, and racing.

Harley Davidson has a passion for marketing.

I hope this doesn't happen.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top