Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2016 3:59:31 PM EDT
Does It require special tools to take a crv transmission apart?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#1]
yes it will have specific tools
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#2]
It takes special tools to take any transmission apart.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you define "special"?  As in ballpark cost?

I am keeping the core, and would like to get it rebuilt to keep as a spare.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Honda transmissions are not taken apart and repaired at the dealership level, they may replace the valve body but nothing deeper. Any rebuild will be done by a aftermarket transmission shop or a transmission rebuild company.

Are you going to attempt this yourself?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure whomever is doing the rebuild knows what they are doing, the Honda trans can cause you headaches if done incorrectly
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh, sounds like you just want to pull the transmission out, not rebuild it yourself?? Pulling it out should just be some basic tools. Sockets, wrenches, etc.  Floor jack and stands are a must too.
FYI, if you didn't know this. Honda ATF is specific and can only be purchased through a dealership.  Parts stores don't carry it.

Also, if you need to turn the engine's crank to access the torque converter bolts, keep in mind you can only turn the crank in one direction.  If you turn it the wrong way it will cause the timing belt to slip. Right now I cannot remember the direction, but do some research on it.

BTW, Not a Honda tech, just a driveway warrior with a bunch of cool tools and 3 Honda's in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ahh, sounds like you just want to pull the transmission out, not rebuild it yourself?? Pulling it out should just be some basic tools. Sockets, wrenches, etc.  Floor jack and stands are a must too.
FYI, if you didn't know this. Honda ATF is specific and can only be purchased through a dealership.  Parts stores don't carry it.

Also, if you need to turn the engine's crank to access the torque converter bolts, keep in mind you can only turn the crank in one direction.  If you turn it the wrong way it will cause the timing belt to slip. Right now I cannot remember the direction, but do some research on it.

BTW, Not a Honda tech, just a driveway warrior with a bunch of cool tools and 3 Honda's in my lifetime.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My transmission guy is doing the r&r.  I'm keeping teh core.  Trying to get a 'feel' for the degree of difficulty in rebuilding the old one.

Most likely I will have it done later when needed.  By someone who knows how to do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top