Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 349
Posted: 6/30/2008 8:36:33 PM EDT
All my brothers of the wrench, be you independent techs, dealer guys, owner/operators, how's things going?  Whatcha been up to?  

The work load in my hood has fallen off drastically.  It should be the busiest time of the year, with several cars left over from the day before, but we've been running out of work at around 10-11 AM for the past month or so.  Things are looking pretty ugly...and management hired two more technicians, when we don't have the work load to support what we've got.

Fortunately at least, with the weather, A/C work has been fairly consistent.  I ain't been doing great, but I've been holding my own...barely.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Ast tool has a bad ass wiring holder. It's expensive though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

Mickey mouse bullshit excuse. have them write up an RO, then void it when you are done. boom "insurance issue" avoided.

personally, i would bounce from a place like that.
View Quote
They told us the same thing at my shop.  We just do it anyways.  As long as your not impeding flow, who cares.  I keep a lot of money in that shop, and it won't kill them to let me work on my pickup for 3 hours once or twice a year.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Shop Forman "you got a ticket on that?"

Didn't catch you having one on your truck the other night.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#6]
My tech has a key to the shop.  She can come use the lifts anytime after hours or if it is totally dead during working hours.  Only thing I say is don't crush yourself over the weekend.  I do NOT want to come in to a bloody mess.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 4:36:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: confused89] [#7]

Mickey mouse bullshit excuse. have them write up an RO, then void it when you are done. boom "insurance issue" avoided.

personally, i would bounce from a place like that.
View Quote
We actually don't deal with repair orders, work orders, or work on outside customers vehicles. We use to be able to until last year when someone asked to do it and was told not because they would have been the only one in the shop and they did it anyway. The management wants two people in the shop at all times if someone is doing work. I am technically a customer of the shop even though I do work in it, and my group owns the vehicles that they work on so yeah it is a bit confusing. I will tell you all one thing, those ac machines are dang heavy when you are the only one there to load it. No mechanical way to load it, just lift it into the bed of the truck. Funny thing it that I am responsible for two very well equipped semi trailer/shops that are in the lot. When needed I am allowed to go into them and get the tools I need to finish work at home if needed.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess the drive shaft needed balancing.

Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
I guess the drive shaft needed balancing.

http://i.imgur.com/str5S3B.jpg
View Quote
But was it pretty close to balanced?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Coronado:

But was it pretty close to balanced?
View Quote
Don't know the brakes are so bad it makes instant right turns at low speeds.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By confused89:
AC machine, is it ok to lay on its side for transport? I know a refrigerator you are not suppose to.
View Quote
You're not supposed to because it might get compressor oil up into the places it shouldn't.

But yeah, it's not normally an issue as long as you don't plug it in immediately after bringing it back upright.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#12]
We have been busier than ever and with a ton of people out on vacation.  I only worked Thursday and Friday but oh man it was nuts.  Fifty plus appointments with thirty walk in waiters and only one alignment guy, each team down 2-3 guys and my trainee had to be on sprinters because they were swamped too.  

I focused on waiters.  I did all i could myself.  Then initially we had 20 cars to get cpo  certified and they got out on the back burner.  Today they had to get done so they could be available for sale Saturday.  This plus 20 or so loaner cars were getting turned over in the fleet so they needed gps tracker swaps.  We got started on those by the end of the day.  We got all the customer care done and most of the cpo cars too.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
We have been busier than ever and with a ton of people out on vacation.  I only worked Thursday and Friday but oh man it was nuts.  Fifty plus appointments with thirty walk in waiters and only one alignment guy, each team down 2-3 guys and my trainee had to be on sprinters because they were swamped too.  

I focused on waiters.  I did all i could myself.  Then initially we had 20 cars to get cpo  certified and they got out on the back burner.  Today they had to get done so they could be available for sale Saturday.  This plus 20 or so loaner cars were getting turned over in the fleet so they needed gps tracker swaps.  We got started on those by the end of the day.  We got all the customer care done and most of the cpo cars too.
View Quote
Does Mercedes not have an OnStar type system with GPS capability?  Seems like it would make GPS trackers unnecessary.  

We actually had a 2017 Santa Fe stolen off the lot last year.  Salesman had left a key in it for detail (inside the fence).  Apparently these guys had come around several nights in a row and just methodically went through cars stealing stuff.  They started the Santa Fe, popped the lower attachments off the chainlink fence and then drove it under.  Once we realized it was gone, we contacted Bluelink and they worked with the cops to track the car down.  Trunk was full of stolen stuff, including tons of guns when they found them apparently.  Does Mercedes have a system like that?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes but it requires a police report and won't do a starter lockout.  They don't give tracking info to anyone but leo.  This way we can always know where our cars are.  They are not allowed to leave the state.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Anal rape health insurance Monday

High deductible plan only

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to have good insurance.  Before Obamacare.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:29:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Still better than ours.  We actually held out for quite a while before our rates and deductibles went up.  I think our deductible was less than $2000 until this past year.  Went up to $6800 individual and $13000 for family.  Monthly rate went up at the same time.  Thanks Obama.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#18]
The takata  airbag vehicles are being released for sale "as is".  Takata  is bankrupt.  We have only received a handful of replacement parts and we have cars that have sat for 500+ days.  They cannot be sold as cpo.  Only as is used cars.  So we have a ton of inventory to get reconditioned for sale now.  

Jd  power is visiting tomorrow.  

I have a gle with an antenna that got ripped off on a garage door.  It's attached with windshield glue.  Since the roof is now slightly bent it won't seal.  I've taped up the roof and the antenna and using a gloved finger to pack glue in to the seam.  It doesn't look factory fresh but if it stops leaking I'll have to let it go with the explanation of it being that way because it will not sit perfectly flat anymore.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Good day today, had a used car dealer give me a case of beer and a farmer gave me a watermelon.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Evaporator in a Buick Lucerne. Not that big of deal. Did have to take the case all the way out and split it though.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#21]

I have a gle with an antenna that got ripped off on a garage door.  It's attached with windshield glue.  Since the roof is now slightly bent it won't seal.  I've taped up the roof and the antenna and using a gloved finger to pack glue in to the seam.  It doesn't look factory fresh but if it stops leaking I'll have to let it go with the explanation of it being that way because it will not sit perfectly flat anymore.
View Quote
Have had 2 Santa Fes in the last few months like that.  First once didn't look that bad, but couldn't get the antenna to seal.  They didn't want to pay for body work, so we packed it with RTV and got it as nice looking as possible.  The second one had a very visibly bent roof panel and I refused to even attempt it.  Sent it to the body shop.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Crackhead deal  $300 for all of it. 1/4" wobbles.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#23]
You did good. I have that torque wrench and love it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Slamming 10mm  bolts in with Milwaukee fuel 3\8 impact.  Speed clip explodes.  Bolt fails to fully thread.  I wasn't thinking.  I used my index finger to hold the speed clip remnants.  It spun.  I ended up using a pair of diagonal cutters to remove the skin dangling from my finger.  The whole wide of the first knuckle laid bare to the meat.  

I wrap it with electric tape and proceed to not be a little bitch.

Later on it is throbbing and shooting pain up my arm.  I grab first aid stuff and go to work.  Clean wound and bandage it.  i ask other team Leader To help cut medical Tape.  HE sliced My Middle Knuckle Open WITH A razor.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Slamming 10mm  bolts in with Milwaukee fuel 3\8 impact.  Speed clip explodes.  Bolt fails to fully thread.  I wasn't thinking.  I used my index finger to hold the speed clip remnants.  It spun.  I ended up using a pair of diagonal cutters to remove the skin dangling from my finger.  The whole wide of the first knuckle laid bare to the meat.  

I wrap it with electric tape and proceed to not be a little bitch.

Later on it is throbbing and shooting pain up my arm.  I grab first aid stuff and go to work.  Clean wound and bandage it.  i ask other team Leader To help cut medical Tape.  HE sliced My Middle Knuckle Open WITH A razor.
View Quote
Ouch!  I cut my pointer finger real bad pulling a convertible roof from a junkyard, superglue heats up but works.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:39:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#26]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#27]
He must have had a deal on that box. Good deal for you either way.

I work with a guy that went through a shop fire. He has a snap on epic box with power drawer. $12k list. He bought it for $6800 when he got it.

He got a insurance check from the damage and tried to buy a new box. Snap on guy hit him for full list and wouldn't budge. No explanation on why he may have got a deal on the original one. Nothing. The guy won't buy snap on anymore.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Time to grease the wheels on the box and call a rollback.  Finally got hired at a shop up the street ive been talking to for a while.  Didnt think anything would come out of it, but they shopped around and found out how sad the current crop of techs is.  Glad to be out of the shithole im in now, but they served their purpose, i needed a job christmas week..  itll be nice to go back to being able to pay all my bills again.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Finally!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:34:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#30]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:51:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By EFB16ACRX:
Time to grease the wheels on the box and call a rollback.  Finally got hired at a shop up the street ive been talking to for a while.  Didnt think anything would come out of it, but they shopped around and found out how sad the current crop of techs is.  Glad to be out of the shithole im in now, but they served their purpose, i needed a job christmas week..  itll be nice to go back to being able to pay all my bills again.
View Quote
Congrats!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Video surveillance of the chevy dealer that burned in Michigan

Facebook link
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jeep450:

Facebook link
View Quote
Wow, do you know if anything else burnt?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:59:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#34]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Facebook link
Not 100% sure but I think the entire service department burned 30 customer cars and 30 to 40 dealer owned cars plus all the technicians tools.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:
Thought you guys might enjoy this:  

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/g10340361/car-mechanic-nightmare-stories/
View Quote
Does this pic stress anyone else out?

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:25:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: olivers_AR] [#38]
View All Quotes
Harbor Freight jack and no jackstands, those jacks as a PoS on good days.  Formula to be cut in half or head taken out.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Not 100% sure but I think the entire service department burned 30 customer cars and 30 to 40 dealer owned cars plus all the technicians tools.
View Quote
I hate that for the techs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Jack stands are really expensive.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#43]
theres a jackstand on the pinch right behind where he's working.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By not_sure:

Jack stands are really expensive.  
theres a jackstand on the pinch right behind where he's working.
I actually zoomed in on the picture before I posted that and could not see a jack stand anywhere.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#44]
A guy I'm friends with on Facebook that lives close to the dealerships posted this.

Heard that the dealership outright paid all of the techs for their tools and are paying them their average weekly pay until they are back to work.  They said the dealership will sort it out with insurance later.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#45]
A guy I'm friends with on Facebook that lives close to the dealerships posted this.

Heard that the dealership outright paid all of the techs for their tools and are paying them their average weekly pay until they are back to work.  They said the dealership will sort it out with insurance later.
View Quote
Good to hear that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:13:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Had a coworker work on his car once without a jackstand. The car fell on him and killed him so yes, multiple jack stands are used every time now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:44:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#47]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#48]
http://i.imgur.com/SYP9rff.jpg

Still can't believe I caved. snappy dropped her off. was slightly bummed there was no scratches on the back  . lol

its a very nice box. compared to my old box the pictures don't really do it any justice. I know its not some huge monster epiq. but for a 1 manufacturer person I doubt I will outgrow it at least not for quite sometime.

I was already doing everything under the sun out of that 44 incher harbor freight special. if you spot the bobblehead you gain +1 to wrenching.
View Quote
The only reason I don't have a larger box, or a top box on my current box is because I own the shop and have a 4k sq ft tool box where I can store everything.  Been just using shelves to store specialty tools.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:07:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AgeOne] [#49]
I used to have good insurance.  Before Obamacare.
View Quote
me too.

really fucking good. for like $165 a month. now over $300, and they kicked back a claim from 2 years ago for cauterizing a bloody nose, telling me I needed to have the deviated septum fixed but that it will like also make the bridge of my nose collapse down due to the extent of the deviation (i'm obviously not going to do that, I'm ugly enough as it is). insurance was supposed to cover everything, yet they claim "Adjustment error with posting" and paid nothing.

Just got a 2yo bill for that at $891 dollars. are you fucking kidding me? the cauterizing only lasted about 3 months anyway...
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone have experience with the HemaCool fridges?  Trying to trouble shoot this with limited info.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 349
Top Top