Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 349
Posted: 6/30/2008 8:36:33 PM EDT
All my brothers of the wrench, be you independent techs, dealer guys, owner/operators, how's things going?  Whatcha been up to?  

The work load in my hood has fallen off drastically.  It should be the busiest time of the year, with several cars left over from the day before, but we've been running out of work at around 10-11 AM for the past month or so.  Things are looking pretty ugly...and management hired two more technicians, when we don't have the work load to support what we've got.

Fortunately at least, with the weather, A/C work has been fairly consistent.  I ain't been doing great, but I've been holding my own...barely.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope that Lincoln has power vent windows
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:

So, as a municipal employee, it’s a royal, royal pain in the ass to update or install anything.  I’m getting the update tomorrow, and it’ll take IS two weeks to install it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Also...dude, update your ET. It's 2023 doncha know.

So, as a municipal employee, it’s a royal, royal pain in the ass to update or install anything.  I’m getting the update tomorrow, and it’ll take IS two weeks to install it.

Our IT just pushes out an update to every tech and it updates itself.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Physically, it was about 6 feet behind me.  Electronically, even though the key will crank it, it doesn’t exist.
View All Quotes
Where da injun?

Physically, it was about 6 feet behind me.  Electronically, even though the key will crank it, it doesn’t exist.

What does system communication status say?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes
Where da injun?

I don’t remember. I went home after we towed it out of trash after a 12.5 hour day.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

Our IS handles an entire city government.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

We've got stores and offices across 4 states.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#9]

ECM update rate is reported by a few ECMs. Could be either lost power, lost CAN/CDL, or dead ECM. See if the fuse (or circuit breaker, can't remember if they use a CB or not) is popped.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]

ECM update rate is reported by a few ECMs. Could be either lost power, lost CAN/CDL, or dead ECM. See if the fuse (or circuit breaker, can't remember if they use a CB or not) is popped.
View Quote

Fabick is coming tomorrow. I’ll provide an assist, but I have 3 other pieces of equipment to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#11]
600 new vehicles enroute (mostly pickups, but over 70 fire engines in there), 800 more with no eta. Not enough parts to outfit everything, not enough space to store them all while we build them out, and to make it even better we are not standard across make, model, or even trim.
We managed to hire a guy to oversee the build out, I hope he doesn't quit half way through.

On the plus side, I got a second mechanic for my Hq shop hired and the guy is a rock star. Really knows his shit and requires almost no direction. Interviewing 7 more in a couple of weeks. I have 12 empty positions in the southern half of CA if anyone is looking for full benifits and a pension. Base wage is about 72k a year, with a lot of OT if its wanted. My highest paid guys are between 160 and 210k per year.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Fabick is coming tomorrow. I’ll provide an assist, but I have 3 other pieces of equipment to deal with.
View Quote

So, no pics because I didn't think to take them.  

I found out two things yesterday.  One, that a former operator (had moved on to greener pastures) knocked the keyswitch buzzer out of it's mounting point on the fuse panel on the 836 last year.  I don't know why, but it's what he did.  Also, the ECM shares the hot for that switch, and when that hot touches metal, it takes power from the ECM, blows several fuses, and kills the machine dead.  3 fuses and remounting the buzzer properly fixed the ECM issue.

Secondly, the average life of transmission solenoids for this machine is about 6k hours.  Right after the machine got up and running, and while the fabick tech was still there, the machine started moving like the parking break was quarter on.  #6 is 1st gear reverse, and when it's partially engaged while the machine is moving forward, things go fucky.

I'm on vacation next week, thank god.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Aspp:
600 new vehicles enroute (mostly pickups, but over 70 fire engines in there), 800 more with no eta. Not enough parts to outfit everything, not enough space to store them all while we build them out, and to make it even better we are not standard across make, model, or even trim.
We managed to hire a guy to oversee the build out, I hope he doesn't quit half way through.

On the plus side, I got a second mechanic for my Hq shop hired and the guy is a rock star. Really knows his shit and requires almost no direction. Interviewing 7 more in a couple of weeks. I have 12 empty positions in the southern half of CA if anyone is looking for full benifits and a pension. Base wage is about 72k a year, with a lot of OT if its wanted. My highest paid guys are between 160 and 210k per year.
View Quote

Sounds great and all, but.....CA
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#14]

I found out two things yesterday.  One, that a former operator (had moved on to greener pastures) knocked the keyswitch buzzer out of it's mounting point on the fuse panel on the 836 last year.  I don't know why, but it's what he did.  Also, the ECM shares the hot for that switch, and when that hot touches metal, it takes power from the ECM, blows several fuses, and kills the machine dead.  3 fuses and remounting the buzzer properly fixed the ECM issue.

Secondly, the average life of transmission solenoids for this machine is about 6k hours.  Right after the machine got up and running, and while the fabick tech was still there, the machine started moving like the parking break was quarter on.  #6 is 1st gear reverse, and when it's partially engaged while the machine is moving forward, things go fucky.

View All Quotes

Probably knocked the buzzer out cause he had a fault that was setting it off and just wanted to keep moving.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Probably knocked the buzzer out cause he had a fault that was setting it off and just wanted to keep moving.
View Quote

Iirc, the coolant flow sensor was causing a low coolant flow alarm.  The low coolant flow was caused by the c18(15? Don’t remember what this k has) and the cylinder sleeve issue a serial number range had.

Jokes on him. The buzzer he knocked out, and that was causing the issue, only sounds when the key is turned. The warning buzzer is behind the fuse panel and is on a separate deutsch connector.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Iirc, the coolant flow sensor was causing a low coolant flow alarm.  The low coolant flow was caused by the c18(15? Don’t remember what this k has) and the cylinder sleeve issue a serial number range had.

Jokes on him. The buzzer he knocked out, and that was causing the issue, only sounds when the key is turned. The warning buzzer is behind the fuse panel and is on a separate deutsch connector.
View All Quotes

Didn't know they had separate alarms.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

I didn’t either until I was told to disconnect the alarm and looked at the part’s manual to find it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#18]
@LittlePony what can you tell me about this engine #?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
Agreed. Its a beautiful state, with some amazing weather. Our politics are ruining things, but I'll be retired by 52 with lifetime medical coverage and it won't matter after that.

One of my bosses just retired at 50 and a day, got a 1300/month raise because of the way our pension works out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Agreed. Its a beautiful state, with some amazing weather. Our politics are ruining things, but I'll be retired by 52 with lifetime medical coverage and it won't matter after that.

One of my bosses just retired at 50 and a day, got a 1300/month raise because of the way our pension works out.
View All Quotes

Nice

I had every intention of returning to CO after leaving the Army and living the rest of my life there. In the time between when I left ('09) and when I got out ('13), the state went full mini-CA.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#21]
@LittlePony what can you tell me about this engine #?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/IMG_7032_jpeg-2830722.JPG
View Quote

Thats a Hyundai vin.

I cant read Hyundai stuff, I cant get service info, I cant even talk to Hyundai PCM.

what Model and engine displacement? might be able to give you some points kia side but quite a few Hyundai's dont even share oil pans with us now.

@TrashWrencher
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

Thats a Hyundai vin.

I cant read Hyundai stuff, I cant get service info, I cant even talk to Hyundai PCM.

what Model and engine displacement? might be able to give you some points kia side but quite a few Hyundai's dont even share oil pans with us now.

@TrashWrencher
View Quote

I thought those two brands shared stuff.

It’s a 2024 Hyundai sonata hybrid. Was afraid whatever engine it had was the same platform that has been giving Kia fits.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#23]

I thought those two brands shared stuff.

It’s a 2024 Hyundai sonata hybrid. Was afraid whatever engine it had was the same platform that has been giving Kia fits.
View Quote

its geting less by the year

could not tell you anything on that, we dont have the K5 hybrid in the states

and no pretty much all kias and hyundais 22 on dont have the rod bearing issues as all the engines are new gen stuff

hybrid sportage is close to the same powertrain and its good enough that we are getting one in a few years

@TrashWrencher
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:31:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TrashWrencher] [#24]
Thanks, bro.  I’d still feel better if my mom wanted a Subaru.

Nothing against the Koreans.  Her current car is a 13 Elantra.  But, I really think at 74, with a 76 year old husband that has health issues, she’d be better off with a really good AWD for emergencies or doc appointments in poor weather.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

How the hell is this holding air
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/317810/20230531_091825_jpg-2835405.JPG

View Quote

Tire bead is still set and holding.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/317810/20230531_091825_jpg-2835405.JPG

View Quote

In the same manner that Biden "won" the election...magic.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#28]
dude's been driving it around like that for like a month.

its a S4
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Nice

I had every intention of returning to CO after leaving the Army and living the rest of my life there. In the time between when I left ('09) and when I got out ('13), the state went full mini-CA.
View Quote
Ooo, that sucks! My last trip out that way was 2012, we were hunting north of Rifle. Been hunting there for years, same piece of ground with great results. It was over run with oil lease guys trying to charge us for hunting on their property (we were on private with permission) and bow hunters trespassing. Lease guys called the fur and feather cops on us multiple times in two weeks. Haven't been back since, and we hear it's only gotten worse there.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Ooo, that sucks! My last trip out that way was 2012, we were hunting north of Rifle. Been hunting there for years, same piece of ground with great results. It was over run with oil lease guys trying to charge us for hunting on their property (we were on private with permission) and bow hunters trespassing. Lease guys called the fur and feather cops on us multiple times in two weeks. Haven't been back since, and we hear it's only gotten worse there.
View All Quotes

Nice

I was stationed in Colorado Springs so I was right at the base of Pikes Peak.  I would take off on random roads and trails through the mountains and just disappear for a weekend. It was awesome.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#31]
2007 Nissan xterra. 210,000 miles. Regular oil changes. Regular maintenance done. My significant other is religious about it.

2-3 months ago had a active CEL for cylinder three misfire. And RR downstream o2 sensor. Slap a new plug and coil on it as a temporary measure. Full intentions of changing everything later. Life got in the way and didn’t happen. Was driving down the road two weekends ago and check engine light comes on flashing and she’s running rough. I park it and a fellow forklift mechanic brings me a code scanner.

P0300 multiple misfires. Get the truck flatbedded to the house and pull the spark plugs. And the passenger side bank looks like they may have had a little oil on them. The other side dry and fucked.

Slap new plugs,New coils. And send. Still misfiring like hell.

Snap on bro loans me an Apollo scanner and I’ll admit it. These gas engines, hell all engines aren’t my forte but I’m trying.

I changed the right side upper and lower o2 sensor and from the screen grab it doesn’t look like it’s coming online. Can anyone with more experience help me out a little.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Skid steer comes in and the guy says it won't move and that it has a right motor speed sensor fault. I pop the drain plug and can see what's left of the bearings in one of the planet gears. I also see a small leak around the duo-cone seal. Pop the cover off and no oil comes out and it has summer teeth. I pull up its history and see that the last 3 times it came in, it was written up that the right final was leaking. Just kick that can down the road.

Then, while I was doing my inspection I saw that the DEF gauge wasn't reading but had no codes for any DEF faults. I peek into the engine bay and find the DEF injector unplugged, lines removed and screws jammed into the lines. I look down into the belly at the DCU and see it's unplugged as well. Fully documented that shit as I'm not touching it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
2007 Nissan xterra. 210,000 miles. Regular oil changes. Regular maintenance done. My significant other is religious about it.

2-3 months ago had a active CEL for cylinder three misfire. And RR downstream o2 sensor. Slap a new plug and coil on it as a temporary measure. Full intentions of changing everything later. Life got in the way and didn’t happen. Was driving down the road two weekends ago and check engine light comes on flashing and she’s running rough. I park it and a fellow forklift mechanic brings me a code scanner.

P0300 multiple misfires. Get the truck flatbedded to the house and pull the spark plugs. And the passenger side bank looks like they may have had a little oil on them. The other side dry and fucked.

Snap on bro loans me an Apollo scanner and I’ll admit it. These gas engines, hell all engines aren’t my forte but I’m trying.

I changed the right side upper and lower o2 sensor and from the screen grab it doesn’t look like it’s coming online. Can anyone with more experience help me out a little.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/B3514038-B210-47A7-BA14-D2D3AA95BC48_jpe-2836988.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/FC820C95-F969-44D6-8933-E801B138E1D2_jpe-2836989.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/A543A8DA-700D-41EA-BB09-2AF880A45D0F_jpe-2836990.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/659A42FE-607E-455A-8457-6DC591008DD0_jpe-2836991.JPG
View Quote

I'm of no help, but I remember changing the passenger side plugs on my Xterra and hated every minute of it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#34]

I'm of no help, but I remember changing the passenger side plugs on my Xterra and hated every minute of it.
View Quote

I figured out the trick for the cylinder under the plenum. I can do it all in 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#35]

I figured out the trick for the cylinder under the plenum. I can do it all in 15 minutes.
View All Quotes

Where were you 8 years ago?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 2:58:15 AM EDT
[#36]

2-3 months ago had a active CEL for cylinder three misfire. And RR downstream o2 sensor. Slap a new plug and coil on it as a temporary measure. Full intentions of changing everything later. Life got in the way and didn't happen. Was driving down the road two weekends ago and check engine light comes on flashing and she's running rough. I park it and a fellow forklift mechanic brings me a code scanner.

Snap on bro loans me an Apollo scanner and I'll admit it. These gas engines, hell all engines aren't my forte but I'm trying.

I changed the right side upper and lower o2 sensor and from the screen grab it doesn't look like it's coming online. Can anyone with more experience help me out a little.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/B3514038-B210-47A7-BA14-D2D3AA95BC48_jpe-2836988.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/FC820C95-F969-44D6-8933-E801B138E1D2_jpe-2836989.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/A543A8DA-700D-41EA-BB09-2AF880A45D0F_jpe-2836990.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/659A42FE-607E-455A-8457-6DC591008DD0_jpe-2836991.JPG
View Quote
Disclaimer, automotive isn't my strong suit.

First thing that stands out to me is that you have one plug that is in ok shape and 5 burnt off to nothing. Figure out why you have no/weak spark there on the one hole. There is a good chance the o2 sensor is correct and you are super rich on Bank 1.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Disclaimer, automotive isn't my strong suit.

First thing that stands out to me is that you have one plug that is in ok shape and 5 burnt off to nothing. Figure out why you have no/weak spark there on the one hole. There is a good chance the o2 sensor is correct and you are super rich on Bank 1.
View Quote

That single guy is the one o changed earlier.  When I did the cheap route and changed just one on cylinder three.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Put a vacuum gauge on the Xterra and check it for a clogged catalyst
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By slows2k:
Put a vacuum gauge on the Xterra and check it for a clogged catalyst
View Quote

Ok. Can you explain the hows and why’s of this?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Catalysts like to come apart after a misfire and clog the exhaust. A vacuum gauge is the least intrusive way to check.  Xterra exhaust systems don’t like to come apart easy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 2:33:07 AM EDT
[#41]

That single guy is the one o changed earlier.  When I did the cheap route and changed just one on cylinder three.
View Quote
Ahh, ok. I missed that you changed one plug. I had it in my head you just checked it. Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Cat guys: in case I strike out, can someone tell me if they have a source/availability for (1) 7P-9872 and (3) 3W-5501? Prefer new, but aftermarket or good used will do.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Reaction plate not reacting anymore?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

Things happened.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Bad things.

Don’t know if it happened when the left side final had a glorious failing a couple months ago (had to wait forever for a aftermarket complete final on this 963B), or after the final was replaced and it was driven up to shop.  If I had to make an educated guess, when the left failed, and my boss spent a hour trying to get the whole machine to move before calling us, he borked the right side, too.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Things happened.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/IMG_7187_jpeg-2842450.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/IMG_7189_jpeg-2842451.JPG
Bad things.

Don’t know if it happened when the left side final had a glorious failing a couple months ago (had to wait forever for a aftermarket complete final on this 963B), or after the final was replaced and it was driven up to shop.  If I had to make an educated guess, when the left failed, and my boss spent a hour trying to get the whole machine to move before calling us, he borked the right side, too.
View All Quotes

Things happened.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/IMG_7187_jpeg-2842450.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/IMG_7189_jpeg-2842451.JPG
Bad things.

We've got a C model in the shop right now that chewed up some stuff in its final. Tech was able to get tracked to the door but then had to resort to using our 30-ton floor jack to creep the right side ahead as he slowly drove in with only the left driving.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Cat guys: in case I strike out, can someone tell me if they have a source/availability for (1) 7P-9872 and (3) 3W-5501? Prefer new, but aftermarket or good used will do.
View Quote

I'll see what I can find in the AM. The last 963 final we did, we had to wait forever for parts but the customer found some "good" used parts so that we could get it together quicker.

It came back a few weeks later with sheered brake frictions and steels.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#48]

We've got a C model in the shop right now that chewed up some stuff in its final. Tech was able to get tracked to the door but then had to resort to using our 30-ton floor jack to creep the right side ahead as he slowly drove in with only the left driving.
View Quote

That’s a good solution.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#49]

I'll see what I can find in the AM. The last 963 final we did, we had to wait forever for parts but the customer found some "good" used parts so that we could get it together quicker.

View Quote

Appreciate it. No big rush. Fabick surprised the shit out of me by finding new parts, albeit in Germany, which adds a bunch of shipping.  Boss won’t be off vacation until Monday, and at the end of the fiscal year, I’m not authorizing $8k in parts and shipping without his ok.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#50]

Appreciate it. No big rush. Fabick surprised the shit out of me by finding new parts, albeit in Germany, which adds a bunch of shipping.  Boss won’t be off vacation until Monday, and at the end of the fiscal year, I’m not authorizing $8k in parts and shipping without his ok.
View All Quotes

They use the same parts store stuff that we do so whatever I find will likely be the same, but I'll still give it a shot. One of our stores keeps a decent inventory of good used parts. I don't have access to their inventory though, but I could get their number for you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 349
Top Top