Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2017 3:24:18 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I'm a financial advisor and I've been looking through a lot of these threads to see what you guys are looking for so I figured I'd post this here and see what questions most of you guys have in regards to retirement, investing, insurance, taxes etc and see if I can put something together that could help out.
Now I'll preface this by saying I don't know everything there is to know but I know a good bit and have access to a lot of other brilliant financial minds around me daily so if you have a complex question that I don't have an answer for, I can likely find out.
That being said, let's hear em' what do you guys want to know?

PSA: none of what I will be talking about will be actual financial advice, only sharing of information.  Please do not act on anything said here with the assumption that I gave any advice. This is only theoretical discussion... not financial advice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a self directed ira, it's in cash.
what should I do with it?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]
What target ROI should a mid 30 dude be shooting for in today's market?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes....how do you spell financial?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
For someone with a fairly good paying normal job as primary employment:  Is there any way to offset their tax liability by starting another company, such as a farm, etc?    

Any other ideas for lowering taxable income?

Do you know anything about Self Directed IRA's?

What part of FL are you in?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
IDK if this would count or not, but ill through it out there.  part of it is alittle "dave ramsey'ish"

Im 35, been at my job for 18 years and have another 7 till i am eligible to retire making 55-60k/yr. *I already know ill be working after this job prob for another 15-20 years.   I havent done much retirement $ wise but i do have a deferred comp account with approx 20k in it (maybe 25k, not much). Last year i kinda had a wake up moment and ive been putting 8% (per paycheck) in.   Ive also started the dave ramsey thing, have $1k in savings, paid off my truck and a C.C's but have about 9k left on .  So my questions is; should I stop putting $ in my deferred comp (for now) and pay off the CC (sooner)?  Right now im putting $500/mo towards the CC, where if i cancel the deferred comp, it would be more around $700.  It would take me alittle over a year to pay it off if i did cancel the def comp  vs 1.5 years by not doing it.  IMO, not a REAL huge difference in time, but getting a 2nd job, while semi possible, would be real tough to pull off to make it worth wild do to because of time/family.  Once the CC payment is done, i will have no other debt minus house payment ($600/mo) and normal utilities (about $4-500/mo).  id be able to do step 3 (3-6 months saves up) as well as go up to the 15% into retirement.  I know when i retire from here and get my next job, ill be dumping as much as i can into retirement for those 15-20 years.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#8]
How much cash do you have, and how much on paper?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How much cash do you have, and how much on paper?
View Quote
If you are asking me, cash on hand is about $900'ish (might as well say $1k) in actual cash in hand i have in my safe.  I have just over 1k in my savings account, my checking has a constant $500 balance at any time (after bills r paid).  the rest of the $ i have left over has been going straight to the CC to pay it off.  besides that, I have my deferred comp (as stated above) and thats pretty much it.  

*side note, i am selling my motorcycle once it gets back from the paint shop getting touched up, and if I get the 6k im asking (should sell for 6k all day long), as much as id prefer to put it into my project camaro to finish it, right now i know ill prob just throw it at that CC and pay cash for everything else.  at the same time, to get the camaro "up and running" incase i need to use it as a backup vehicle would take about 2k in parts and a weekend of my time, which part of me would prefer "just incase."

The reason I havent really gotten on board with paying off the house as fast as i can *dave ramset step 4* is because my g/f is graduating nursing school (bsn) and has a job lined up where she will make $35/hr and possible up to $40hr (if she does night shift, has only 3k in student loans, no other debt) and after a year or 2, I will prob sell my house (bought for 90k, owe 82k, worth 210-225k), and will be using the difference as our down payment on a new house, prob b married by then, poss kids, ect.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you know any financial advisers?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you are asking me, cash on hand is about $900'ish (might as well say $1k) in actual cash in hand i have in my safe.  I have just over 1k in my savings account, my checking has a constant $500 balance at any time (after bills r paid).  the rest of the $ i have left over has been going straight to the CC to pay it off.  besides that, I have my deferred comp (as stated above) and thats pretty much it.  

*side note, i am selling my motorcycle once it gets back from the paint shop getting touched up, and if I get the 6k im asking (should sell for 6k all day long), as much as id prefer to put it into my project camaro to finish it, right now i know ill prob just throw it at that CC and pay cash for everything else.  at the same time, to get the camaro "up and running" incase i need to use it as a backup vehicle would take about 2k in parts and a weekend of my time, which part of me would prefer "just incase."

The reason I havent really gotten on board with paying off the house as fast as i can *dave ramset step 4* is because my g/f is graduating nursing school (bsn) and has a job lined up where she will make $35/hr and possible up to $40hr (if she does night shift, has only 3k in student loans, no other debt) and after a year or 2, I will prob sell my house (bought for 90k, owe 82k, worth 210-225k), and will be using the difference as our down payment on a new house, prob b married by then, poss kids, ect.
View Quote
Weigh your ROI in retirement versus interest for servicing your debt. You will more than likely be money ahead waiting on the retirement and paying down the credit card. Now for the house you are probably making more in retirement than the interest on your house. My advice would be.

1. Pay down credit card
2. Retirement to cap
3. Develop savings of 3 months minimum
4. Pay down home mortgage.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe he's talking about fiance's.

If so, short advice thread: EJECT!
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Did you beat the indexes over the last 5 years?

How Did you do in 2008 and 2009?

V
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I would like to know why you would start a WWYLTK thread, and then refuse to answer questions.    What's the point in that?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Which firm do you represent? What's your FINRA CRD number?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
...and does your firm allow you to use a public forum to discuss the topic?  Just slapping the old "this is not advice" at the bottom may not be good enough and could still be considered "advertising" in some situations, states and firms.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I got hired on at Prudential Sec.  Passed the series 7....Found out I couldn't sell for shit.  Too bad because some of the guys in the office were rolling in it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I got hired on at Prudential Sec.  Passed the series 7....Found out I couldn't sell for shit.  Too bad because some of the guys in the office were rolling in it.
View Quote
Wait.   So you're saying that Financial Advisors are actually Salesmen?  
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lets just say my MBA didn't do me much good..Former Car salesman and a girl with a connected family did way better than me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 457f retirement account that I contribute after tax dollars into.  When I withdraw in retirement do I have to pay taxes on gains?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#21]
ETA never mind I clicked active topics and didn't realize this wasn't GD. Carry on.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#22]
ITR Economics is predicting a recession in 2018 and a global depression in 2030. What your thoughts on that?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
ETA never mind I clicked active topics and didn't realize this wasn't GD. Carry on.
View Quote
Yeah keep your pension gloating to yourself here.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Commission non-fiduciary, yes. (Insurance agents, brokers, registered reps - those governed by FINRA)

Fee-only fiduciary, no. (RIA and trust companies - those governed by SEC, state, or FDIC)
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Why do advisors make money when their clients lose money?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Commission non-fiduciary, yes. (Insurance agents, brokers, registered reps - those governed by FINRA)

Fee-only fiduciary, no. (RIA and trust companies - those governed by SEC, state, or FDIC)
View Quote
Not true, both commission and fee only advisors are paid for selling, not for providing good advice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah keep your pension gloating to yourself here.
View Quote
Nah had nothing to do with that
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For someone with a fairly good paying normal job as primary employment:  Is there any way to offset their tax liability by starting another company, such as a farm, etc?    

Any other ideas for lowering taxable income?

Do you know anything about Self Directed IRA's?

What part of FL are you in?
View Quote
I know a bit about the self directed Iras.

I'm not a financial advisor but employee benefits director who deals with the tax code a lot and uses them for investing.

Any specific questions?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a FA that handles my investments.  I have some cash that is sitting in savings and a checking accounts that I would like to do something with.  I've read a little about robo advisers like Betterment or Wealthfront.  Any experience with these?  How about tax returns, too?  
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not true, both commission and fee only advisors are paid for selling, not for providing good advice.
View Quote
Explain. The only product a fee-only advisor sells is advice, and the advisor is legally bound to provide advice that is in the client's best interest.

Compensation is 100% independent of what investments are used and when they are bought and sold. All compensation comes from the client.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#31]
What do you think of people who defer retirement savings in order to pay off their house quicker?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#32]
What type of structure is your practice?

RIA, Indie, Broker-Dealer etc?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
...and does your firm allow you to use a public forum to discuss the topic?  Just slapping the old "this is not advice" at the bottom may not be good enough and could still be considered "advertising" in some situations, states and firms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
oh you guys.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#34]
How do I put the "n" back in Fiancial?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:38:00 AM EDT
[#35]
What's going to happen to the DOL Fiduciary rule on 6/9?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Worst AMA ever.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#37]
OP fail...post and leave. Gotta love those.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Is your house completely paid off?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Is your house completely paid off?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Do you take your own advice or is all your money offshore?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#41]
He probably just got hired, and they said, "Go sell some whole-life policies."

So he joined 50 forums, hoping someone would IM him for advice, and that's when he'd push to sell a policy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So he joined 50 forums, hoping someone would IM him for advice, and that's when he'd push to sell a policy.
View Quote
And @midcap is his boss
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#43]
OP what do you think of the many articles similar to the one linked below ?

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2012/03/20/the-cold-hard-truth-about-brokers-and-financial-a.aspx
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And @midcap is his boss https://media.tenor.co/images/025271525d2b264ab0e63992a844a834/tenor.gif

Op better be slinging some 30 year surrender annuities too if he wants to get his bonus!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
OP what do you think of the many articles similar to the one linked below ?

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2012/03/20/the-cold-hard-truth-about-brokers-and-financial-a.aspx
View Quote
The Sharpe ratio is really good if you are using the right data. I.E. you need to use the modified Ex-Sharpe ration formula which used actual returns and not expected returns, the reason is that when you use expected returns you are using a very long time horizon, I.E. Sp500 for example, may return 8% annually with a std deviation of 15%. While that may be historically accurate it's not what happened in 2014, 15, and 16.

You need to also use thing like upside/downside capture ratio, Alpha etc.

I am not saying they are wrong, they are more than probably right and I am useless to anyone.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#46]
When will automation fully replace you?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
When will automation fully replace you?
View Quote
When tap water makes bottled water go away
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#48]
On average, how many times per day do you work "I'm a financial advisor" into a conversation?  Because if it's less than 20, those are rookie numbers.  You gotta get those numbers up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Tag for later....
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#50]
What's your opinion of Edward Jones?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top