Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2009 3:50:43 PM EDT
Dunno if this belongs here, as I'm not actually being deployed, but didn't know where else to put it.

In 9 days, I'm shipping to Fort Benning for Army Basic Combat Training. Sadly, I'm Split Op so I'll only be gone for 10 weeks of BCT and then I don't go to AIT til next May . Anyways, I'm in the Army National Guard and enlisted on 29 Sept 2008. Very excited, and also kind of nervous, to finally be shipping.

Any pointers to prepare over the next week, or something to remember while I'm there, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Sucks to be you!

No seriously, if you're the kind of person who posts here, you'll more than likely love it.
Just shut up, LISTEN, and do your best.

...quickly

Oh and learn your phonetic alphabet and general orders now while there's no stress.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
good luck
do EXACTLY what the drills say

have fun

and congrats
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Pray that you are assigned to 1/119th, AKA "Candyland"
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Find a DI without airborne wings and tell him that a guy you know from the internetz said;  "he is a stinking leg and the the only thing worst than a leg is a fag but just barely." he will laugh and you two will bond over it...trust me.

you will be fine, mouth shut, eyes open, brain in the ON position.  

remember you will remember it fondly.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I'm gonna make the most fun out of it as I can. It's gonna suck, I know, but I'll get through it and have some good (and bad) memories, I'm sure. I don't exactly WANT it to be really easy, I want to be challenged. That's why I'm glad I'm going to Benning (and because my Grandfather trained there roughly 69 years ago before going to North Africa).
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm gonna make the most fun out of it as I can. It's gonna suck, I know, but I'll get through it and have some good (and bad) memories, I'm sure. I don't exactly WANT it to be really easy, I want to be challenged. That's why I'm glad I'm going to Benning (and because my Grandfather trained there roughly 69 years ago before going to North Africa).

I'll be there in october!

Link Posted: 5/10/2009 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm going in July, but because of my contract, i'll probably still be there when you return for infantry school

Your a junior in HS I'm assuming? Good job. Thanks for serving.
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 4:35:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Learn the General orders, Army song, Soldiers Creed and Army Values before you go.
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#9]
move like lightning and sound like thunder. stay motivated and keep your opinions to yourself. once you set foot on ft. benning there is only one thing that matters...  the BLUE CORD!!!  good luck and stay focused.
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I know the General Orders pretty well, know the Soldier's Creed, know the 7 Army Values. Do not know the Army song though.

What, pray tell, is the blue cord?
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know the General Orders pretty well, know the Soldier's Creed, know the 7 Army Values. Do not know the Army song though.

What, pray tell, is the blue cord?

You gonna get flamed.

Blue cord is the cord given to Infantrymen upon graduation of OSUT or in your situation Infantry School.

it's almost the same color blue as the blue in the Expert/Combat Infantrymen's Badge
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Ahh okay thanks. I'm actually a 15F Aircraft Electrician But I'm trying desperately to switch to 11B...I don't know if I can though..Gotta call my sergeant tomorrow and talk to her. She said she'd find out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ahh okay thanks. I'm actually a 15F Aircraft Electrician But I'm trying desperately to switch to 11B...I don't know if I can though..Gotta call my sergeant tomorrow and talk to her. She said she'd find out.

You're probably better off as an 15F, after training you'll actually be able to get a job (maybe) there's no civilian equivalent to Infantry. If you plan on going active later, just stick with aircraft electrician, and go infantry after you're reclass date.

Unless of course your set on getting that blue cord, then go for it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're probably better off as an 15F, after training you'll actually be able to get a job (maybe) there's no civilian equivalent to Infantry. If you plan on going active later, just stick with aircraft electrician, and go infantry after you're reclass date.

I know 15F may be the "logical" choice but I've always dreamed of being Infantry. I want to also eventually go to Airborne and possibly Ranger and Air Assault schools. I have absolutely no interest in being an electrician..
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want something, get it now.  You don't have to ship...
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know 15F may be the "logical" choice but I've always dreamed of being Infantry. I want to also eventually go to Airborne and possibly Ranger and Air Assault schools. I have absolutely no interest in being an electrician..

Get an 11X40 contract which is Infantry - Airborne Ranger - you go to Infantry school, then jump school, then RIP (Ranger indoctrination program [i think is what it stands for]) then you're a "Ranger Puppy" for a few months to a year and then when your PL and PS thinks you're ready you go to actual Ranger School. That's how it was explained to me, anyhow. When you get to your Ranger battalion, they'll train you in any extra shit you need to know (they all specialize in different stuff) so if that includes Air Assault, which it very well may, then they'll put in for you go to AA school.

Also
If you want something, get it now. You don't have to ship...

He speaks the truth, you can drop out of the DEP program, tell them you want Infantry now, while you still have them by the balls, after you ship you are el fucked.

Link Posted: 5/11/2009 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Although to be fair, nobody really has any recruiter by the balls right now. Their job is so easy, the applicants are literally coming to them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 12:07:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Although to be fair, nobody really has any recruiter by the balls right now. Their job is so easy, the applicants are literally coming to them.

Quite true, but if you get them right before you're gonna ship, they'll bend over backwards to get you back up to the MEPS in time for a job change. It's convincing the assholes at the MEPS that you actually want the job change. Although, if he still plans on shipping, it may be too late, however he may be able to go Infantry after BCT I dont know though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 2:32:26 AM EDT
[#19]
I have to ship on the 20th or else I lose some things, such as my $20k bonus (I know some of you may think it's not a big deal, but $20k is a lot of money..new car or can be put towards a downpayment on a house etc). Another recruiter - after I was already enlisted and not the same one that recruited me - told me that after I get back from 15F AIT, I can reclass to 11B with no problem. I'm kind of unsure of this and scared to believe it. I really don't want to get screwed over and get stuck in a job I don't like, but then again, I don't want to go to them all gung-ho and saying I'm not going to ship if they don't give me this, this, and this, and then have them say "Okay, then don't ship" or "Okay we'll give it to you but you'll have to give up this and this".

I dunno. I ship in 7 days. The SSG I talked to yesterday (admin for my unit) said she would look into it today, but it may be too close to my ship date. I need to call her this afternoon and will update then.

ETA: I don't think I'd be completely screwed after I get back from BCT. I have a year before I go to AIT and I don't even have an AIT ship date in my contract yet (the same SSG said we have to get that when I get back from BCT). Would this make a difference?
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have to ship on the 20th or else I lose some things, such as my $20k bonus (I know some of you may think it's not a big deal, but $20k is a lot of money..new car or can be put towards a downpayment on a house etc). Another recruiter - after I was already enlisted and not the same one that recruited me - told me that after I get back from 15F AIT, I can reclass to 11B with no problem. I'm kind of unsure of this and scared to believe it. I really don't want to get screwed over and get stuck in a job I don't like, but then again, I don't want to go to them all gung-ho and saying I'm not going to ship if they don't give me this, this, and this, and then have them say "Okay, then don't ship" or "Okay we'll give it to you but you'll have to give up this and this".

I dunno. I ship in 7 days. The SSG I talked to yesterday (admin for my unit) said she would look into it today, but it may be too close to my ship date. I need to call her this afternoon and will update then.

ETA: I don't think I'd be completely screwed after I get back from BCT. I have a year before I go to AIT and I don't even have an AIT ship date in my contract yet (the same SSG said we have to get that when I get back from BCT). Would this make a difference?

you very well may be able to get an 11X spot, so i wouldn't worry about it. No offense, but don't believe a word the Guard recruiters tell you. Not to say the active duty recruiters are pillars of honesty, but when I talked to the Guard, the three guys I talked to all gave me a walkabout. Which is why I opted for active duty (amongst a number of other reasons) anyhow, I would say ship, do BCT, and when you get back you can worry about 11B.

And, 20K is a lot to me too. I'm getting 11 for going active, and I need every bit of it so i can get a car, although I'm not sure how they split it up.

Anyhow, keep us updated man, and good luck.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 5:34:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think 11B will give you a big bonus as well.

The thing about the Guard is the unit your in needs to have slots for your MOS. If you are in an aviation unit as a 15F, chances are they don't need any 11B's. Is there any infantry units near your house, and if not, would you be willing to travel each month to an infantry unit?

Link Posted: 5/12/2009 6:32:37 AM EDT
[#22]
you do know that you're not going to get handed a $20K check as soon as you graduate AIT?  It's going to be split up over the course of your enlistment so you'll see the $20K eventually, albeit in smaller chunks.

You may not even retain that $20K if you were to switch your MOS to 11B/11C.  It depends how your bonuses were figured out and what options they picked.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I know that they don't just hand me $20,000 out of AIT, I read my contract It's half (minus taxes) 30-45 days after AIT, then half (minus taxes) on my 3 year anniversary date (which is probably a month after I get back from AIT). It's still a nice chunk of change that I don't have right now.

I believe I would have to be switched to an Infantry unit if I were to switch to 11B. I'm pretty sure there's one at Camp Blanding. I plan on going Active ASAP anyway, though. I dunno, I'm nowhere until I talk to my SSG later today.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Dont wear your underwear backwards and sleep on your chest!

J/K  Do what they say, to the letter and dont wise off.  Take each day individually, dont think about 9 weeks till the end, just make it to lunch.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#25]
You'll probably lose your bonus if you reclass. Just a heads up on that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 2:21:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You'll probably lose your bonus if you reclass. Just a heads up on that.

Yeah I know it That's why I'm not just saying "Hey if you don't change me to 11B, I'm not shipping". I don't think I can do it if they'll take my whole bonus..maybe half..MAYBE. I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#27]
The money means that much to you?
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Every battalion there says that about every other battalion there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The money means that much to you?

It's not exactly a tiny amount of money to me. Like I said, it could be a downpayment on a house or car, which would be nice. If I have no other option, then I may let it go, but I don't know. That's alot of money to flush down the drain before it's ever near my hands. Then again, I have a bad feeling that I won't be able to switch to 11B after I get MOS-Q'ed in 15F as easily as some say..

Quoted:
Quoted:

Every battalion there says that about every other battalion there.

Not really worried about which BN I get assigned to. It's gonna suck either way, but I'm gonna make the most of it. "Embrace the suck," as they say
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 2:25:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, I talked to my SSG yesterday and she said it's too close to me shipping to change my MOS right now. So it looks like I COULD have had it changed earlier but I was led to believe by other Sergeants (my recruiter and another recruiter) that I couldn't change my MOS...great. But anyways, she said we'll try to change my MOS when I get back from BCT and if not, then I'll have to go to 15F school and put in for an MOS change at my unit.

Well at least now I can focus on getting through BCT and just hope I'll be back at Benning sometime next year. 5 days left! Hooah!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2009 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Alright guys, leaving tomorrow. You all have a good summer! I'll report in once I get back
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top