Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 9:28:59 AM EDT
I caught the tail end of a news story about a lockout possibly happening in a sport.

Anyone hear this?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Basketball.  Apparently the player's union can't agree with the NBA.  Doesn't bother me, unfortunetly it hurts the everday people like the concession workers, maintenance staff, etc.  I get so mad when I hear these million dollar owners and players that can't agree on money (greed) and all they hurt are the fans, workers, etc.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbalabor&prov=ap&type=lgns

NBA labor talks take turn for the worse

By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer
May 19, 2005
NEW YORK (AP) -- Anybody ready for another lockout? The NBA may be moving toward being put on ice, just like the NHL.

Labor talks between the NBA and the players' union broke off Wednesday, with the league accusing the union of backing off several earlier concessions while also insinuating that a group of agents was exerting pressure on union director Billy Hunter.

The collective bargaining agreement expires June 30, and the league sounds unwilling to return to the bargaining table soon. If no new agreement is reached, a lockout could begin as early as July 1 -- three days after the draft.

The league and union went through an acrimonious seven-month lockout in 1998 and 1999 before agreeing to the current seven-year agreement.

With very few exceptions, the same attorneys that negotiated the old agreement are working on the new one.

A lockout beginning July 1 would force the cancellation of summer leagues and offseason conditioning programs at team facilities. Training camps are scheduled to open in early October.

If a lockout stretched into the fall, many arenas around the country that are home to basketball and hockey teams could go completely dark. The NHL still hasn't settled its own lockout that started last September and wiped out the season -- the first time a North American sports league lost a full playing year to labor strife.

The sides had been publicly optimistic over the prospects for reaching a new deal until last Friday, when commissioner David Stern downgraded his outlook to ``hopeful.''

That came just hours after two union attorneys gave an oral outline of the union's new offer and, according to the league, changed its position on several key issues.

``They've taken major steps backward on all the key elements,'' deputy commissioner Russ Granik said in a telephone interview. ``We still have more than six weeks until July 1, so I don't want to predict what will or won't happen, but based on the way things have gone here it's hard to see where an agreement will be reached any time soon.''

In its statement, the league indicated a belief that player agents had coaxed Hunter into backing off some of the concessions he had agreed to in previous negotiating sessions since mid-February.

``At the conclusion of a bargaining session on Sunday, April 17, we thought we were very close to a deal, with only a few items remaining to be compromised,'' Granik said. ``On April 19, a day after the players association met with a group of player agents, we were informed that the players association could no longer agree to a previously committed five-year rule on length of contracts.

``Then, last week, after promising a written proposal to form the basis of a new agreement, the union instead advised us orally that it needed to backtrack on several other essential terms that had already been resolved.''

The league claims the union changed its position on the length of long-term contracts (current rules allow a maximum length of seven years), the size of annual raises in long-term contracts (current rules limit those increases to 12.5 percent annually for players who re-sign with their teams; 10 percent for players changing teams as free agents), and changes to the escrow and luxury tax systems designed to limit salary growth and penalize the highest-spending teams.

The first sign that talks might be breaking down came when the league canceled plans for a bargaining session between a large group of owners and players that was to have taken place Tuesday.

``We felt we had to tell people what was really happening. It's not like it serves a beneficial purpose,'' Granik said. ``I would prefer we not have to air this, but people were asking reasonable questions and we owed them a responsible answer.''

Hunter told ESPN.com he resented the league's implication that a group of agents had pressured him.

``This was the same approach used by the league seven years ago,'' Hunter said. ``At that time, the word was that (agents) David Falk and Arn Tellem and others were actually orchestrating and managing the negotiations. I thought it was repugnant and offensive at that time, and I think it's even more so now -- the fact the inference is that me, as a black man, cannot operate an institution such as the union without having some white man oversee and (legitimize) whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing.''

Updated on Thursday, May 19, 2005 2:59

Thanks.

Will it happen?

Who knows.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Basketball.  Apparently the player's union can't agree with the NBA.  Doesn't bother me, unfortunetly it hurts the everday people like the concession workers, maintenance staff, etc.  I get so mad when I hear these million dollar owners and players that can't agree on money (greed) and all they hurt are the fans, workers, etc.

It's unfortunate.  I hate to say it, but I could care less about millionaire players when there's the "behind the scenes" folks that are gonna hurt the most.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Doesn't bother me,

I hate to say it, but if pro B-ball got cancelled, I wouldn't miss it in the slightest.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Doesn't bother me,

I hate to say it, but if pro B-ball got cancelled, I wouldn't miss it in the slightest.  

I love to say it, but if pro B-Ball is cancelled, I will jump for joy. I love the college basketball but the pro game is the worst.
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Doesn't bother me,

I love to say it, but if pro B-Ball is cancelled, I will jump for joy. I love the college basketball but the pro game is the worst.

IMNSHO-the professional game is a mockerey of the sport.  It is all about the money, and the Navigators.  The college kids care about the sport and give it their all-take the Illini for example.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I heard the NFL players are thinking about it too. They do have the worst labor deal of the top four sports, and conversely they are the most popular.

The NFL players union wants 60% of all NFL income to be spent on player salaries. Currently the layers don't get a cut of concessions and luxury boxes.

Wouldn't that be bizarre, a year w/o  basketball, hockey, nor football
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I heard the NFL players are thinking about it too. They do have the worst labor deal of the top four sports, and conversely they are the most popular.

The NFL players union wants 60% of all NFL income to be spent on player salaries. Currently the layers don't get a cut of concessions and luxury boxes.

I don't give  a rat's ass if it got cancelled, Sin_Bin would care maybe, but not me.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't give  a rat's ass if it got cancelled, Sin_Bin would care maybe, but not me.  

Deej, why don't you buy a team membership?  I get so tired of re-typing the same things in regular forums as I do in the team forum.

If you only knew what we said about you in the team forum...

Link Posted: 6/15/2005 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Deej, why don't you buy a team membership?  I get so tired of re-typing the same things in regular forums as I do in the team forum.

If you only knew what we said about you in the team forum...

You talk about me in the team forum?
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Uh...yes.  I think there are three active topics about you in the past three months.  (You can search three months back if you're a team member)
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I am sorry but David Stern and Gary Bettman are both ASSHOLES, there is a possibility that the NHL will never return and that would be a shame, and now the NBA, well they can both go F$%K themselves....
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh...yes.  I think there are three active topics about you in the past three months.  (You can search three months back if you're a team member)

Enlighten me:

You diss and rip on me in the team forum?
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Enlighten me:

Sorry, Deej.  I'm just messing with you.  I was trying to trick you into becoming a team member.  

The truth is we never talk about non-team members in the team forum unless it's an obvious troll.

The only other time is when someone posts that so and so is a real great guy, etc., thinking about buying him a membership or what not.

The topics in the team forum are similar to what's posted in GD but it is expected by everyone to be very respectful when responding.  You won't find rude comments in the team lounge (every once in a while a new team member will slip up but that's quickly remedied).  Oh, and BOTD is allowed in there.

It's a great benefit for the team members.  Many people post topics there because they feel 100x more comfortable than they would in GD expressing personal opinions, telling certain details about their personal lives, etc.

Also, since it's a restricted forum, google (and other search engines) cannot cache your comments.

I love the team forum.  It's like exchanging opinions as if you were face to face with one another.  You wouldn't say some of the things that are said in GD if you were talking to that person face to face (not YOU personally, "you" in general).

Let me put it in another light.  If you normally do not get along well with someone on the board, you would not be disrespectful to them in a team thread.

Link Posted: 6/19/2005 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Enlighten me:

Sorry, Deej.  I'm just messing with you.  I was trying to trick you into becoming a team member.  

The truth is we never talk about non-team members in the team forum unless it's an obvious troll.

The only other time is when someone posts that so and so is a real great guy, etc., thinking about buying him a membership or what not.

The topics in the team forum are similar to what's posted in GD but it is expected by everyone to be very respectful when responding.  You won't find rude comments in the team lounge (every once in a while a new team member will slip up but that's quickly remedied).  Oh, and BOTD is allowed in there.

It's a great benefit for the team members.  Many people post topics there because they feel 100x more comfortable than they would in GD expressing personal opinions, telling certain details about their personal lives, etc.

Also, since it's a restricted forum, google (and other search engines) cannot cache your comments.

I love the team forum.  It's like exchanging opinions as if you were face to face with one another.  You wouldn't say some of the things that are said in GD if you were talking to that person face to face (not YOU personally, "you" in general).

Let me put it in another light.  If you normally do not get along well with someone on the board, you would not be disrespectful to them in a team thread.

Okay.  I was just messing with you too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#17]
The nfl players will find a way to ruin a great sport. Its the only sport that every team has a chance to win every year. now the high school players want to jump right in and bypass college. say good bye to good college football.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The nfl players will find a way to ruin a great sport. Its the only sport that every team has a chance to win every year. now the high school players want to jump right in and bypass college. say good bye to good college football.

+1.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top