Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2016 2:14:36 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a new phone,  and after reading a thread in GD, I realized CAT made phones. I currently have a Galaxy S4, that is getting a bit long in the tooth. Battery doesn't keep like it used to, and the charger seems to not stay in, unless I play with the angle.

Anyway,  I don't use my smart phone for much more than a few apps, Internet and texts. I don't even have music on it. So would the S50c be a step up or down vs the S4?

I'm tough on my phones,so the ruggedized features are nice. I have Verizons unlimited plan,  and don't want to lose that by using an upgrade, and I refuse to pay through the nose for a no upgrade phone. The price of the S50c seems to be about right for my budget.

Sorry if this isn't the correct forum,  but didn't want to flood GD with it. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm in the market for a new phone,  and after reading a thread in GD, I realized CAT made phones. I currently have a Galaxy S4, that is getting a bit long in the tooth. Battery doesn't keep like it used to, and the charger seems to not stay in, unless I play with the angle.

Anyway,  I don't use my smart phone for much more than a few apps, Internet and texts. I don't even have music on it. So would the S50c be a step up or down vs the S4?

I'm tough on my phones,so the ruggedized features are nice. I have Verizons unlimited plan,  and don't want to lose that by using an upgrade, and I refuse to pay through the nose for a no upgrade phone. The price of the S50c seems to be about right for my budget.

Sorry if this isn't the correct forum,  but didn't want to flood GD with it. Thanks
View Quote

Do not buy the CAT S50c.  With 8GB of onboard storage and 1GB of RAM, it is an overpriced POS.  It would  be a downgrade to your Galaxy S4.

I would wait till the fall for some better midrange phones to come out, before buying anything to replace your S4.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the cat FLIR model.
http://www.catphones.com/en-us/phones/s60-smartphone/spec
I'm giving it consideration for the "fun: of IR

I have been watching their phones for a bit.  Just mt non professional opinion;  I wouldn't buy the S550.  It even says they come with the old old Kit Kat on the website. (it will update to Lollypop then Marshmallow.  and then probably the new one.

Here is an idea of where the releases are. http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile-phones/android-n/23561/android-nougat-release-date-update-schedule-samsung-lg-huawei-google-nexus-phone-2016

The phone looks like it's becoming a bit dated. ( Honestly /i don't know that much about the chips, "Google"

At your price point why not buy a Nexus 5x?  It's a current phone (or heck the big 6P if you don't mind the size)  https://www.google.com/nexus/

I have become a believer in not buying 3rd party phones. Run a pure Nexus, you'll get the Android updates promptly, AND these are Google's phones, things seem to run better on them.  (3rd party shitware aka, Samsung skins ect screw em up)
A nexus will be Unlocked, = you can take that thing to any carrier no hassle, and it is designed to run on darn near every band in the US and much of the world.

You can toss it in a full enclosure case like the one from Ballistic, or beetle-bug. = waterproof, 17 ft drop rating ect)

just my .02, I'm sorry that I didn't answer your question.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top