Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2015 9:00:08 PM EDT
He wants a small laptop for Christmas.  He would like a touchscreen, but it doesn't have to be a tablet, so I thinking the "convertible" type.  He found and likes this one Laptop 1, but it says discontinued, so I found this one Laptop 2...I would like to stay around $350 or less.  He will use it mostly just for web surfing, and he wants to make short Youtube vids and post them.  I haven't bought this type of laptop at all, and haven't bought anything but Apple computer's for the last 5 years.  Any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps I just missed it.

Age of son?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, sorry...he is 13
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Lenovo Flex 3 11.6"

I bought one off Amazon for $310 and am pretty happy with it. They're now $340 but they show one cheaper that doesn't appear to have a built in mouse.  Since it's touch screen he may not miss that feature. The other thing these models don't have he might want is a CD/DVD drive. Not a problem for me as I never use them.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=llenovo+flex+3+11.6

Everything I've ever owned built by HP had issues. Those problems could have been completely my fault but I won't buy anymore of their products. YMMV

ETA The one feature I'd add to the Lenovo is a backlit keyboard.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:59:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, what about between these 2?  I see the Lenovo has a Celeron processor, and the Dell has a quad core Pentium.  Is either of these better than the other?  

Lenovo

Dell
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:13:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, what about between these 2?  I see the Lenovo has a Celeron processor, and the Dell has a quad core Pentium.  Is either of these better than the other?  

Lenovo

Dell
View Quote

It's not going to matter.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:58:35 AM EDT
[#6]
So, are either one of those decent for just web surfing and stuff like that?  I don't think he plays any hardcore games.  The only game I have seen him play if minecraft...
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:18:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

the Lenovo has a 5400 RPM harddrive

i would run away
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lenovo

Dell

i would run away

What's the issue with that?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Access time is slower. An SSD will give you much faster performance. (My Win 7 machine with a conventional HD took 2.5 min to boot, with an SSD took 45 seconds. Others have reported similar savings.) Video editing will want faster performance, I'm thinking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lenovo

Dell

i would run away

Access time is slower. An SSD will give you much faster performance. (My Win 7 machine with a conventional HD took 2.5 min to boot, with an SSD took 45 seconds. Others have reported similar savings.) Video editing will want faster performance, I'm thinking.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#11]
How about this one.....Dell  It goes on sale for $399 at midnight...seems like some nice specs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

5400rpm hard dive it will run slow as molasses

I'm not kidding
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about this one.....Dell  It goes on sale for $399 at midnight...seems like some nice specs.

I'm not kidding

I'm currently using a laptop with a 5400rpm HDD.  It does not run slow as molasses. (regarding the HDD)
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm currently using a laptop with a 5400rpm HDD.  It does not run slow as molasses. (regarding the HDD)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not kidding

Know how we can tell you've never had an SSD?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:42:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not kidding

Know how I know you don't understand the concept of relativity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top