Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2015 10:22:16 AM EDT
I bought a used computer with Windows 7 installed.  My old computer has xp. I downloaded XP mode and the virtual thingy to the 7 computer and then installed the HD from the XP computer into the 7 computer.

The XP mode screen comes up but I can't seem to see much.

I really at this time want to be able to retrieve my emails, I was using outlook express. I can usually figure this stuff out but I am at my wits end on this one.

Do I need to install the HD back into the other computer?

Am I asking the right questions here?

Thanks  
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#2]
This is not something we're going to easily be able to talk you through.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess my main question is- Can I use my old XP Hard drive in my new Win 7 computer?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess my main question is- Can I use my old XP Hard drive in my new Win 7 computer?
View Quote

Sure, but only as a second drive.

Best bet?  Buy an external HD enclosure, drop your old PC's drive in there, and plug in.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Best bet?  Buy an external HD enclosure, drop your old PC's drive in there, and plug in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not going to get his emails out of Outlook Express.  He needs a third party tool to convert the mail store to something usable.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's not going to get his emails out of Outlook Express.  He needs a third party tool to convert the mail store to something usable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Won't Outlook Express export to a PST?

ETA: Apparently not.  But a quick Google search revealed http://blog.chron.com/helpline/2011/07/moving-outlook-express-messages-to-a-new-computer/
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA: Apparently not.  But a quick Google search revealed http://blog.chron.com/helpline/2011/07/moving-outlook-express-messages-to-a-new-computer/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The simplest way I've seen is to literally drag and drop every message into folders as .eml files.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Is this a Viable idea?
Been looking into moving our office exchange accounts. Migration is expensive.

I have both my work exchange account and my Gmail account in my Outlook.
Gmail is set up as IMAP
I just dragged the from the Office email under outlook to my Gmail and they automatically push back up to the Gmail server.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is this a Viable idea?

Gmail is set up as IMAP
I just dragged the from the Office email under outlook to my Gmail and they automatically push back up to the Gmail server.
View Quote

I've done similar.  But the OP would need to set up a gmail account and access via Outlook Express, which I'm not sure it will do.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#11]
True but it seams like a viable solution if all one need to to is spend 5 minutes creating a throw away gmail account.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is this a Viable idea?

Gmail is set up as IMAP
View Quote

What are you looking to migrate your Exchange to?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

This will do the majority of what you are asking
View Quote

This.  SO this.  It generally does a pretty good job,  too.

You'll have to download windows Live Mail, though Easy Trans  won't import directly into Outlook. From Live Mail,  you can export  to Outlook.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks to all for the replies. I am going to go the easy transfer route, got my cable yesterday. Just need to find the time to do it. Also, only have one monitor and keyboard at this time. Will work some thing out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#15]
We are keeping exchange just switching who hosts our change. Lunar Pages is our current and our email was down for one week. so we are switching to Microsoft.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:40:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We are keeping exchange just switching who hosts our change. Lunar Pages is our current and our email was down for one week. so we are switching to Microsoft.
View Quote

Weird, when onboarding to my hosted exchange, if it's coming from another hosted platform I general ingest and onboard for free.  I do limit that to 500 users or less though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Unfortunately I'm not that familiar with Exchange or the protocols with email to understand the onboarding. My excuse is I have have to deal with everything when it comes to computers, in reality I can't stand dealing with the BS that is email. We have 8 users in our system and 2 companies of quoted us 1,500 or 1,900 just to migrate our exchange from one server to another. That ridiculous all we need is the migration on the "handshake" or sever side, I can backup and move over all the email crap on our end.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Unfortunately I'm not that familiar with Exchange or the protocols with email to understand the onboarding. My excuse is I have have to deal with everything when it comes to computers, in reality I can't stand dealing with the BS that is email. We have 8 users in our system and 2 companies of quoted us 1,500 or 1,900 just to migrate our exchange from one server to another. That ridiculous all we need is the migration on the "handshake" or sever side, I can backup and move over all the email crap on our end.
View Quote

You want to send me a PM?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Back to the original question for the OP, yes, its easy to move your Outlook Express to a new computer. You have to grab the entire outlook express folder and your address book from the XP drive. On the new computer install Windows live mail and import the address book and the email files, used to do this daily for years.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Ya didn't mean to derail... Sorry about that, ADHD and what not.

Anyways isn't there an import option in Outlook Express? you could literally just steal the pst file off the old computer and import it into the new one couldn't you. I know it works with full outlook.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ya didn't mean to derail... Sorry about that, ADHD and what not.

Anyways isn't there an import option in Outlook Express? you could literally just steal the pst file off the old computer and import it into the new one couldn't you. I know it works with full outlook.
View Quote

Outlook Express is gone.  Profile migration tool is the best bet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top