Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2014 11:33:53 PM EDT
So I'm using Handbrake to shrink down the file size of a bunch of movies so I can put them onto my Samsung Galaxy S5 smart phone.

Making pretty good progress... I'm getting movies that are about 4.5 GB down to under 1 GB.

Then, I have to archive them as well as copy them to my media server (to download to my phone over wifi).  It's a bit labor intensive, and I could probably find a easier way.

But hey!  We're geeks and we love this stuff

At one point, I noticed the dramatic differences in transfer speeds between devices.  So much so, I added an additional device to get some numbers on.

Here is the raw data:

File size and type:
813 MB .mp4

Source file was located on my Windows 7 Desktop, which is stored on my 240 GB Intel 530 SSD

Destination / Protocol / Elapsed time (in Seconds)

Western Digital MyCloud NAS / Ethernet (CPU>Switch>NAS) / 74 seconds

Western Digital My Passport 500 GB / USB 2.0 (front panel USB port>device) / 40.87 seconds

Western Digital My Passport 1 TB / USB 3.0 (PCI USB 3.0 card>device) / 11.97 seconds

Western Digital Blue 1 TB HDD / SATA (source and destination plugged into mobo SATA port) / 9.41 seconds

My main take away was that recently adding the  USB 3.0 card for the few $$ it cost was a good choice.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm kind of surprised ethernet was that much slower. What software protocol did you use for the ethernet transfer?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:51:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty neat.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:02:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm kind of surprised ethernet was that much slower. What software protocol did you use for the ethernet transfer?
View Quote

I just copied and pasted the file in Windows Explorer.

I did not use the WD MyCloud GUI... Maybe I should just to see if there is a difference?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#5]
My experience with the WD MyCloud is that even over gigabit Ethernet from a SATA III WD Black device it's a slow copy, but probably still faster than over 10/100. I wonder how much of that is my AV software?

I'm wondering if the MyCloud is just a place for WD to dump their Green drives that didn't sell. Those things were real slow.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always found that you can get 40-60% faster transfers from transferring from a command line transfer.

Actual methods I've used, rsync is far faster, especially using the z option, than scp. Rsync is my preferred method for copying multiple files to a hard disk. I managed to copy 356 GB (166 movies) over USB 2.0 in a little over an hour with rsync. That was having a drive plugged directly into the server which had all the movies, and then using an ssh session to evoke and monitor the transfer.

I don't put movies on my devices…I just use Plex. MakeMKV to rip off the disk, Handbrake to convert the files (usually run about 720p resolution for around a 2GB file).
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:03:12 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want some annoyance, the SD slot on my MBA can read at some rate, same card plugged into my D90 over USB reads at about twice that rate. Plug a card reader into USB... original rate. WTF Apple
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:48:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's accurate for how long it would take over 10/100 ethernet, over gigabit ethernet it should only take 7-8 seconds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's accurate for how long it would take over 10/100 ethernet, over gigabit ethernet it should only take 7-8 seconds.

I'm willing to bet that the MyCloud drive was the limiting factor.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:53:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Needs mor 802.11ac!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you want some annoyance, the SD slot on my MBA can read at some rate, same card plugged into my D90 over USB reads at about twice that rate. Plug a card reader into USB... original rate. WTF Apple
View Quote

The gui kills transfer speeds. The only time I really dick around with SD cards is when using dd…
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I did not use the WD MyCloud GUI... Maybe I should just to see if there is a difference?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

try it with teracopy (freeware)  

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So I'm using Handbrake to shrink down the file size of a bunch of movies so I can put them onto my Samsung Galaxy S5 smart phone.

Making pretty good progress... I'm getting movies that are about 4.5 GB down to under 1 GB.

Then, I have to archive them as well as copy them to my media server (to download to my phone over wifi).  It's a bit labor intensive, and I could probably find a easier way.

But hey!  We're geeks and we love this stuff

At one point, I noticed the dramatic differences in transfer speeds between devices.  So much so, I added an additional device to get some numbers on.

Here is the raw data:

File size and type:
813 MB .mp4

Source file was located on my Windows 7 Desktop, which is stored on my 240 GB Intel 530 SSD

Destination / Protocol / Elapsed time (in Seconds)

Western Digital MyCloud NAS / Ethernet (CPU>Switch>NAS) / 74 seconds (11MB/s)

Western Digital My Passport 500 GB / USB 2.0 (front panel USB port>device) / 40.87 seconds (19MB/s)

Western Digital My Passport 1 TB / USB 3.0 (PCI USB 3.0 card>device) / 11.97 seconds (67MB/s)

Western Digital Blue 1 TB HDD / SATA (source and destination plugged into mobo SATA port) / 9.41 seconds (86MB/s)

My main take away was that recently adding the  USB 3.0 card for the few $$ it cost was a good choice.
View Quote

You would see better results by using faster source/destination disks as you're not really saturating the pipe.  
Top Top