Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 10:39:42 AM EDT
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1004709&page=1

I asked the following in the General Forum. See above link for advise replies.

I have a modem in the house feed via cableone high speed internet service. My wireless router just died. I have a empty 2 inch plastic conduit running underground from the house to my shop. Roughly 40 feet. The house and shop have a aluminum mylar layer of insulation that blocks wireless access through the walls. I need a new wireless router in the house that will allow me to hard wire another wireless access point out in the shop via the underground conduit and then hard wire to another wireless access point on the outside of the shop to feed a patio/deck area.

I bought 3 Linksys WRT-54GL routers as suggested by Acheron. It was my understanding I needed DD-WRT firmware to turn two of these routers into access points.

Hellbound posted that this is over complicating the setup.

I want one network I can access from any of the three locations via a laptop as I go back and forth often. I also want to add a network hard drive box in the future that can be accessed by all the computers on the network.

What is simplest way to do what I want using the 3 Linksys WRT-54GL routers that just arrived today?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Configure your main router like normal.

Config the other two to recieve a address from the main router. Give them a different wireless name. Disable DHCP on them.

You do not need DD-wrt for this.

(hindsight is 20-20 and all, but you should have gotten a router with a built-in gigabit switch. That would give you better speeds between the routers.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top