Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/20/2017 9:13:38 PM EDT
Been playing with EasyHDR, it is a nice program,  but it still produces photos that look like something out of a fairy tale book.

I looked into phototanix (sp), but it looks like the same stuff just more expensive.

https://digital-photography-school.com/natural-looking-hdr-photoshop-lightroom-5-easy-steps/

That seems more promising, but my laptop is a bit of a pig and I haven't been home much to try the method on my desktop.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The trick to HDR is to make it look like it's not HDR

For me this means keeping exposures very close.

For example iso 200 mixed with iso 400

Not 200 and 1600
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not 200 and 1600
View Quote
All my pics are 200 to 400 iso, with -2, 0 , 2 exposures.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not 200 and 1600
Yikes really? What camera?

Bear in mind most cameras already do Psuedo HDR at the sensor level with multiple ISOs getting multiple parts of the gamma curve

So if you have a camera that already has 14 stops dynamic it's probably not going to look good

If you have an old camera with 9 stops then HDR would make things pop

Also, remember that HDR only really looks striking in a high contrast scene, like looking through a tunnel or out a window
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Bear in mind most cameras already do Psuedo HDR at the sensor level with multiple ISOs getting multiple parts of the gamma curve

So if you have a camera that already has 14 stops dynamic it's probably not going to look good

Also, remember that HDR only really looks striking in a high contrast scene, like looking through a tunnel or out a window
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not 200 and 1600

Canon EOS 80D.

Wait,  so HDR wouldn't look good in sunset scenes?  Ot sunrise?

Edit : Remember, I am doing AEB in AV mode with 3 shots.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Canon EOS 80D.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not 200 and 1600

Canon EOS 80D.

Well sunset IS a high contrast scene so HDR could work there.

I just know personally that the HDR photos that make people go wow are usually indoors with windows. I remember the first time I saw an HDR photo like that I was shocked.

In a low contrast setting it just causes excess micro-contrast and vomit of colors.

Oh wait wait wait! Your using three shots?

Just pick two of the three, never use all three of that's what you mean (forgive if that's not what you mean, but some people do HDR with 3)

Also the 80d has a very good dynamic range as is, that may be the issue
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just know personally that the HDR photos that make people go wow are usually indoors with windows. I remember the first time I saw an HDR photo like that I was shocked.

In a low contrast setting it just causes excess micro-contrast and vomit of colors.

Just pick two of the three, never use all three of that's what you mean (forgive if that's not what you mean, but some people do HDR with 3)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not 200 and 1600

Canon EOS 80D.

Whattt? Lol

Yeah, its 3 shots.  2 under exposure,  0 exposure and 2 over exposure.

I have never seen just two be used.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147049294@N03/33784692330/

This is an example.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Whattt? Lol

This is an example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not 200 and 1600

Canon EOS 80D.

Whattt? Lol

This is an example.
That's a really good photo.

Yea when I learned photography we used 2 photos not 3.

Though we also mixed them manually, there were no HDR programs back then.

Just realize the technical limitations of the camera sensor.

If you want both highlights and shadows in exposure, your going to have wacky chroma data at very least and probably some odd luma data in microcontrasted areas

Also if all else fails you could do the same iso but one at f1.8 and one at f2.0 etc

Going from f1.8 to f2.8 is the same exposure difference as going from iso 200 to iso 400

So a .4 aperture difference would be just %40 the amount of HDR-ness

(Obviously requires a fast hand and a still subject like slow-moving Sky)
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I too prefer more mild than wild when it comes to HDR.  Never heard of the software package you use, but I was impressed with photomatix pro from hdrsoft.  https://www.hdrsoft.com/  I sprung the pro but they have a download where you can try before you buy.  Another mention that produced similar result is the free nik collection from Google.  Takes a little work to figure out how to use it.  

Attachment Attached File

ETA: Sounds like photomatix is the one you  looked at already. They have presets that have the cartoony look too, I just don't use them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Kik Effects. /thread
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Kik Effects. /thread
View Quote
Kik or nik?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn you iPhone. 

Hey baby, wanna text? 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:46:25 AM EDT
[#12]
B&H's Youtube channel has several presentations on various HDR topics. I skimmed a couple and just remember there is a shit ton of info there if you want to check it out.

Good HDR is pretty rare.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:51:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Adobe has a fairly decent guide here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can help you with the HDR stuff but I'm a bit tied up now. I'll come back later and post some stuff about HDR.

Edit: Judging from that sunset picture you posted, HDR isn't really what you need.

The effect you're looking for can be accomplished by using ETTR and some post processing.

Use your histogram to verify exposure, you want big peaks to the right but not completely blown out. I usually end up in the +1 to +2 range depending on the scene in question. YMMV.

Once you've gotten that in RAW, bring it back to lightroom or photoshop.

You'll be messing with the exposure, contrast, highlight, shadow, white, black sliders.

Straight outta the gate, highlights -100, shadows +100. Exposure may want to come down a little. Then alt+drag the white up until it pops, then back it off slightly. Alt+drag the black down until it pops, then back it off slightly.

That should get you in the neighborhood of what you're going for, in a single shot. Toss on a bit of clarity, up the vibrance, down the saturation a touch...and you'll have done that sunset picture you posted above, but better, in a single image.
View Quote
I have posted this question before,  but the problem I run into is when I take that single photo, the picture will give the correct colors to either the ground or the sky, but not both.   Depends on where I focus and the camera adjusts for exposure.

With what you're saying, will that help the issue?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have lightroom try their native hdr program or download nik for free. If you are interested in nik check youtube for tutorials. Lots of good ones that show how to use it and get natural looks. You can use anything from 2 to 6 pictures or more. Nik allows you tons of control in the process and it can make a very nice product.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have posted this question before,  but the problem I run into is when I take that single photo, the picture will give the correct colors to either the ground or the sky, but not both.   Depends on where I focus and the camera adjusts for exposure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can help you with the HDR stuff but I'm a bit tied up now. I'll come back later and post some stuff about HDR.

Edit: Judging from that sunset picture you posted, HDR isn't really what you need.

The effect you're looking for can be accomplished by using ETTR and some post processing.

Use your histogram to verify exposure, you want big peaks to the right but not completely blown out. I usually end up in the +1 to +2 range depending on the scene in question. YMMV.

You'll be messing with the exposure, contrast, highlight, shadow, white, black sliders.

Straight outta the gate, highlights -100, shadows +100. Exposure may want to come down a little. Then alt+drag the white up until it pops, then back it off slightly. Alt+drag the black down until it pops, then back it off slightly.

That should get you in the neighborhood of what you're going for, in a single shot. Toss on a bit of clarity, up the vibrance, down the saturation a touch...and you'll have done that sunset picture you posted above, but better, in a single image.

If that photo is an hdr it looks really good. You could adjust everything in lightroom. From a quick look nothing looks blown or underexposed. The above suggestions for lightroom adjustments are very good and will probably get you close to what you want with the photo.

If that photo is a single image you caught everything you need. I'm assuming you want to lighten the foreground and that would be accomplished with the suggested lightroom adjustments.

With a sunset/sunrise you are probably not going to get the exposure you want unless the composition calls for a dark foreground. You can sometimes adjust the exposure looking at the histogram. You are trying to avoid blown highlights or underexposed areas. If you can do this the picture may not look great in camera but all the data is there and can be adjusted during processing.

In the past the most common method would have been to use a graduated filter. Essentially its an hdr photo created with a manual filter.

Back to your question. You may be misunderstanding a little.  Its not the colors that are off during your exposure. It's the luminance or brightness. The colors are there in the data and can be recovered, except in the over or under exposed areas. In those areas its just blacks and whites. This is a little simplistic in the explanation. No those lightroom adjustments wont help if the data is gone, the camera just recorded white or black. This is exactly what hdr is for.

Understanding exposure is a great book that may help you.

Last thing, with hdr it is best to focus and then turn the camera to manual focus.  You dont want the focus changing between shots. Also put your camera in shutter priority mode and lock the iso. The only thing you want changing between shots is the shutter speed. If apeture changes it can change depth of field between shots. Ideally shoot at your base iso. This will probably only work on a tripod.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#18]
my suggestion is just to stop doing HDR
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:47:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I second this.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
So, I took your suggestion with a single photo.

I also created 2 other HDR photos, one using EASYHDR and the other using Lightroom's HDR program.

I have posted the three photos, with a spoiler tag of which photo is which.

#1 by Robert Mc, on Flickr

#2 by Robert Mc, on Flickr

#3 by Robert Mc, on Flickr

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I second this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I second this.
You guys are no fun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#22]
can you post up the original of that photo?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
can you post up the original of that photo?
View Quote
Well, I used AEB to create the photos for the HDR.

Ill post all 3 at the different exposures if you want later.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I dont understand the hate for hdr. Of course it can be over done but so can any processing. It allows you to take photos that you otherwise wouldnt be able to. Would anyone ever choose a camera with less dynamic range, if all other factors were equivalent?

Humble suggestion, if you take that photo again shift the composition to the left. You will get all of the trees in the frame and the road may work as a leading line. You could also try getting closer to the ground.

See what you think about this. If you dont like me messing with your photo let me know and I will pull it.

free image uploadingcertificity.com
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I dont understand the hate for hdr. Of course it can be over done but so can any processing. It allows you to take photos that you otherwise wouldnt be able to. Would anyone ever choose a camera with less dynamic range, if all other factors were equivalent?

Humble suggestion, if you take that photo again shift the composition to the left. You will get all of the trees in the frame and the road may work as a leading line. You could also try getting closer to the ground.

See what you think about this. If you dont like me messing with your photo let me know and I will pull it.

https://s24.postimg.org/rfo3li8lx/33386646573_9226297be2_b-_Edit-_Edit.jpgfree image uploadingcertificity.com
View Quote
No problem with you playing around with it.

In a pic like that though, I find it too saturated.  But that is my taste.

I think the sky is slightly better than mine, but the ground is too green.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://s24.postimg.org/rfo3li8lx/33386646573_9226297be2_b-_Edit-_Edit.jpgfree image uploadingcertificity.com
View Quote
TRIGGER WARNING: I'm about to express my opinion.

IMO HDR kills whats interesting about a good photo. That is the balance between light and shadow. Even a mildly processes HDR look way too processed and mundane. Same goes for that whole highlight to -100 and shadow to +100. That shits got to stop. Highlight and shadow are powerful tools, but the over use of them that is so prevalent today is a downright tragedy. I see these HDR photos and ones with shadow and highlight pulled to the extreme ends and all I can do is shake my head.  

Contrast is lost and with it, any depth and interest that might have been there to start with.

A photo taken with the proper exposure, in the proper light at the right time are way more interesting to me. YMMV.

Something like this is, to me at least, a far more interesting photo. It's as close as I can remember to an actual representation of what I saw when I stepped out the front door a couple of weeks ago.

Now, I did crop this, as I shot it vertical for some reason leaving a half mile of sky up top, but you get the idea. It was also under exposed about 3 stops as the purpose was to see just ho far I can push this D750. I would have normally shot it maybe a stop under on the sky, so I was pushing the processing.

Attachment Attached File

The cool thing about photography is that we can have these sort of discussions on difference of opinion. But, I hold fast in my opinion. The uncool part of photography is HDR and flat out irresponsible use of the shadow slider.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I've just been using the feature built into Lightroom.

HDR isn't a big enough deal to me to delve into other packages.

Sunset 20170220 by FredMan, on Flickr

GVE VORTAC HDR by FredMan, on Flickr

Mauna Kea Cloud Cap by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#28]
IMG_2040 by Robert Mc, on Flickr

IMG_2041 by Robert Mc, on Flickr

IMG_2042 by Robert Mc, on Flickr

-2, 0, +2 in that order.

@NoVaGator
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#29]
ok, here's your middle image with a 3 minute tweak... and none of it was highlight -100/shadow +100

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
ok, here's your middle image with a 3 minute tweak... and none of it was highlight -100/shadow +100

http://i.imgur.com/Y8HnyaO.jpg
View Quote
Nice X.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
HDR does have one thing going for it, when used properly.

It comes closer to replicating what the eye can see.

I process nearly 100% of my pictures following the ETTR rule to boost the dynamic range a bit beyond what would ordinarily be available.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56693/-DSC0206-187761.jpg  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56693/-DSC0492-191665.jpg  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56693/-DSC0491-191664.jpg  

A few recent pictures that benefited greatly from this method of processing.

Is it right for everyone, of course not. But, it is the closest I've been able to get to being able to show you what my eyes were seeing when I took the picture.
View Quote
Whats your guide for doing ETTR?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Check the archives, it's there somewhere. I'll find a link later if you haven't found it yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whats your guide for doing ETTR?
Check the archives, it's there somewhere. I'll find a link later if you haven't found it yet.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_121/1804564_Let-s-talk-about-exposure---reasons-to-overexpose-your-images-and-why-high-ISO-isn-t-bad--new-pics.html

The search function is a bit wonky, but that is what I found.

The details on what to take prior to LR is good, but not in LR.

Unless there is another thread?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you have lightroom try their native hdr program or download nik for free. If you are interested in nik check youtube for tutorials. Lots of good ones that show how to use it and get natural looks. You can use anything from 2 to 6 pictures or more. Nik allows you tons of control in the process and it can make a very nice product.
View Quote
I shoot a bit underexposed when shooting a subject with a bright sky to avoid losing all detail in the sky, then I play with Shadows and Highlights until I get it where it needs to be.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well between this thread and that one I'd say the subject has been well covered. Do you have specific questions?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_121/1804564_Let-s-talk-about-exposure---reasons-to-overexpose-your-images-and-why-high-ISO-isn-t-bad--new-pics.html

The search function is a bit wonky, but that is what I found.

The details on what to take prior to LR is good, but not in LR.

Unless there is another thread?
Well between this thread and that one I'd say the subject has been well covered. Do you have specific questions?
Yes.

In LR, when you are adjusting the picture, what is the order that you hit the sliders?

I noticed above you mentioned highlights and shadows at 100 / -100,  but I wasn't sure if that was for ETTR.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
OK. This should cover my thought processes here I hope.

Let's start with a SOOC image.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56693/sooc-194132.jpg  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56693/SOOC-infos-194129.png  

I have an import preset that does things like lens corrections, and throws a basic ETTR correction on minus a few things that I prefer to adjust manually.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56693/sooc-plus-dd-194131.jpg  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56693/sooc-plus-dd-info-194130.png  

And here's the final result

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56693/final-image-194128.jpg  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56693/final-image-info-194127.png  

The -100 and +100 on the shadows and highlights are done by feel. Some pictures need less. Same with the white/black sliders and the clarity, contrast, etc. I sometimes tweak them hard, sometimes not at all. Just depends on what the picture wants. The exposure is another one that may require some, lots, or none at all. In this example, the picture was overexposed by well.. over 2 stops and still lost no detail at all in the sky. This is why we shoot raw.

I chose this example to highlight just how far you can take the ETTR and not lose information, mainly to counterpoint the above poster that said underexposing the sky is the right thing to do.

It isn't exactly the best example of ETTR, but you can see the workflow anyway.
View Quote
Thanks.

Now, what happens if you have a picture that is still too dark (histogram is far left), even with +1, do you increase the exposure another stop or dive into bracketing?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#44]
@Zack3g

HDR.LR.IMG_21 by Robert Mc, on Flickr

Thanks for your help. I found Lightroom's HDR to be the best as it allows me to fully control the highlights, shadows etc after the merging of the files. Frankly, this photo above is more realistic of what I saw when I took the picture originally.

Only question I have, is how do I get the blue sky to pop out a little more?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#45]
You can try the hsl tab. At the top left of the tab is a little button. Hold it over the sky and hold the left mouse button while you move the mouse up and down. The tab will choose the color it is held over and moving the mouse will increase the hue saturation or luminance depending on which one you have open.

You can also try the camera calibration tab. Go all the way to the bottom and move the blue slider to the right.

You can also use the brush.  Paint the blue areas in the sky and then you can selectively adjust with exposure, saturation, vibrance, etc.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#46]
here's some ETTR action from today

before:

after (with crop, but not a single local adjustment)

that's a male Mountain Bluebird, by the way
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You can try the hsl tab. At the top left of the tab is a little button. Hold it over the sky and hold the left mouse button while you move the mouse up and down. The tab will choose the color it is held over and moving the mouse will increase the hue saturation or luminance depending on which one you have open.

You can also try the camera calibration tab. Go all the way to the bottom and move the blue slider to the right.

You can also use the brush.  Paint the blue areas in the sky and then you can selectively adjust with exposure, saturation, vibrance, etc.
View Quote
The HSL did it, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
What was the over exposure at?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What was the over exposure at?
View Quote
a full stop

(f/8 rather than f/11)

ETA: I should add that I had to underexpose -2.3 in LR to get to this end result, but that's after jacking shadows and dumping highlights.

When I say a full stop underexposed, it's a full stop under how the scene would meter if *not* using ETTL.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top