Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2015 10:15:01 PM EDT
I'm looking to get a microphone for my gopro4. What are some good options in the mic department? I was looking into RODE mics but there are different ones and I have no idea what to get. I want to use it for my shooting and car videos so I'm thinking a shotgun (directional type) is what I need. Fill me in folks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Bag the plug in mic concept. Get a Zoom H4N and record sound separate. Has built in condenser mics and plugs for plug in mics
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been fairly happy with my Azden mics.  I am running a little smx10 on my go pro rig.  It works pretty well.  And only cost me around 55 bucks.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:17:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have been fairly happy with my Azden mics.  I am running a little smx10 on my go pro rig.  It works pretty well.  And only cost me around 55 bucks.  

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/MISC/GoPro_oncarrier_zps4efd9a8f.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/MISC/GoProcarrier_zps674d1de7.jpg
View Quote

That more what I'm looking for at the moment. Only trying to spend around $50-$100 right now. Thanks guys for the input!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:46:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/MISC/GoPro_oncarrier_zps4efd9a8f.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/MISC/GoProcarrier_zps674d1de7.jpg
View Quote

What kind of rig is that? What do you use it for?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What kind of rig is that? What do you use it for?
View Quote

It is a Sunpak 1000 video grip for mini camcorders.  I installed a GoPro tripod adapter on it,  Hooked up the mic with the GoPro 3.5 mic adapter and installed the little Azden mic and mic mount on the shoe adapter.  And I use the video back as a view finder.

I used the clip that holds the Wifi remote into the original GoPro case cut it to the shape i needed and drilled and countersunk a couple holes into it and screwed it to the C-frame.  The remote acts like a remote rec button on the back of the grip.  

I use it for just about everything when I don't want to take the big cameras out.  It works real well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
The Rode Videomic is nice.  One of the only issues is that you can't monitor the sound.

If you wanted to get a H4n or an H1n, you can use it to dual record and even set up the cable to monitor sound with headphones.  You would need a rig to set it all up though.

Juicedlink has some products that could work as well.  I'm really interested in their Little Darling which could do well with the filmmaking that I am producing.   I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for as well.  With those you have to sync sound in post and is best used for body mics.

With your gopro, can you adjust the recording level on the mic input?  I can with the DSLRs that I use but I don't use gopros.  If so, the Rode will work.  If not look at the Zoom products.  The H1n can be found for $70-80 and can work as a camera mic or a handheld digital recorder...or both!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Rode Videomic is nice.  One of the only issues is that you can't monitor the sound.

With your gopro, can you adjust the recording level on the mic input?  I can with the DSLRs that I use but I don't use gopros.  If so, the Rode will work.  If not look at the Zoom products.  The H1n can be found for $70-80 and can work as a camera mic or a handheld digital recorder...or both!
View Quote

No adjustment with the GoPro.  It can be monitored with the correct cable.  However If I was worried about adjusting the sound levels on it I would add a beachtek DXA Pocket or something on that order.  

I have had no real need for fine audio control on the GoPro setup.  On my bigger cameras there is no issue with those settings,  If i needed that sort of control I would grab them as the GoPro setup is made more for portability and ease of use.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I went to my local guitar center and they had this Tascam DR-05, its comparable to the H1n. I watched a few comparison videos on youtube and the Tascam sounded pretty good, a little better than the H1n. Seems like it would be good for my usage and It's priced at $99. Have any of you guys used the Tascam?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a tascam dr07.  It is great.  I have 7 zoom H4ns and the dr07 does a great job in comparison.  It pretty much is a compromise between the H1n (or dr05) and the H4n.   I purchased the dr07 for 110 bucks.  If you can find a similar deal I would go with the dr07 if you want to go tascam.   The H1n can be found for 70-80 bucks and you probably could find the dr05 for a similar price.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top