Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2017 12:07:27 AM EDT
If there is already one I haven't been able to find it, so I made a quick and dirty server, nothing fancy. Everybody is welcome of course but I have some specific channels for PUBG. If anybody wants to see more channels for specific games just drop it in chat I'll get it done. Of course those on console are more than welcome to join and if any voice channels are needed for console just drop me a line. If it takes off I would love to have a couple moderators. Link: Arfcom Discord
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If there is already one I haven't been able to find it, so I made a quick and dirty server, nothing fancy. Everybody is welcome of course but I have some specific channels for PUBG. If anybody wants to see more channels for specific games just drop it in chat I'll get it done. Of course those on console are more than welcome to join and if any voice channels are needed for console just drop me a line. If it takes off I would love to have a couple moderators. Link: Arfcom Discord
View Quote
Isn't Discord teamspeaks little retarded brother?

There use to be an arfcom Teamspeak but some guy started a bunch of drama on it and then came on here and DOXXED a police officer from the arfcom teamspeak and said a bunch of other crazy shit (he was banned from arfcom though). I just never went back there after the drama got out of control.

edit: Oh FYI I'm on the Valhalla gaming group for minecraft, Ark, Empyrion, and a few other games. We don't always have all the servers up at all times just whatever the flavor of the week is, we use a teamspeak though and we don't lock it down to just arfcommers, its Valhalla.sx
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
edit: double posted somehow
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isn't Discord teamspeaks little retarded brother?

There use to be an arfcom Teamspeak but some guy started a bunch of drama on it and then came on here and DOXXED a police officer from the arfcom teamspeak and said a bunch of other crazy shit (he was banned from arfcom though). I just never went back there after the drama got out of control.

edit: Oh FYI I'm on the Valhalla gaming group for minecraft, Ark, Empyrion, and a few other games. We don't always have all the servers up at all times just whatever the flavor of the week is, we use a teamspeak though and we don't lock it down to just arfcommers, its Valhalla.sx
View Quote
Eh.... To each their own and all but I used teamspeak for a pretty long time back in the day and while teamspeak probably has more utility I find that discord is overall easier to use. It's easier to get people into because one URL and you can have somebody join up via their browser, the phone app isn't bad at all, etc etc. If I have to get a friend online and into a chat it generally takes about 2 minutes, if I have to get them into teamspeak and they're not super tech savy I won't be seeing them for at least 15 minutes.

Wasn't planning on locking it down to solely arfcommers. Arfcommers and their friends are obviously welcome, I think servers get out of hand when you start getting into more than 1 degree of seperation. Once it turns into friends of friends of friends you no longer have an arfcom server.

edit: Not really taking off in any which case, got one dude so far. Just noticed it's a pain in the ass to get people together for PUBG and what not since everybody is playing off in a corner by themselves. I like jumping on discord because I can browse a few different communities at once and see who's got a game up.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly that's exactly why I use it, I want it to be hard to get into for non-tech savvy people. I hate explaining mod packs and the like to people so I want people who are tech savvy enough to install a simple program and be able to read the menu lol.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discord has been getting more and more popular.

The messaging and server browsing system in Discord is a million times better, too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]
bumping for visibility. Would really like to consolidate some of the pubg peeps in here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Discord has been getting more and more popular.

The messaging and server browsing system in Discord is a million times better, too.
View Quote
Yup. Teamspeak probably has some more utility especially in larger milsim sort of stuff but it's pretty cool to have maybe 5 of my different gaming groups being able to message each other via browser, phone, or client and keep up with stuff in and out of game.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:12:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Ive been using discord for a while now

It is really gaining momentum, good call on setting one up
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump for visibility, actually getting some groups together regularly now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#10]
It took me a long time to get used to discord and use it, but I really like it now. you can join multiple groups and only join voice chat channels for whatever game or group you're with. lets you keep track of conversations better. it's like a mashup of TS and google chat.

edit: there's an AR15 gaming discord channel, but I don't see the harm in having more then one. Different people, different games or conversation subjects.

https://discord.gg/EvSFQ9
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It took me a long time to get used to discord and use it, but I really like it now. you can join multiple groups and only join voice chat channels for whatever game or group you're with. lets you keep track of conversations better. it's like a mashup of TS and google chat.

edit: there's an AR15 gaming discord channel, but I don't see the harm in having more then one. Different people, different games or conversation subjects.

https://discord.gg/EvSFQ9
View Quote
The problem with TeamSpeak is that it's a little too complex.  Myself (an MCSE and MCITP) and another extremely knowledgeable admin locked down our TS3 server.  At some point a few months later we had a friend of a friend get on.  Within minutes he'd added himself to every group except Admins.  Some TS patch had opened up quite a few security holes when they'd added new features.  So far I've seen none of that problem with Discord.  Plus we don't have to pay for it.

Non-expiring link to the Discord Slick listed:  https://discord.gg/0sdMvjKlwj0aUDMw

Any ARFCOM'ers welcome.  If you need a custom channel just hit up one of the many admins:  BigAJ, BottledViolence, darkvesperia, Journeyman, Jungle_Jim, MetalgearMk2, Rezan86, Simple_Man, me, etc.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Joined txgunner87
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top