Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2015 3:15:01 AM EDT
Release date is set for February 05, 2016, and you can now pre-order the game (regular or deluxe).

Steam preload begins "Soon™"

Reviews are coming out now:

94/100 - PC Gamer
9/10 - Gamespot
4.5/5 - The Escapist
9.3/10 - IGN

I received a 25% new 27% off code from Greenmangaming that anyone should be able to use:
Click To View Spoiler

Code expires Feb 1.

If you buy it there, you'll get a Steam activation code sometime near the release date.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:25:41 AM EDT
[#1]
there is only one xcom II, it ran on DOS & took place underwater. these reboots can take a hike...

thnx anyway for the link.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:31:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
there is only one xcom II, it ran on DOS & took place underwater. these reboots can take a hike...

View Quote

I grew up playing the original (and sequels), and can confidently say that you're doing yourself an incredible disservice if you don't give the XCOM reboot a chance.  It's nothing short of a modern classic.  Literally among my favorite games of all time.  XCOM 2 looks to be even better.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I never really messed with XCom the series. It's on sale for like ten bucks on Steam with the DLCs and all. Should I get it?
View Quote

If you like turn-based, tactical, squad-sized battles with a base building strategic layer, you can't go wrong.

There is a demo that, if I remember correctly, is a sample tactical mission.  Give it a try and see if you like it.

"The Enemy Within" DLC is basically a mod for the game that adds more soldier classes, missions, and strategic options - the overall story is the same.  It's definitely worth it if you like the game.  If you get the DLC, I would skip playing the base "Enemy Unknown" (you'll get to choose when you launch the game).

FWIW, I have 278 hours of play time, according to Steam.  The only games I've played more (in recent years) are the Rome and Rome 2 Total War games, and Destiny.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I liked the originals and I thought Enemy Unknown as a decent enough game. I'll most likely get number 2 when it goes on Steam sale at some point.

My only gripe about the new game is that its difficulty balancing is kind of whack. It is either way too easy or way too hard... it doesn't seem to have a good "middle ground" setting. I'm either walking over everything with relative ease or screaming at my monitor that the computer is a cheating bitch.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:51:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The new reboot was good but it was GREAT with the expansion/add-on.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Let's keep this party going!  So fired up for this one.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My only gripe about the new game is that its difficulty balancing is kind of whack. It is either way too easy or way too hard... it doesn't seem to have a good "middle ground" setting. I'm either walking over everything with relative ease or screaming at my monitor that the computer is a cheating bitch.
View Quote

Playing on Classic difficulty with Ironman Mode (only one save; no reloads) provides a good challenge and keeps the tension pretty high all game until near the end when all the soldiers are maxed out.  Even an "easy" mission can go sideways and cost you an experienced soldier.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Playing on Classic difficulty with Ironman Mode (only one save; no reloads) provides a good challenge and keeps the tension pretty high all game until near the end when all the soldiers are maxed out.  Even an "easy" mission can go sideways and cost you an experienced soldier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol I loved the first, and even more its expansion.

My only gripe is unless playing on that Iron Man mode I just reload everytime I make a mistake.  Even if I don't lose a squadmate I will reload multiple times in a mission.  

I also hate ending my turn when I "discovered" an enemy.  Because they will have first action on me during their next turn.  Instant reload.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#10]
OP updated with new 27% off code.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I grew up playing the original (and sequels), and can confidently say that you're doing yourself an incredible disservice if you don't give the XCOM reboot a chance.  It's nothing short of a modern classic.  Literally among my favorite games of all time.  XCOM 2 looks to be even better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ajek is correct.

The original XCOM2 would have you running all over a huge map trying to find one panicked lobster hiding in a closet right about now...
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
The new XCOM game was fucking awesome, especially with the expansion pack.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Huge fan of classic XCOM and the reboot was spectacular (although I prefer Enemy Unknown to Enemy Within).

Pumped for XCOM 2.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:18:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Huge fan of classic XCOM and the reboot was spectacular (although I prefer Enemy Unknown to Enemy Within).

Pumped for XCOM 2.

View Quote
You didn't enjoy punching Mutons in the dick with your giant power armor equipped dudes?!

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone seen anything about preload date?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Soon™"  

They confirmed there will be a preload, and only said, "soon".
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

"Soon™"  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Soon™"  

I checked today and still no preload.  I thought I read somewhere it's a 45gb download.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I checked today and still no preload.  I thought I read somewhere it's a 45gb download.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Soon™"  

The required hard drive space is 45GB, so the download should be a little bit smaller (35-40GB, probably).
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I liked the originals and I thought Enemy Unknown as a decent enough game. I'll most likely get number 2 when it goes on Steam sale at some point.

View Quote

this.

nothing pisses me off more than missing 10 in a row 90% shots.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Pre-load available!  24.7GB

Release times:

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I just preloaded. Gonna try the proxy trick to get it early. May not work though as my game said NA on Green Man Gaming so it may be North America only.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just preloaded. Gonna try the proxy trick to get it early. May not work though as my game said NA on Green Man Gaming so it may be North America only.
View Quote

I don't know about Green Man Gaming, specifically, but a lot of those sites that sell Steam keys get the keys from Russia/Eastern Europe.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I don't know about Green Man Gaming, specifically, but a lot of those sites that sell Steam keys get the keys from Russia/Eastern Europe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Green Man Gaming is a very popular and legit site. You can often find games $10-$15 cheaper there before/at release using discount codes. It's not a bootleg site.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:49:54 AM EDT
[#25]
There's a pre order DLC that gives you an extra starting Soldier.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#26]
The advertised release day mods can be found in the Steam workshop, or here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/longwarstudios/myworkshopfiles/?appid=268500
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The advertised release day mods can be found in the Steam workshop, or here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/longwarstudios/myworkshopfiles/?appid=268500
View Quote

Fighting aliens with P90s? Sign me up!

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't skip the tutorial mission. It's annoying and you can only do what the game tells you to, but there's story info in it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:17:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Just finished the 2nd mission and I'm pretty underwhelmed. Game play is a solid meh and the fps bug is definitely something that should have been fixed well before the release.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:58:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just finished the 2nd mission and I'm pretty underwhelmed. Game play is a solid meh and the fps bug is definitely something that should have been fixed well before the release.
View Quote

I just finished the 2nd mission.  It kicks ass so far.  Can't wait to unlock more soldiers' abilities.

I read about the fps bug, but I haven't seen any slowdown, stuttering, or other frame rate issues (playing on max settings).

The game is installed on an SSD, and the mission load time is a little longer than the original game without an SSD, but not too bad.  (original game's load was basically instant with an SSD)
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:09:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Remember the fallen  

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:23:30 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

I'm a few more missions in and starting to enjoy it more. But is every mission on a clock now?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:43:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm a few more missions in and starting to enjoy it more. But is every mission on a clock now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I had one mission without a clock so far.  According to a review I read, most missions have a timer, but not all.  Also, some missions have ways to bypass the timer.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#34]
alright alright I'm up....time to play bitches...

Edit:  

So far the game has been fun, but it's plagued with performance issues (Medium keeps FPS at 60 during non-cutscene).  I decided to test things out on easy before going in deep.

Gripe/QQ

-GFX gliches (which is already known)
-Panic from Sectoid is way overpowered.  Ever mission they've had a 100% hit rate on my squad.  I just spent 15 mins waiting for panic to wear off my squad, so I could actually attack the enemy.
-The game slows down or locks up if you micromanage your base too quickly.
-Load time in between missions is slow.  I feel like I'm playing a console game with loading times.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#35]
server very slow this morning for me....

still making the final download and it's taking forever.

My plan to play mission 1 before work today is a failure.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Edit:  

So far the game has been fun, but it's plagued with performance issues (Medium keeps FPS at 60 during non-cutscene).  I decided to test things out on easy before going in deep.

Gripe/QQ

-Panic from Sectoid is way overpowered.  Ever mission they've had a 100% hit rate on my squad.  I just spent 15 mins waiting for panic to wear off my squad, so I could actually attack the enemy.
-Load time in between missions is slow.  I feel like I'm playing a console game with loading times.
View Quote

Yep. And there's no way this wasn't known. We're not talking about a MMO that has bugs that are freshly discovered when a 100k players suddenly log on.

I'm not loving the timer on every fucking mission. Don't blow smoke up my ass about how you have to use tactics, then slap a timer on the mission so I have to run right in.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yep. And there's no way this wasn't known. We're not talking about a MMO that has bugs that are freshly discovered when a 100k players suddenly log on.

I'm not loving the timer on every fucking mission. Don't blow smoke up my ass about how you have to use tactics, then slap a timer on the mission so I have to run right in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:  

Gripe/QQ

The timer wouldn't be bad if the enemy didn't have the upper hand every damn mission, but it's annoying.  Better hit rate, better cover penetration, better range... and I'm on noob difficulty.  I really didn't care for the Long War mod (I'm not a hardcore EU player) and their work does show in Xcom 2 with the AI being so powerful.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Game is good so far.  Love the concealment and melee systems.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Works well if the game wants to play fair lol.

After 10 turns they still won't split up and the game makes me fight them...

Edit: FUCK YOU LONG WAR TEAM FUCK YOU IN YOUR ASSES WITH YOUR BULLSHIT AI TWEAKS!
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You didn't enjoy punching Mutons in the dick with your giant power armor equipped dudes?!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pumped for XCOM 2.

I just loved how much explosives a properly equipped robot dick-puncher could sling all over the map.
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works well if the game wants to play fair lol.

After 10 turns they still won't split up and the game makes me fight them...

http://i.imgur.com/Go1fEjo.jpg

Edit: FUCK YOU LONG WAR TEAM FUCK YOU IN YOUR ASSES WITH YOUR BULLSHIT AI TWEAKS!

Did the Long War devs work on XCom 2?
I liked a few of their changes to 1, but it really sucked how much they were locked into using game assets, menus, etc, and some of the stuff they added was just sadistic.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I liked a few of their changes to 1, but it really sucked how much they were locked into using game assets, menus, etc, and some of the stuff they added was just sadistic.

Kharn
View Quote

The Long War guys formed their own studio.  They made 3 official mods that I linked to at the top of this page.  They're also making their own game.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:52:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone know if you can change the class of your soldiers? I made a few  and they all got assigned support.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Anyone know if you can change the class of your soldiers? I made a few  and they all got assigned support.
View Quote

You can't change their class once assigned.  However if you build a Guerilla Training School, you can train Rookies to specific classes.

ETA: There's some pretty good advice here, it's too bad the tutorial doesn't cover this kind of thing: http://www.pcgamer.com/xcom-2-guide/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:45:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You can't change their class once assigned.  However if you build a Guerilla Training School, you can train Rookies to specific classes.

ETA: There's some pretty good advice here, it's too bad the tutorial doesn't cover this kind of thing: http://www.pcgamer.com/xcom-2-guide/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dammit. My arfcom gaming buddies are all drone operators. Something ironic about this.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:00:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The Long War guys formed their own studio.  They made 3 official mods that I linked to at the top of this page.  They're also making their own game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

I big chunk of Long War concepts were rolled into Xcom2.  I'm nine hours in and it feels more like Long War mod.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#46]
I created a bunch of custom Soldiers, imported Central into the character pool and started a new game. I finish the 2nd mission and when I check the Armory, Centrals appearance has completely changed and the hair/beard options aren't there to give him his original look. Anyone else have this problem? I had him in my squad during my first playthrough and he imported correctly.

Edit: I was wrong, the hair and beard can be changed, but his sweater is gone.

He should look like this:

Instead, he looks like this. Who slipped him a pot brownie?!

And does anyone know of a good site with custom characters? I saw a squad setup that had the cast of Archer, but I didn't have alot of luck recreating it.

And here's my custom guy.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#47]
The timed missions are too damned fast.  Some folks are more Longstreet than Stonewall.

The reprisal missions suck because you come in on a remote edge while all the violence is going on in the town.  Unless you just run face first into combat most of the citizens will be dead before you get there.  There are 13 civilians to save, of which less than 6 saved is a mission failure. 1-2 die each turn. I've never seen a civilian within 1 turn of the LZ. So you have a maximum of 5 turns to save 6 civilians. If you ambush, you lose. If you get hung up for a turn on reloads, you lose. If you get bottlenecked for a turn, you lose. I like timed missions, but they're geared toward blind assaults only.

I think I need to turn it down to veteran.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Check the Xcom 2 reddit. There's a couple different people starting up character databases for the pool. I'm thinking about a squad from Archer. Krieger gets the drone, of course.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I actually really like the timers in the missions, but for those who don't, there is now a mod to remove (most of) them:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616964599
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:27:23 AM EDT
[#50]
The character pool is addicting. Now I'm trying to figure out if I can edit custom sound files for them.

Edit: Gave Ray his mustache and Krieger got a drone. But they start as rookies so they could be any class. I save scummed until they got the classes I wanted.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzdqrforcby17wm/Archer.bin?dl=0

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top