Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2014 11:47:06 AM EDT
I bought the PS4 and was eagerly awaiting the new gen games. So far everyone one of them has sucked.

Watch dogs, a repetitive boring fucking game with a story I couldn't give a fuck about.

Destiny, I was so psyched for it and it seemed cool at first. Then I had to replay the same areas over and over and it just got boring quick.

So I traded Destiny in for $40 and bought Mordor. Fun game, loved the fighting, but now it too is just the same thing over and over. There is no variety to this game at all. Everything is the same, the scenery, the creatures you fight.

It's one giant boring fucking camp site with orcs and some human slaves. Maybe if they put the game in different environments as you progress through the game it wouldn't feel so repetitive.

I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm 40 years old now, have less patience and expect more when I pay so much for a game system and over $60 per game.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I had high hopes for Watch dogs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Old modded games > New crap + DLC games
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I bought the PS4 and was eagerly awaiting the new gen games. So far everyone one of them has sucked.

Watch dogs, a repetitive boring fucking game with a story I couldn't give a fuck about.

Destiny, I was so psyched for it and it seemed cool at first. Then I had to replay the same areas over and over and it just got boring quick.

So I traded Destiny in for $40 and bought Mordor. Fun game, loved the fighting, but now it too is just the same thing over and over. There is no variety to this game at all. Everything is the same, the scenery, the creatures you fight.

It's one giant boring fucking camp site with orcs and some human slaves. Maybe if they put the game in different environments as you progress through the game it wouldn't feel so repetitive.

I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm 40 years old now, have less patience and expect more when I pay so much for a game system and over $60 per game.
View Quote

Which is why, for the most part it is pointless to buy in to the next gen consoles until 2015 when the good games are released. (mostly in the latter half of the year)
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
that's sad. I can't imagine what it must be like, being unable to enjoy anything.

I've been loving what I call the gamer's renaissance - the last 10 years have been nothing but awesome developments for gamers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The first flock of games for any new console are always kind of hit or miss... plus we are not yet into the big holiday push. Wait until around late November when everyone starts releasing their 4th quarter AAA titles.

I'm in kind of the same boat as you. I bought an Xbox One for Forza Horizon 2... and while H2 is great everything else I bought (Destiny, Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, MGS: Ground Up Shit I mean Zeroes) have all been very lackluster and blahze to me. I always wind up going back to my PC. I got Alien Isolation on launch day and so far it is fucking nerve wracking.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The solution to your boredom with sameness in a game is called Darksouls 2.   The moment you are bored, you will be stabbed in the face.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I still have my 360 and PS3. I might buy an Xbox One next year. Although I am pretty excited about Assassin's creed Unity.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I feel the same way OP, though I only have an Xbone until the new Uncharted game comes out.  I've got the new COD, BF4, Titan Fall and Forza and I am completely unimpressed with all of them.  The only games I'm even remotely interested in in the future are the new Tomb Raider and The Division.  Everything else that I've seen looks like it's been done before.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#9]
You might be getting too old for this.  Though I too thought that Destiny and Watch Dogs were both underwhelming.

Also, Wolfenstein.  You should try that out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might be getting too old for this.  Though I too thought that Destiny and Watch Dogs were both underwhelming.

View Quote

Oh my god, Wolfenstein. SO FUCKING GOOD.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
that's sad. I can't imagine what it must be like, being unable to enjoy anything.

I've been loving what I call the gamer's renaissance - the last 10 years have been nothing but awesome developments for gamers.
View Quote

So many great games and so many more to come.  Project CARS, AC Unity, GTA V, Witcher 3, Evil Within, new Silent Hill, Division, Rainbow Six: Siege, Dying Light, Bloodborne, Star Wars: Battlefront, Dead Island 2, Battlefield Hardline.....etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love the old one. Is the new one any good?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's exactly what Assassins Creed was like when it came out. Pretty repetative, but it became a hit. I'm willing to bet that's going to happen to Shadows of Mordor.

As I too am getting older, a strange thing is happening; I'm starting to enjoy the silly kid's games more and more, versus the more mature games. Have you tried any of the Lego games? Those are hilarious and fun. Little Big Planet was fun as well. My girl and I also really enjoy the Wii U. We play the newest Mario often together. I'm also pumped for the new Smash Bros.

Here are some that I would suggest you try if you haven't already, all PS4:

The Last of Us Remastered
Alien Isolation (just came out)
The Walking Dead Season One (comes out next week)
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh, yes. yes yes yes. You absolutely must play it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Speaking as someone who is playing Alien Isolation right now, I have to be honest that this game is not for everybody.

It is a very meticulous, slow and deliberate game. My wife summed it up the best, it is a total chickenshit game. A game for kids who always wanted to play hide and seek and never wanted to be "it".

There is no run and gun, there is no stand and fight and there certainly fucking is no blowing through a level. I'm early on in the game and have just now come into contact with mister xenomorph. He is a fucking nerve wracking bastard. When you hear him coming you hide. When you think he has left, you check five times before venturing out, and you save your game every time you pass a save station like clockwork.

The game basically plays like this:

You see a door. You walk through the door slowly. You scan the room for anything you can use or mission objectives. Wait. What was that noise? That sounds like something in the hallway. Quick, get into the room letting the door close behind you. Shit there are no lockers in this room. Shit shit shit shit shit the noise is getting closer. Find somewhere to hide. Crouch behind that table and wait. Shit the door just opened. Shit that is the fucking alien I can hear it hissing / breathing. Shit shit shit it is walking around in the room. Don't look at it don't look at it don't look at it don't look at it. OK it sounds like it just crawled up into a vent. OK I hear it crawling down the vent away from me. Slooooooooowly peek out to see if it is still in the room. Nope, not in the room anymore. Come out from behind the table and check the room again. Nothing here, move on to the next room.

Also from what I have read the game is long... like, painfully laboriously long. And from the look of it the vast majority of that time is spent hiding and crawling around peeking around corners.

If you adore the movie Alien (the first one, NOT Aliens the second one) and your blood pressure can take a metric ton of strain then Alien Isolation is a great game.

If you are not a fanboy or a chickenshit and you want your game enemies to be waves of disposable, forgettable drones you plow through guns a blazin'... stay far away.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess I'll have to break down and get it.. Bye Bye ammo money
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Console peasants.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*steeples fingers*

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I too bought into the ps4 hype then I bought a PC.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Speaking as someone who is playing Alien Isolation right now, I have to be honest that this game is not for everybody.

It is a very meticulous, slow and deliberate game. My wife summed it up the best, it is a total chickenshit game. A game for kids who always wanted to play hide and seek and never wanted to be "it".

There is no run and gun, there is no stand and fight and there certainly fucking is no blowing through a level. I'm early on in the game and have just now come into contact with mister xenomorph. He is a fucking nerve wracking bastard. When you hear him coming you hide. When you think he has left, you check five times before venturing out, and you save your game every time you pass a save station like clockwork.

The game basically plays like this:

You see a door. You walk through the door slowly. You scan the room for anything you can use or mission objectives. Wait. What was that noise? That sounds like something in the hallway. Quick, get into the room letting the door close behind you. Shit there are no lockers in this room. Shit shit shit shit shit the noise is getting closer. Find somewhere to hide. Crouch behind that table and wait. Shit the door just opened. Shit that is the fucking alien I can hear it hissing / breathing. Shit shit shit it is walking around in the room. Don't look at it don't look at it don't look at it don't look at it. OK it sounds like it just crawled up into a vent. OK I hear it crawling down the vent away from me. Slooooooooowly peek out to see if it is still in the room. Nope, not in the room anymore. Come out from behind the table and check the room again. Nothing here, move on to the next room.

Also from what I have read the game is long... like, painfully laboriously long. And from the look of it the vast majority of that time is spent hiding and crawling around peeking around corners.

If you adore the movie Alien (the first one, NOT Aliens the second one) and your blood pressure can take a metric ton of strain then Alien Isolation is a great game.

If you are not a fanboy or a chickenshit and you want your game enemies to be waves of disposable, forgettable drones you plow through guns a blazin'... stay far away.
View Quote

The review I read said it took them 20+ hours, but admitted it could probably be done faster.

I took it off my wishlist mostly for that reason. I felt I'd get tired of that dynamic long before the game ended.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The review I read said it took them 20+ hours, but admitted it could probably be done faster.

I took it off my wishlist mostly for that reason. I felt I'd get tired of that dynamic long before the game ended.

View Quote

I think the reviews are very spot on about the game, good and bad. I think the Kotaku review in particular hits all the right aspects of the game.

It is an exhausting game, even when played in short spurts. It is the first game in a long time that I feel drained after playing and I cannot fathom playing this thing for the long haul if it is indeed 20 hours long unless I space it out over a month or more. I feel like I am moving at a pretty good clip for me, but the story is slowly developing which makes me think this is definitely a 12+ hour game.

I should also say that I am a slow game player... I am a notorious corner checking human turtle when playing games, which is why I detest twitch shooters and online FPS games. I like to play games methodically, so Isolation is right up my alley... but the stress this game causes is kind of obnoxious. It really ratchets up the tension through musical cues, sounds and lighting and keeps it high for large periods... and there are a few jump scares early on that are complete and total "fuck you you cheap ass fucking game" stuff.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought Mordor because I like to play all things related to LOTR but then haven't played it yet.  Not sure I want to do the repetitive thing, which is what it appears to be in online vids.  Neat system, but not enough variety or landscapes.

I probably will try Destiny for the PC when that is available.

I've been going back to play older games once again.   Working on Space Rangers 2 and Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour.  Kinda fun games I haven't played in a while.  

Also checking out Game Ranger, seems the idea is to let you play online the old games that aren't supported anymore.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought Assassin's Creed Black Flag was worth it
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
welcome to the master race

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1000.  My favorite shooter of the year.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I still have my 360 and PS3. I might buy an Xbox One next year. Although I am pretty excited about Assassin's creed Unity.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/c3/c347767da11bbda6b04afba5908bfc785c65d1d60a011a4c038b2c2ce5fa8a15.jpg

Come, come.  No need to be nasty about it.  

Facebook machine =/= PC gaming master race.  We have higher standards than that.    

Those people are quite possibly even lower than the unwashed console peasants.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I loved this game and still pop it in from time to time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.  Sea battles ftw
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm still enjoying BF4 on xbox one. I like making my own challenges like using c4 as my only weapon, or playing the objectives but with pistol only, or smaw only etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#32]
IMO the problem is that the new systems (PS4, XBone) were released a year too soon. There's nothing in the pipeline exclusive to the new hardware unlike previous generations of hardware. Previously there was always a clear cutover point, and now there's nothing but "for the PS4, but also for the PS3 and XBox1 and Xbox 360"

Everything coming out is hampered by support for the older systems, and suck as a result of it
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:50:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/c3/c347767da11bbda6b04afba5908bfc785c65d1d60a011a4c038b2c2ce5fa8a15.jpg

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Me too.  Sea battles ftw
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.  Sea battles ftw

i liked it but the DLC would crash on me when i board the one slave ship in the storyline mission :/
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I kind of agree. It is easier for a small studio to make a game these days (although most of them are garbage 2D pieces of crap). And Steam/Amazon sales. The big issue is "free to play" games. It is ruining many games, even ones that are histrionically SP series. They all suck and end up costing more than a regular game.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Alien Isolation is pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your mom plays The Sims! How about that?!

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Alien Isolation is pretty good.
View Quote

Based on your altar, it seems like you would be required to love all games in the series.  Except the gearbox one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
For the same reason, I've been playing everything from NES up to Wii (nintendo wise), and Sega Saturn and Dreamcast.  PS1 games in my PS3.  I haven't bought a new game (new as in released new) in over a year.  If you have as many systems as I have (most of them, minus microsoft), you'll never run out of good titles that you missed.  I'm just now getting into Neo Geo games, played them when I was a kid at arcades, but having a blast playing them on Neo Geo CD and the Wii SNK Classics Vol 1.
View Quote

ps1 bushido blade, one of the best games ever made on any platform.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the same reason, I've been playing everything from NES up to Wii (nintendo wise), and Sega Saturn and Dreamcast.  PS1 games in my PS3.  I haven't bought a new game (new as in released new) in over a year.  If you have as many systems as I have (most of them, minus microsoft), you'll never run out of good titles that you missed.  I'm just now getting into Neo Geo games, played them when I was a kid at arcades, but having a blast playing them on Neo Geo CD and the Wii SNK Classics Vol 1.

I was the king of bushido blade one of my favorite fighting games of all time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#45]
You are playing on a console what did you expect.

Get a good PC man, the games are 1/8th the price and they are actually original and fun. Some of the best games I have played on PC were completely free.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:25:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Last console I owned was a PS1. Bought a PC and haven't looked back since.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Arma 3 playing King Of The Hill is always fun and exciting.

The only thing that sucks is when you get that rare occurrence when a fellow teammate keeps killing your helicopters your just bought because you didn't let him hitch a ride on your 2 seater Pawnee attack helicopter. Then you get on the servers TeamSpeak and have an admin ban him.

And when the other team(s) have 2 gun ships and several jets killing everything in the AO.

But KOTH is a fun and unique.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/SYskZXz.jpg
View Quote

What's with the gay men in spandex?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're looking for a good tailor so they have something other than their long johns to wear?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They're looking for a good tailor so they have something other than their long johns to wear?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think those are long johns... i think it's just sparkly silver paint
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top