Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 63
Posted: 3/31/2009 9:58:11 AM EDT
There's enough of us Arfcommers committing to this workout now that we need a thread for it's participants.

I'm on week two now, just finished my second Plyometrics work out, and I feel incredible.  I'm dieting properly, working out religiously, and bringing it very intensely when the DVD is playing through.   First week was a total bitch and I could hardly walk.  Week two is WAY better as I've found a groove.

I'm doing this, and I'm looking forward to reading your story too.  I'll end my 90 adventure with the before and after photos.  If you're doing P90X, let's hear from you.  You need a couple screws loose and crazy motivation to see this through - so I look forward to the chatter.

Cheers!

H
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never gone through the entire program thing but that's not why I bought it.

I'm already in very good shape and exercise 4-5 times a week. I was however very impressed with the variety so bought it for that purpose and perform one of the workouts when I want to mix things up from marathon/triathlon and weight training. My favorite workouts are the Core Synergistics, Ab Ripper X and Back and Biceps. I'd highly recommend the program to anyone wanting to start working out simply looking to change up their workout a bit.Got my ex-girlfriend into using it and she looks freaking awesome! She dropped like 15 lbs and is ripped!
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice,

Yeah my wife and I are doing this together - seperate work out times cause we have kids, but we're both on board.  Our motivations are different...she's doing it for the bikini and I'm doing it for the conditioning!  As far as I'm concerned, we both win!
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Started it twice, failed at week six both times. One day my right shoulder just said 'no more.' Eventually had surgery but never recaptured the groove. The injury was NOT p90X induced!

Despite my personal failures, p90X is the best workout experience I've ever had. I loved it! It is intense! I will probably start again this summer.

Forewarned! Mark out the time on your schedule. I would estimate 1:30 hours per day. If you can't notch that out, you are much more likely to fail! That was my experience, anyway. YMMV

For those doing p90X now........BRING IT!
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, 1.5 hours is typical when you include Ab Ripper X plus any extra stretching you do.  I like tossing in a few arm exercises on the non-ab rippin' days just cause I like torturing myself.

The injury thing can NOT be ignored.  I don't want to hurt myself or my bad right knee - I really feel the pain creep up during the 2nd half of Plyometrics...to avoid it I hold my knee and/or tweak the exercise to get an angle that doesn't hurt.  It's not worth the damage you can do.

Link Posted: 4/1/2009 1:25:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Got the DVDs, just need to get the equipment together now.

Tried Plyo-X today since I dont need much more than my legs (which I just about lost).
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 2:14:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Got the DVDs, just need to get the equipment together now.

Tried Plyo-X today since I dont need much more than my legs (which I just about lost).

On equipment....I have the perfect push up thiniges....the perfect pullup and own powerblocks. The powerblocks are going to outside of many peoples price range but the other two are must have's IMO. Have fun!
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 3:29:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm on week five. Couldn't keep the nutrition aligned but I'm getting stronger overall and some nice looking arms and back.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#8]
You know.....I am seriously considering starting the entire program next week and do the entire thing just to see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Yesterday I yanked my back out with 15 minutes left in the shoulders n' arms workout - I'm pissed.  Lower back just below the rib cage.

Tip of the day: Lift those dumbells with by bending your knees!  Don't lean over!  Always use good form!  I knew better too - I just lost my form and now am paying the price!  This will set me back a day or two unfortunately.....grrrr.

I'll be jumping on the eliptical and weigh machine today to get the heartrate moving and burn isolate some shoulder/arm muscles to keep pace with the program.  I aim to get back on track tonight or tomorrow.  I'm stretching in between and will tough out the diet.

Don't forget the diet guys - it SUCKS but you can do it for 90 days.  After that you can modify to fit your lifestyle.  But they go hand in hand!

<-protein shake

ETA: 1:15pm EST - still hurtin'.....gonna have to find someway to break a sweat and hopefully get this program in today.  If not, I'll have to do something isolated...maybe one more round of arms and shoulders if I can find a position that doesn't stress my middle back.
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I am looking at starting this program in the next couple weeks.  I am adding a power tower to my basement and the videos should be available to me soon.  I do have a question though.  Can someone explain their setup which allows following along with a video and utilizing their equipment?  Where I plan on putting the power tower there is no TV and I need to figure out how to arrange things.
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#11]
The pull ups are 1/3 of the exercises in the chest/back dvd...so long as you can get to it and crank out your reps it won't matter where you place it.  I have a power tower as well and my pull ups orient me away from the TV.  Doesn't matter though when you're doing pull ups....as you'll likely have veins popping out of your forehead and grunting trying to pull your ass up to the top!

Having a 10X10 or 5X10 (minimum) open spot in front of the TV is important.  You can put the equipment (dumbells, bands, mat, chair, etc) on the outskirts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Just started it today. Ab ripper damn near killed me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just started it today. Ab ripper damn near killed me.

Wait till tomorrow!
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm going to start another round as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#15]
My yanked back is just about where I need it to be to get going again....though I may give myself one more day to completely be over it so I can go full tilt again...only this time with more self awareness about the stupid details that'll take you out of the game!  

Sad when you get hurt reaching for the damn dumbell!!!!

Link Posted: 4/2/2009 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#16]
This might sound sad but what if you can't currently do a pull-up? What alternative can I do until I'm stong enough/ not so fat? When I went to the gym I normally used the machines that would help counter balance you at first.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This might sound sad but what if you can't currently do a pull-up? What alternative can I do until I'm stong enough/ not so fat? When I went to the gym I normally used the machines that would help counter balance you at first.

Use a chair and put one leg on it. Move the chair back a little at a time to make it harder until you don't need the chair anymore.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You can have someone spot you by holding your legs so you can push off them for extra assistance.  

A better method my wife uses is to place bands across our power rack and she does pull-ups standing on the bands.  We use 26" mountain bike inner tubes.  She currently uses two tubes pulled accross the weight supports set at hip level.  This gives her enough assistance to do 8-10 pull-ups.

ETA:  My wife only weighs 118 lbs so depending on how much you weigh you may need more bands...
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Any of those two methods will work.  Struggle, struggle, and struggle some more.  You'll get there.  Gotta build up that muscle.  You can do it.  I only did 5 my first week.  I'm up to 8 now.  You WILL improve.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Sweet thanks. I plan to order the DVD's at pay day. Are a dumbbell set better than resistance bands or is it more personal preference? I saw the DVD set at amazon for 141$ and they suggested a pull up bar and the bands for a total 181$ I have a single 20lb that I use now for general workout's.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I have the pull up bar and bands, don't really care for the Bands and just ordered a set of Power Blocks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the dumbells myself...tried the bands but I find myself always dubbin' around with them to get the right amount of resistance.  Others may find them easier, ymmv.  The catch with the dumbells is you need a few different weights....

I have 2lbs, 5, 15, and 30's.  I'll eventually get 40's and 50's.  Frankly there's a couple exercises where I wish I had 20's...but....lol....that's only because I'm sweatin' my balls off ... so maybe it's better I don't!

Liftin' ain't supposed to be easy!  lol....
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I liked the p90x workout program alot. It isn't quite my style so I am doing something different now, but I was very impressed with the results from a program that is so much calisthenics. If you follow the diet to a T, then you will get in very good shape. The only weakpoints I found in the workout were the lack of exercises targeting the lower back and hamstrings, everything else gets hammered. If I were to do it again I would supplement the leg days with some stiff leg deadlifts(correct form or you'll regret it) and maybe some leg curls of some sort.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have the pull up bar and bands, don't really care for the Bands and just ordered a set of Power Blocks.

Those freakin things rock. Bought mine several years ago and have the full 130lb set. Worth every penny in my book.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#25]
tag for future
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those freakin things rock. Bought mine several years ago and have the full 130lb set. Worth every penny in my book.

Nice the sport set would be perfect and not too harsh on the wallet.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Week 2!!!!

Started all over again after I yanked my back out last week.  Nowhere near as sore as I was the first week, though I can always tell what muscle group I worked the day before.

Hope yall are keeping it up.  I'm paying special attention to the dieting now....might as well do it all.  If you're gonna be a bear, might as well be a grizzly.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn you ab-ripperX.....damn you.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm wondering if this system would be good for someone who is seriously overweight (me) ?
it's been a few years since i've hit the gym. Also my current job doesn't require much activity.
When I worked for a moving company and hit the weights a few times a week I had no problems,
But I'm still eating like I did then and not doing much. The pounds are packing on and I need to
lose like 70-80 lbs. Should I try dropping some weight before trying this?
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Keep up the good work! One of my faves!
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#31]
If you can keep good form and not worry about the reps or resistance weight you could be okay.  It does require a great deal of extreme movement...so weak knees (my biggest problem) can be a handicap.  I'd imagine lugging another 80 lbs would be a great challenge but not impossible.  If you stick to the diet you'd likely drop weight like crazy.... I'm certainly no trainer by ANY means but you may want to look into some cardio programs first and match that up with some rigorous dieting.  Perhaps a gym program where you attend classes on a schedule?  

The biggest thing about P90X is that it assumes you can hang with the work outs.  They have a "fit test" at the beginning that can be used to see how you stack up and whether your body is able to handle the stress.  You can of course get there, but my hunch is you may want to be 110% sure you can do the basics before you pay the money for the DVD set and equipment.  More importantly, you don't want to injure yourself.

I'm pulled my back out in the second week because my form was bad and I picked up a dumbell the wrong way .  I'm better now but I have to favor my right knee.  It's all about knowing your physical limitations and not letting your ego get in the way.

Your call bro, but I commend you on having the interest to gitrdone.  Two weeks in and I feel better than I have in a long time.  I don't look any different, but man it feels good to NOT have all that shit in my body.  Eating right is SOOOOoooooo important.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep up the good work! One of my faves!

I just found myself improving on the # of reps I can do....NICE!  Still a ways from 25 per exercise though!
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm wondering if this system would be good for someone who is seriously overweight (me) ?
it's been a few years since i've hit the gym. Also my current job doesn't require much activity.
When I worked for a moving company and hit the weights a few times a week I had no problems,
But I'm still eating like I did then and not doing much. The pounds are packing on and I need to
lose like 70-80 lbs. Should I try dropping some weight before trying this?

P90X might be a little much for you to start with.  I would recommend starting to eat healthy right now.  Stop eating junk like soda, candy, donuts, anything that is fried, anything you can buy in a vending machine and all the other crap that your body doesn't need or want.  I would start with power 90.  It's a workout from the same people as p90x but not as intense, it will get your body ready for p90x.  

ETA:  I forgot to mention that p90X has a fitness test.  P90X fitness test PDF..  Do this to see if you are P90X ready.

Nic4433

Link Posted: 4/13/2009 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the info in here.  Got the power tower set up last night.

Starting Day 1 today.

The thing that concerns me most is the diet and nutrition recommendations.  I don't know how best to get on track with that or understand how important it is in the scheme of things.  Following a strict plan like this is not how I have made it through life previously.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#35]
If you want the lean look and/or weight loss, it's the only way.  Depends what you want out of the program.

I'm following the diet plan at about 70%.  I still like a Friday afternoon beer, maybe two.  I also enjoy steak night.  

Still, remember that P90X is an overhaul program....you can always adjust your lifestyle once it's all over.  For 3 months, you either committ full on or choose something in between - your choice, obviously.

But the program is there to take you as far as you want to go.
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#36]
I am on week 3 of the Power 90. I'm starting to show results. Was hoping to slim down but I'm actually getting bigger. Where is info on the diet?
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#37]
If you bought it from Beachbody then it came with the package.  If not, I don't know....but you are a direct product of what you place in your mouth.

ETA: I'm on week 3 myself.  Keep it up!
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I found this meal plan online.

http://www.healthandfatloss.com/eb/90/b1/n1/P90X_Phase-1_Fat_Shredder.PDF
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Legs n' Back tonight.  Suffered through Yoga yesterday....still haven't found my groove with the Yoga yet, but I'm there...twisting, bending, and groaning in agony.

I can see it's usefulness though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#40]
I am on my "rest" week, but core synergystics was not a rest for me.  Don't do what i did this week and actually use it as a total rest period.  Through phase 1 of the program i have lost some weight, increased strength, and definaltey lost inches.  I have already moved 2 holes in my belt.  I plan on adding an extra week or 2 on phase 2 since i got lazy this week.  

I have not followed the diet at all and am still showing some results, just probably not as much as I could have.  All i am doing is limiting my normal intake and trying to cook a few healthy meals a week.  But, i do treat myself to my burritos and tacos 2x a week.  

My gf and I are doing this program together and it helps out a lot.  If one of us isn't feeling it, we will push each other to go ahead and do it.  We really struggle with the yoga, and have subsituted Cardio X in place or use that night as "date night".  

I am 6'4, was at 254.  Before I actually started I was at about 247 and now im down to lowest at 236, but average about 238.  I feel better, the exercises are getting easier, but i can no where get close to keeping up with them.  

And anybody who says it doesn't work you, you arent pushing yourself.  My buddy came over to check it out and he usually runs 3-4 miles on a treadill a day and lifts weights.  He did 20 minutes of plyometrics and i thought i was going to have to take him to the hospital.  He went home that night and ordered the entire program.

Also, for those of you who cant do a pullup.  I finished phase 1, and can barely do 1 from a dead hang.  But can really tell with a chair supporting me that im getting stronger.  I have the p90x pullup bar and it supports me just fine on the door frame.  Any questions ill try to answer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Nice stuff TechRaider, stay the course!

I'll tell ya....as much as I push myself each night - I am NEVER more sore and beat up than the day after Yoga.

I hate yoga....but I love it.

It's so unnatural for me, but it definately works your body in ways normal exercising doesn't.  Can't explain it.

But YES.... if you do this program correctly, there is no concievable way you can escape without a strong burn.  No way.

I love P90X.  My first two weeks were a wash even though I've been on this for 3-4 weeks now, I consider myself finishing week 2 now since I'm following the program to the exact detail.  The diet is still the hardest, but dammit I'm trying.  I don't pull from the P90X menu, but I am very VERY concious about what I put in my mouth.  I started at 195lbs...I'm at 190 right now and with a waist of 34"...I'm one notch tighter on the belt.  

I've also found that I'm progressively getting better at Ab Ripper.  Suprised myself last night when I could actually do 20 out of 25 reps on most exercises.  There are still a few that destroy me where I can only do 5-10 with good form.

As for pull ups...my f'in ceiling is too low for me to use the $150 power tower I bought.....so I'm using my weight machine to do lat pull downs to mirror pull ups.  It's working....it's like using bands in a way.  So long as the motion is there.

Link Posted: 4/17/2009 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#42]
ugg.....update...

It's 11:36am.....lunch time.  I just finished eating a single protien bar for my meal and putting down some water....

Needless to say my appetite is through the roof.  The guy down the hall from me has what smells to be a bacon cheeseburger, fries, ketchup....and <sniff> some mozzerella sticks.

I'm about to cave and go get myself some f'in greasey fat laden cheesey goodness.......

My GOD eating right is tough.

I'll hang tough....might have to walk out of the building for the day though...lol

Link Posted: 4/17/2009 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Dude nooooooooooooooooo  dont do it be strong lol
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#44]
lol...I'm good.  I survived.  Left the building and devoured an apple.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#45]
lol, i just had some chipotle pork tacos (homemade) with refried beans.  Im starting to figure that im working out so that i can eat whatever i want and not gain weight lol.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Custom tailored work outs aren't a bad thing!  Depends what you want!....and apparantly how bad you want it!

Mmm....pork tacos.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:31:51 AM EDT
[#47]
I push play tomorrow.

I got the gear and the food, got rid of the crap.

Waking up early tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Good luck!  Remember to pace yourself and listen to your body.  Injuries WILL take you out of the game.  Don't let that happen.  I have to cater to a bum right knee that keeps me from going 90 degrees on most exercises.  I do what I can and never miss a workout - but I'm exceptionally careful and aware on every lunge, etc.

Go get em!
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#49]
I am looking into starting this program.  How many days a week are you supposed to do this?  I usually run about 3-4 miles 4 days a week, but my joints are starting to remind me that I'm not 18 anymore.  I'm 35 and in pretty good shape.  How hard are these exercises on your joints?  Is there anything I should know before I start?
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#50]
6 days of working out, one day or stretch/rest.

The program is set up so you shouldnt do any other exercise durring the week, it actually will slow your results.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 63
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top