Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2005 7:01:50 PM EDT
OK, I've got astigmatism with no near or far sightedness.

I'm going to have it done on Thursday morning, I'll keep ya'll posted on the results.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Good timing. I am thinking about Lasik.
Good Luck
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I had my new house measered for carpet last week.

The lady who is helping me couldn't read the measuring tape three feet  away.

She said it was five days after her second surgery, and she wasn't happy.

Its the one in a thousand like this that keep me from having it done.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:34:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How bad is your astigmatism?  I have it also, but I refuse to wear glasses.  Not bad enough to require Lasik, though.

vision now is 20/70. My Rx is.....

Right Sphere (O.D.): PL
Right Cylinder (O.D.): -1.75
Right Axis (O.D.): 090
Left Sphere (O.S.): +0.25
Left Cylinder (O.S.): -1.75
Left Axis (O.S.): 095
Pupil Distance: 61/58

My appointment today is at 1:30
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:35:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I had my new house measered for carpet last week.

The lady who is helping me couldn't read the measuring tape three feet  away.

She said it was five days after her second surgery, and she wasn't happy.

Its the one in a thousand like this that keep me from having it done.

It's my understanding that LASIK is primarily a "distance" vision enhancement.  It's not much benefit for up close focusing... IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:41:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I had  20/400 vision w/ major astigmatist in both eyes.  After LASIK I'm good ol 20/20 again.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Same here.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I had the LASIK Thursday at 1:30, it's now been about 80 hours since....
My left eye is "OK", but things are still a little blurry, not nearly as clear as what I could see with my glasses before.

My right eye has an obvious "ghost" at everything I look at, above and just to the right of everything.  When I look at cars at night the head lights look 7' tall, look like they are taller than the roof of the car.  Something is definately not correct with my right eye.  I squint really bad at the computer, this is no where nearly as clear as things were with my glasses before.

I'm going to call the office in the morning and get some advice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well I had the LASIK Thursday at 1:30, it's now been about 80 hours since....
My left eye is "OK", but things are still a little blurry, not nearly as clear as what I could see with my glasses before.

My right eye has an obvious "ghost" at everything I look at, above and just to the right of everything.  When I look at cars at night the head lights look 7' tall, look like they are taller than the roof of the car.  Something is definately not correct with my right eye.  I squint really bad at the computer, this is no where nearly as clear as things were with my glasses before.

I'm going to call the office in the morning and get some advice.

Did you have a day after appointment?

Everyone I know including myself were fine the next day.  My vision was blurry but that might have been because the plastic things over my eyes the day of the surgery and that night.  I drove myself to the LASIK doc the next morning with no problems.  The halos and starbursts do suck but decrease dramatically.  I was kinda scared to drive after the sun went down.  Be sure and blink alot and take the cocktails of eye drops.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#10]

vision now is 20/70

And they'll do the surgery?  All of the people I know that had it done had vision that was 20/500 or worse.  I wouldn't bother if my vision was as good as yours.  Mine is about 20/2500 so while I'd really like to have it done, the 100% chance  I'll have horrible problems keeps me from doing it.  Some people, like a couple of the guys I work with, don't mind losing the ability to drive at night in exchange for not having to wear glasses.z
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I had a day after appointment, they checked and said I had 20/20, but I'm going to visit another I-doc to to verify.  While driving at night I've noticed that I've got double vision in both eyes.  The Left has a ghost image to the right side and down slightly, the Right eye had a ghost above and to the right.

I am not happy with the results.  I had over $800 in Rx eyewear before, and now I'm still going to have to use it to see clearly, but I gotta spend more $$$ on it to get a new Rx, or the LASIK can followup with a 2nd burn to fix it.  They had to re-do one of my Brother's eye's when he had it done.

Right now, I regret it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#12]
txgp17,

Sorry to about your experience.  I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

I've been tempted to get Lasix or PRK done but currently I feel more comfortable sticking with glasses or contacts.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I dont want to be that 1 in a 1000 either, I'll stick with contacts/glasses
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Any updates?

I still got double vision in my right eye.  I went Monday for a follow up and they said I should be patient and keep using all the eye drops they gave me.

I've got another appointment for the 31st.

A fireman buddy of mine said his eyes were the same after the fact, but it all cleared up in a few months.  I'll be patient and see.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any updates?

I still got double vision in my right eye.  I went Monday for a follow up and they said I should be patient and keep using all the eye drops they gave me.

I've got another appointment for the 31st.

A fireman buddy of mine said his eyes were the same after the fact, but it all cleared up in a few months.  I'll be patient and see.

When you say double vision do you mean like starbursts and halos?

How is it compared to night vision and day light?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

No halos, when I something with my right eye, there is another "ghost" of that object just above it.  At night, it looks like cars have extra headlights on their roofs.

Night vision is OK, seems like I squint more than I used to, but I still see OK in the dark, as far as I can tell.  I rekon I'll really know how true that is when hunting season gets here.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No halos, when I something with my right eye, there is another "ghost" of that object just above it.  At night, it looks like cars have extra headlights on their roofs.

Night vision is OK, seems like I squint more than I used to, but I still see OK in the dark, as far as I can tell.  I rekon I'll really know how true that is when hunting season gets here.

My day light vision is great.  But at night I do see halos(kind of rings) around bright lights.  The starbursts are like lines of light that run off from bright lights.  Gets much better as time goes by.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#19]
What proceedure did you have done?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yeah, I had a day after appointment, they checked and said I had 20/20, but I'm going to visit another I-doc to to verify.  While driving at night I've noticed that I've got double vision in both eyes.  The Left has a ghost image to the right side and down slightly, the Right eye had a ghost above and to the right.

I am not happy with the results.  I had over $800 in Rx eyewear before, and now I'm still going to have to use it to see clearly, but I gotta spend more $$$ on it to get a new Rx, or the LASIK can followup with a 2nd burn to fix it.  They had to re-do one of my Brother's eye's when he had it done.

Right now, I regret it.

Hang in there.  I had a rough couple of weeks or so following my LASIK (had it done in December).  Night vision was pretty bad (halos, ghosting, etc.), but my biggest problem was that I'd wake up with cloudy vision in one or both eyes.  Turns out, in my case, this was due to my eyes drying out at night (if my wife has to choose between sleeping without a fan in the room or having a blind husband, well, she'll buy me a seeing-eye dog).

This puzzled me somewhat, and still does... dry eyes are common after LASIK, since the nerves that detect when the surface of the cornea is dry get severed, and it takes a while for them to reconnect (which hopefully they eventually do).  But in my case, I felt fine during the day... eyes were not dry at all.  But for some reason, it was an issue at night.  Anyway, I started using an eye ointment at night, and I've been fine ever since.

I hope to soon be free of having to use that stuff at all, but for now it's a minor inconvenience.

And aside from the dry-eye-in-the-morning issue, I think my vision overall has improved noticeably in the 9 months since I had the surgery.  The artifacts at night seem all but gone now.  In those first few weeks, I was starting to feel disheartened too, but I'm totally pleased now.  No regrets.

As a side note... the most stressful part of the surgery (for me, at least) was how the doc didn't put the numbing drops in my eyes until RIGHT before he sliced the flap.  I dunno... for some reason, I thought this was something that they would do like 15 minutes before, to let it soak in and work for a while.  I was in a bit of a panic, and finally had to speak up when it was my turn to have the procedure done (I thought they had just forgotten to numb my eyes!).  Turns out I wasn't the only one with this concern... as I was sitting in the post-op room, I heard the girl who went in after me ask the same question.  The tech joked with her... "oh, you got the $699 special, which doesn't include numbing drops."

--Mike
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What proceedure did you have done?

Custom LASIK to correct astigmatism.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#23]
tag... I'm thinking about having this done...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I had Lasik about a year and a half ago.  If I had to do it all over again I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  My eyes were pretty bad, and the procedure cost me $3600.  Best investment ever.  I was terribly near-sighted with astigmatism in both eyes.  Immediately after the surgery they took me back into the office and checked my vision.  I was already seeing about 20/25.  The very next morning I was seeing crystal clear 20/15.  My night vision is excellent, no halos or anything.  My eyes are slightly more light sensitive over all since the surgery, but only slightly.  After being dependent on corrective lenses for almost 20 years, it is like a miracle.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Followup: I still have double vision in my right eye.  Doctor basically doesn't give a shit, just tells me to come back in two months.

If you want Lasik, do not go to Shapiro Eye in Greensboro, NC.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Man, hope this works out for you.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Followup: I still have double vision in my right eye.  Doctor basically doesn't give a shit, just tells me to come back in two months.

If you want Lasik, do not go to Shapiro Eye in Greensboro, NC.

What I hear about Lasik is 999 happy stories and then a story like yours.  Scares the shit out of me to think about getting Lasik.  Hope it your eyesight gets better.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Still got the double vision thing at night....  Also, I've developed "trailers" that stream from all bright things at night in right eye.  The stream only travels down and slightly to the left, but it goes away if I squint.

IMHO, don't get LASIK.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Sorry to hear about your troubles.  Have you consulted with a different eye doctor yet?

I know the risks are "relatively" low for LASIK, but given that contacts work well enough for me, I have no burning urge to cut out bits of my eyeball.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#31]

Still got the double vision thing at night....

Everyone I know personally that has had that procedure has had that problem and most have had other more serious problems.  I've had two employees that I had to let go because they could no longer drive in the dark after LASIK.  The strange thing is everyone I know that's had it done says they'd do it again despite the major problems.  I guess I just don't hate glasses enough to permanently mess-up my vision like that.z
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:41:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Tag. Been looking into it myself.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#33]
My lasik has been great for four years now, some SLIGHT halos at night in my right eye, and that's it.  Tons better than I was before.

Sorry that you got a bad doc, good luck.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Still got double vision in the right eye.
Went fishing about 25 miles out to sea last week.  When I got back I couldn't see shit out of it.  I'm calling tomorrow for a followup appointment.  Right now, I wish I had my old eyes back.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry to hear that.

I am going into get mine done on the 13th of this month.  They do PRK and Lasik depending on how much correction you need.  Price includes ($2000 an eye) initial exam and 2 years of follow up and adjustments if necessary, basically a warranty program.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I had mine done in March 2005 and now have 20/20 in both eyes.  The next day everything was crystal clear and my night vision was no problem within a month after the surgery.  Sorry your results aren't like mine, but maybe after time things will improve.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#37]
I am so glad I tagged this thread.

Thanks for the warning.  I was seriously considering having lasik done.  I think I'll just stick with the glasses.

Hope everything works out man.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#38]
How is it holding up?  I was looking into it too for a while but I asked the optometrist last time I went in for glasses and found out it was a no-go for both PRK and LASIK.

I did find out though that I am eligible for PIOL (Phakic Intraocular Lens) surgery.  Basically it's the same thing they have been doing to treat cataracts where they implant a contact lens underneath your cornea.  The main difference is that they do not remove your natural crystalline lense so the eye remains essentially unchanged, minus the small incision used to insert the lens (which eventually heals)

Upside is that the surgery is reversible and the eye remains essentially unchanged, and it can be used in people with horrible vision (up to +20 diopters I believe), the downside is that it is relativley new in this application so there isn't a lot of long-term information.  Also, I don't think it is waiverable for military service.

Anyway, looks pretty promising to me, just thought I would throw it out there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Sorry to hear about your double vision.

I had lasik done about 6 years ago, right when it was getting standardized in the US.

Mine went great.  Procedure took about 5 minutes each eye.

Took me from 20/800 (Coke bottle glasses I have had since first grade), to now I can qualify for a drivers license without glasses.  still not perfect vision 20/30 and 20/40 in my eyes.  However, I huge improvment for me.  I still use glasses alittle when its dark or such.

Hope your eyes get better.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I had PRK done on both eyes last friday.  So far, so good.  Its still a little blurry, espically my left eye, which was worse before.  I go back tommorow morning, and I'll see what my vision is then.  I also get the contacts they put in as bandages out tommorow.  Went to a hockey game last night, kinda the frist "practical" test, and could see within about 10% of what I could before with contacts/glasses.  When I wake up, my eyes are kinda "sticky", but a few eyedrops and they're much better.  I'll try to give an update as it goes.
dp
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#41]
My LASIK experience:

I was very near-sighted before.  I forget the numbers, but it was so bad that I couldn't wear glasses because the lenses were too thick and heavy to stay on my face.

I went in, underwent the procedure, and within 15 minutes afterwards my vision was 20/30 with only a slight cloudiness.  The next day my vision was 20/10 and clear.

I used the drops religiously, kept things clean, kept all water out of my eyes and didn't touch them for weeks, and pretty much stayed indoors as much as possible, wearing goggles when I had to work.

10 years later, it's still 20/10.  I only suffer minor halos, and I suffered that before I went in.  If anything, my night vision is better.

The key is going to a good place to have it done and then follow the after operation instructions fanatically.  That means your life will suck for about 6 weeks afterwards, but if you do it right, it will last for 30-40 years even if you do heavy reading and all of that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Yep, Friday my right eye was 20/20, my left was 20/30.  I still have a little bit of cloudyness in my left eye, but the right is good, only a few halos/streaks at night.  With the PRK, mine is supposed to continue to get better.  So far I'm fairly happy with my results.  I'd be very happy if my left got a little better, and some of the streaking went away.  
dp
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:59:03 AM EDT
[#43]
I had LASIK a year ago, and have been happy with th results.  I had a combination of near sightedness and astigmastism, my clear focus range was about 3 inches.  

I had dry eyes for several months after surgery, and still have some halos at night, and glare really bothers me.  My ability to see in the dark is noticealby reduced, but not to the point that I avoid driving, etc.  I do wear sungalsses more often than before.

I test at 20/20, my vision is not super sharp but I can read the 20 ft line, and my shooting scores improved.  I do need reading glasses, not unexpected since I was in bifocals prior to lasik.  

LASIK is a trade off.  It was WELLL worth it for me, YMMV.

If you still have blurry vision in one eye, either return to the surgeon or see another doc.  

Ops
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Yep, Friday my right eye was 20/20, my left was 20/30.  I still have a little bit of cloudyness in my left eye, but the right is good, only a few halos/streaks at night.  With the PRK, mine is supposed to continue to get better.  So far I'm fairly happy with my results.  I'd be very happy if my left got a little better, and some of the streaking went away.  
dp

I had PRK done on 2/13.  The contacts were taken out on 2/18, and the doc says it will be a week or 2, maybe more before I get my "final" vision.  So far I am happy, no hazyness, but things still are a little blurry, but no halos or other artifacts etc going on.   Things seem to get better day by day.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:27:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I had mine done in March 2005 and now have 20/20 in both eyes.  The next day everything was crystal clear and my night vision was no problem within a month after the surgery.  Sorry your results aren't like mine, but maybe after time things will improve.

Sounds like mine, I had it done April of 2005. And it's amazing, shooting is even more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Update: I had an appointment this morning.
Doc insterted some type of things into my tear ducts to make them drain into my eye a different way.  Then he says, come back in a month.
Then I ask, OK, when I come back in a month and the problem isn't gone, what then?  He says, "Get a second opinion".  
DO NOT GO TO SHAPIRO EYE IN GREENSBORO, NC.
I feel like I'm at the fucking K&W cafeteria when I go in there.
They run you in and run you out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Update: I had an appointment this morning.
Doc insterted some type of things into my tear ducts to make them drain into my eye a different way.  Then he says, come back in a month.

A friend of mine told me to not get the Tear Duct block. Instead, to use Refreshing Eyes drops as often as every 15 minutes or as irritated. Which helped alot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#48]
I had intralase done almost a year ago.

My bad eye was 20/100, with glasses it was 20/50 - my doctor told me it would never be any better than that. After surgery - it's 20/20.

My better eye was 20/50, with glasses 20/15. After surgery, it's 20/15.

The only downside is I'm more sensitive to light - I almost never wore sunglasses before, but now I wear them on bright, clear days.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:46:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Have your results improved any in the 2 weeks since your last post?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Have your results improved any in the 2 weeks since your last post?

No, but I have isolated something.
I have a "ghost image" in the right eye, just above and a tad to the right of the primary image, and at night I have another ghost image, well below and to the left.  I notice that the lower ghost image disappears when I my pupil constricts.  If I look ahead at tail lights, the lower image is prominent, but when I focus on the oncoming headlights in the other lane, the image slower fades away.  When I refocus on the tail lights ahead, it slowly reappears.  Same thing happens if I go from looking at the dark road to a brightly light area like gas station.  

So: Upper ghost image is constant, Lower image only appeats when pupils are dilated.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top