Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/31/2014 5:32:49 PM EDT
and I feel like a little bitch.

been going to a gym with one of my buddies a couple of times now and am trying to do a full body routine every time I go since its the only place I have access to a squat rack.

Bench Press
135x8
185x8
205x5
205x5
185x8

Pull ups
5 sets of 7

Hang Clean
95x5
115x5
115x4

Dips
2 sets of 5

squat(Second time in a rack...humbling to say the least)

45x5
95x5
115x5
95x5

Leg Press
180x8
180x8
180x8

Overhead Press

65x8
85x6

Is this too much to do in one session or should I break it up some. I have access to a bench and pull up bar at my house. I'm not real sure I can go to this gym with out my buddy due to its rules. Questionable if I'm eligible to join, so I try to do as much as I can while I have an opportunity to get in there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You are doing a little much starting out.

You should get on a beginner strength program. Like starting strength.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah too much IMO.

Your squat should be a lot more than your hang clean.

Bench and strict press in the same workout isn't what I'd recommend.

Personally I think if you only have one day to get into a rack dedicate that to squat day- bench and press at home.

Do your back squats and squat accessory work (front squat maybe? I'm not a fan of leg press really)
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You should get on a beginner strength program. Like starting strength.
View Quote

Yeah, and this. You're all over the place. Where'd you get this program?
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah too much IMO.

Your squat should be a lot more than your hang clean.

Bench and strict press in the same workout isn't what I'd recommend.

Personally I think if you only have one day to get into a rack dedicate that to squat day- bench and press at home.

Do your back squats and squat accessory work (front squat maybe? I'm not a fan of leg press really)
View Quote

But I like doing bench and shoulder press on the same day.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Any chance you buy a rack off craigslist and set up at home?

I am doing squats twice a week and going to three times a week as soon as my schedule allows.  I can tell you that when I was doing squats three days a week on Stronglifts I made really good progress.  In my totally uneducated opinion one day of squats is going to be tough to make gains with.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I figured it was a little much to be doing all at once. I have starting strength and am in the process of reading it. I am trying to get him to buy into it but he hates squats. He pretty much does bench, curls, and triceps pull downs. I am trying to do more complex movements but didn't want to screw up my chances of getting back in here so I had to shadow him a little on the bench. I have pretty much neglected my legs all my life and am trying to change that (Trying to dunk again before I'm 30).
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Hopefully you will have more access to a squat rack and can incorporate at least a couple of days of squats into your routine.  Deadlifts are good also.

I must be the weirdo because I like squats and deadlifts and don't like the bench and hate rows.  Don't get me started on pull ups.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#8]
OK update...Went back tonight and tried to cut down the routine a bit

5 min on treadmill to warm up

Squat
45x5
95x5
115x5
125x4
115x5

Bench
135x5
185x5
205x5
205x5
185x5

Deadlift
115x5
135x5
155x5

Dips
2x7

Decline Crunch
2x20

Treadmill
5 min

Is this starting to look a little better routine wise?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

5 min on treadmill to warm up

Squat
45x5
95x5
115x5
125x4
115x5

Bench
135x5
185x5
205x5
205x5
185x5

Deadlift
115x5
135x5
155x5

Dips
2x7

Decline Crunch
2x20

Treadmill
5 min

View Quote

Why are you backing the weight back down?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#10]
No spotter so trying to make sure I can complete the reps. Is this hindering my progress? If so I can stop doing it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No spotter so trying to make sure I can complete the reps. Is this hindering my progress? If so I can stop doing it.
View Quote

The safety pins in the rack are your spotter.

You never said what program your using.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Mark Rippetoe's starting strength is an excellent start.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hopefully you will have more access to a squat rack and can incorporate at least a couple of days of squats into your routine.  Deadlifts are good also.

I must be the weirdo because I like squats and deadlifts and don't like the bench and hate rows.  Don't get me started on pull ups.
View Quote

I love squats, deadlifts, and bench. Not a fan of rows, hate pullups, and loathe running

I echo the sentiment that SL5x5 is a great program and I made a lot of gains on it, although like everyone I eventually plateaued. But that's not a reason to avoid it; just know that you'll have to switch to another program eventually.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 2:07:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not helping. Ask for help or lift in a cage or rack.

You must have really neglected your legs if you can bench 205 and only get 125 in squats. On the bright side squat weight goes up fast but it's painful and you have to stick with it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 2:30:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You must have really neglected your legs if you can bench 205 and only get 125 in squats. On the bright side squat weight goes up fast but it's painful and you have to stick with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He may be the "friends don't let friends skip leg day" guy
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn't squat and deadlift on the same day, but that's just me.

It would behoove you to just do Starting Strength and do it to the letter.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I got the workout for yesterday from starting strength p.306. Not sure how some say follow starting strength to a T one sentence then the next say don't dead and squat on the same day. Isn't ss a squat 3 day a week program?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:43:09 AM EDT
[#20]
As a beginner, squats and deads on the same day are very doable. As you become more experienced, when you go heavy it's too taxing on the body. Ir's somewhat counter-intuitive, but (assuming no steroids) experienced lifters are able to recruit more muscles at once and really tax the CNS in a way that makes two or three heavy days a week counterproductive. This is why you see guys like the West Side crew doing a heavy day and a dynamic day.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Yep, since I dropped deads and squats to only one day a week each (seperate days), ive gotten bigger numbers in both reps and max.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I got the workout for yesterday from starting strength p.306. Not sure how some say follow starting strength to a T one sentence then the next say don't dead and squat on the same day. Isn't ss a squat 3 day a week program?
View Quote

Yes you do them on the same day in SS. You have a ways to go before you need to break them up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes you do them on the same day in SS. You have a ways to go before you need to break them up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You never have to break them up. I have lifted for years and still do squats and deads on the same day, twice a week. One 5/3/1 i do reversed BBB so on squat days I do dead 5x10@ 50% and on deadlift day I do squat 5x10@50%
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You never have to break them up. I have lifted for years and still do squats and deads on the same day, twice a week. One 5/3/1 i do reversed BBB so on squat days I do dead 5x10@ 50% and on deadlift day I do squat 5x10@50%
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See even he isn't to the point where he has to break them up and he has lifted for years.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

See even he isn't to the point where he has to break them up and he has lifted for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tcataz is also talking about BBB, not the main 5/3/1. Remember also that on SS you're only doing a 1x5 deadlift. If you're doing a 3x5 squat and a 3x5 deadlift HEAVY on the same day, I don't think that's conducive to getting the best results possible.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#26]
4-5-14

Squat
45x5x3
65x5
95x5
115x5x3

Press
45x5x2
65x5
85x5x3

Deadlift
45x5x2
95x5
115x5
135x5
155x5x2

Decline Crunch
20x2

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
4-5-14

Squat
45x5x3
65x5
95x5
115x5x3

Press
45x5x2
65x5
85x5x3

Deadlift
45x5x2
95x5
115x5
135x5
155x5x2

Decline Crunch
20x2

View Quote

Throw more weight on that squat bar. You won't feel like you need to do crunches.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#28]
4-7-14

Squat
45x5x2
65x5
85x3
105x2
125x5x3

Bench
45x5x2
95x5
135x3
185x2
205x5x3

Deadlift
45x5x2
95x5
135x3
165x5

Decline Crunch
20x3
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Throw more weight on that squat bar. You won't feel like you need to do crunches.

Haha yeah I'm workin my way up on those squats.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Haha yeah I'm workin my way up on those squats.
View Quote

You get DOMS yet?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#31]
A little but I may have started a little light just to make sure I get the form down on squats and deads. But those last two reps on every exercise were tough.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A little but I may have started a little light just to make sure I get the form down on squats and deads. But those last two reps on every exercise were tough.
View Quote

When you get close to your real limit for the first time you will know it 2 days later.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#33]
UPDATE

Since 3-29 I have increased my squat by 45lb and my deadlift from 155 to 195. When I started doing SS I was only doing 5x1 at 205 on bench press Today I did 5x3 at 210. Schedule wise I should have done 5x3 at 215 but got hung on my last rep at 210 Saturday so I repeated that weight tonight.

I feel like I am really starting to hit my max's on everything but deadlift so I may have to reduce the weight I'm increasing each workout. I really struggled with my last set of squats tonight(I still have little girly legs)

I probably need to be eating more.

I put a video of my last set on YouTube for critique. I want form advice before I get into a weight that can really hurt me. Just by looking at it for the first time with my untrained eye I believe my upper body is dropping too far forward. Sorry for the crappy angle I didn't have anyone to hold my phone so I propped it up on a machine(Finally found a use for that smith machine).

http://youtu.be/vNtIMM0veD4

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I just recently started back on the 3 day a week squat routine. But instead of doing all back squats, I have been alternating front squats and back squats on different days.  And it has really helped my progression.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
UPDATE

Since 3-29 I have increased my squat by 45lb and my deadlift from 155 to 195. When I started doing SS I was only doing 5x1 at 205 on bench press Today I did 5x3 at 210. Schedule wise I should have done 5x3 at 215 but got hung on my last rep at 210 Saturday so I repeated that weight tonight.

I feel like I am really starting to hit my max's on everything but deadlift so I may have to reduce the weight I'm increasing each workout. I really struggled with my last set of squats tonight(I still have little girly legs)

I probably need to be eating more.

I put a video of my last set on YouTube for critique. I want form advice before I get into a weight that can really hurt me. Just by looking at it for the first time with my untrained eye I believe my upper body is dropping too far forward. Sorry for the crappy angle I didn't have anyone to hold my phone so I propped it up on a machine(Finally found a use for that smith machine).

http://youtu.be/vNtIMM0veD4

View Quote

Looks like you are leaning too far forward for high bar squats.

Take a little more time to setup.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Your back rounds and falls apart at the bottom.   work on your hip mobility

Start with some goblet squats and get the form down and work on stretching our your hip flexors so the back doesn't collapse.

Looks like you are a big tall lanky guy, welcome to squats sucking for big tall lanky guys.   We have to go a LONG way down.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#37]
This has nothing to do with the actuall squat but turn around in the squat rack. NEVER rack the bar backward. When it gets heavy that can be trouble.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This has nothing to do with the actuall squat but turn around in the squat rack. NEVER rack the bar backward. When it gets heavy that can be trouble.
View Quote

good catch.  I didn't catch that and i watched it like 3 times.
Listen to tcataz!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the advice guys. I usually face the rack but just didn't think about it this time. I remember reading in SS that its dangerous to do it otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Your back rounds and falls apart at the bottom.   work on your hip mobility

Start with some goblet squats and get the form down and work on stretching our your hip flexors so the back doesn't collapse.

Looks like you are a big tall lanky guy, welcome to squats sucking for big tall lanky guys.   We have to go a LONG way down.
View Quote

BTLG here and I approve this message.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Finally get my squat form just right and I'm getting a sharp pain in the left knee at the top of the positive portion of the squat. Wondering if I'm going to need a brace or something
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Finally get my squat form just right and I'm getting a sharp pain in the left knee at the top of the positive portion of the squat. Wondering if I'm going to need a brace or something
View Quote

Can you post a vid of your squat?

I have/had the same trouble as you once I started getting up into the mid 300's.  The video I posted showed that I wasn't really hinging at the hips and sitting back into the hole, hence I was "quadding the shit" out of my squat causing my knee to get in front of my toes.

We'll be more than happy to make fun of you help out.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have/had the same trouble as you once I started getting up into the mid 300's.  The video I posted showed that I wasn't really hinging at the hips and sitting back into the hole, hence I was "quadding the shit" out of my squat causing my knee to get in front of my toes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knee is probably extending past the toes a bit. I'll try to get a vid up.

Hm, just moved my leg and it felt a bit sore. Wonder if I injured the damn thing. Great.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Got PR's in Squat (165), OHP (105), and Deadlift (225) tonight. on my squats I only did 3x4x165  

I tried some active recovery last night with light (95lb) squats trying to work on my form. I'm thinking that may have messed me up for tonight.

I have two rest days before I go back in. Should I go for 3x5x165 or 3x5x170?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:38:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Got PR's in Squat (165), OHP (105), and Deadlift (225) tonight. on my squats I only did 3x4x165  

I tried some active recovery last night with light (95lb) squats trying to work on my form. I'm thinking that may have messed me up for tonight.

I have two rest days before I go back in. Should I go for 3x5x165 or 3x5x170?
View Quote

If you missed more than 2 reps you should stay at same weight.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#46]
YNDTP

I have been making significant gains in Bench and Deadlift for the last month but am struggling on the Squats. I feel like I am struggling to gain any strength at all and have been having a hard time increasing my workset by 5lb every workout.

I have added about 100lb to my deadlift in almost a month however my squat has almost stalled. I cant seem to finish the last few reps if I up my squat weight.

HELP
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
YNDTP

I have been making significant gains in Bench and Deadlift for the last month but am struggling on the Squats. I feel like I am struggling to gain any strength at all and have been having a hard time increasing my workset by 5lb every workout.

<a href="http://s178.photobucket.com/user/bte0816/media/Untitled.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/bte0816/Untitled.jpg</a>

I have added about 100lb to my deadlift in almost a month however my squat has almost stalled. I cant seem to finish the last few reps if I up my squat weight.

HELP
View Quote

What does the graph represent?  Third bar bench, fourth squat and fith deadlift?  Just posting the input data might be easier to see what you've done so far.

Without that, the next question is how is your diet and overall recovery?  Next is how is your form, have you posted a video before?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
YNDTP

<a href="http://s178.photobucket.com/user/bte0816/media/Untitled.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/bte0816/Untitled.jpg</a>

HELP
View Quote

Deadlift is easy to add weight to at first. It will get hard soon enough.

Squat was always my worst until I started doing front squats on alternating days. Since I did that my back squats have taken off.

Or you could do a reset.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#49]
depends on your body type too.
Different people are made to do different things.

Big tall lanky guys have a tough time with squats (we have to go a LONG way) and bench press, but we rock at deadlifts

short squat guys with short arms rock at squat and bench press and struggle with deadlift.

or, different types of bodies....

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#50]
So frustrated. I was having a super hard time adding strength to my squat so i upped my calories to between 3200-3500 a day. In the past two weeks I have added 30lb to my squats, this is a good thing.

Unfortunately my bench has died. 3 weeks ago I did 225x5 225x5 225x4. I reset back to 200 and the past two bench days I have gotten hung at 215 on my second set. Idk what has happened. I have pretty much been hung at a 250ish one rep max for about 6mo on bench and cant get over the hurdle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top