Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 1/5/2013 7:31:48 AM EDT
there has been some interest in running another weight loss / body transformation contest; this thread is to gauge interest. i haven't run it by the mods yet but AGW is pretty cool about these things and we've already got members offering up prizes. i'll leave this up for a few days and we'll go from there.

standby for poll

ETA: I love y'all but I don't have the attention span needed for something longer than 3 months, so that's what we'll roll with for now. We'll also go with the transformation goal so everyone can participate. I propose we kick off next Friday Monday (1/14/13); hopefully that will give everyone ample time to decide on goals, get pics, etc. Assuming this works for the majority I'll get some specifics posted ASAP.

ETA #2: pics must be submitted by 23:59 hours on Sunday 01/13/13. one body shot (no shirt) is required and then pick another to go along with your goal. email pics to [email protected]. PLEASE keep your pic size below 200kb each. be sure to include your username and goals in your submission. if you're going for weight loss we obviously need a pic of a scale readout as one of your goals. if you're going for "better upper body looks" then use a pic to your benefit. you'll need the same poses for your after pics, so don't get stupid.

hunterrose13 has offered a bronze membership as a prize; thank you to him.
donne3 has offered a maxpedition pistol case from the Arfcom store as a prize; many thanks to her. she is also the keeper of the care package addresses; IM her for intel.
i'll hit up some site sponsors for prizes and we'll see what comes out.

pics of your care packages must be posted here before 23:59 on 1/13/13 or you're not in!!!!!

So far I've got:
Compass
Global_Cooling
Shiky
Soonerborn
Razoreye
Donne3
hootch13
BozemanMT
zx6rrich
Quarterbore
MrKasab
kallnojoy
disparcher91
raven
Slipey76
hunterrose13
slimjim
kmmuellr

If you know of anyone else interested pass the word.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I like these threads.

I should do it. Don't think I will since I won't have gym access until I figure things out.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
i would like to see a 1 year.  Jan 1 to Jan 1

eliminates the yo-yo

plus i have a shit ton more to lose so it helps my chances.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Are we going to go by lbs lost or % lost?
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

eliminates the yo-yo

I would say 11 months. That means through thanksgiving.

While I like watching the threads you can see some tried and lost a little but it was really not all that much. Then they probably stopped.

Long term, gotta think long term. Once you hit 6 months it should be more permanent than temporary.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

in the past we've done percentage, which is what i'd recommend
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I just finished a year long one. It is a sick son of  a bitch that ends a weight loss contest at the end of the holiday season!
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What if there was some other measure besides weight? Let's face it, not everyone needs to lose weight...some need to gain, and some need to stay the same weight but trade 20# of fat for muscles.

Judging would be harder, but the results may be worth it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like these threads.

I should do it. Don't think I will since I won't have gym access until I figure things out.

Don't you still need to eat a sandwich or twenty
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What if there was some other measure besides weight? Let's face it, not everyone needs to lose weight...some need to gain, and some need to stay the same weight but trade 20# of fat for muscles.    

We also had one that had a panel of arfwomenz judge before & after pics
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like these threads.

Pretty much.

Which is why if this is a weight loss thread, I'm screwed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 12:19:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

We also had one that had a panel of arfwomenz judge before & after pics

that was fun.  

as I said in the other thread, I'm in but only for accountability. I need to know that someone else will know if I succeed or fail. I don't care what the time frame is, as I have monthly goals...
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like these threads.

Pretty much.

we had one a while back where each person set their own goals, and the closer you got to your goal, the better...  that way, if you needed to put on 20 pounds of muscle, your pics would show that...
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like these threads.

Pretty much.

Join the legion, and eat some food brother
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like these threads.

Pretty much.

we had one a while back where each person set their own goals, and the closer you got to your goal, the better...  that way, if you needed to put on 20 pounds of muscle, your pics would show that...

Ain't no rest for the wicked.

I'm down. I just don't know how to quantify my goal other than more muscle. Weight wise I'm actually pretty happy so if I can subsitute fat for muscle and perhaps add a little more, that'd be nice.

The shitty part is figuring out HOW with my job. I'm on the road all the time and these fucking hotels don't have shit for equipment.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like these threads.

Pretty much.

I've got 3 goals, brother. Better fitness, learn the violin, learn to speak spanish (I already know a bit) and german.

Lots of stuff to kill my free time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like these threads.

Pretty much.

I've got 3 goals, brother. Better fitness, learn the violin, learn to speak spanish (I already know a bit) and german.

Lots of stuff to kill my free time.

Yikes. The last two sound like a mofo. English and the Jews harp are, quite seriously, more than I can tame
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 1:00:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, considering I started towards the end of November, that probably leaves me out.  I'll from this point I guess, but I've only got 10 more pounds to hit my goal.  I'm still pre-abs showing, so could probably make myself look fat still for the before pic.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#20]
i'm down for it again. rang in at 262 this morning, and i plan to be down to 230 by March 8... my birthday.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 1:04:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm in! Format and length doesn't matter to me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 1:23:41 AM EDT
[#22]
So we're in agreement that a "body transformation" contest with contestant-defined goals & independent judging is a better option for most?
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 1:47:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm in. Either judging or participant. Doesn't matter. I've been doing my own transformation on my own anyways.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 4:59:17 AM EDT
[#24]
See updated OP

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd be in again, need to get from 195 to 175 and tighten up this loose skin from my 285-200 loss.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Im in.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm not interested if it's a short term gig. 6 months or longer. That shows a bit more tenacity and improvement.

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

eliminates the yo-yo

This I'd do.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#29]
hootch i truly appreciate your oversight on this, but WHO THE FUCK STARTS ANYTHING ON A FRIDAY? can't we start Monday?
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm in if I can kick this cold/crud by the start date.

Whole family has been fighting it since Christmas.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Lets rock this.  Put me in.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
hootch i truly appreciate your oversight on this, but WHO THE FUCK STARTS ANYTHING ON A FRIDAY? can't we start Monday?

that is my monday

fine....next monday then

OP update
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm not interested if it's a short term gig. 6 months or longer. That shows a bit more tenacity and improvement.

this could be just part one for you...  

no excuses.  find a "stepping stone" goal and use this to reach it. then reach the next stepping stone with the following three months.  

do it.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Add me in. I quit nicotine last year in march and have been very happy. This year is weight loss, weighed this morning and was 310. By end of July I want to be at 270 or lower. End goal (regardless of time) is 215.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Add me in. I quit nicotine last year in march and have been very happy. This year is weight loss, weighed this morning and was 310. By end of July I want to be at 270 or lower. End goal (regardless of time) is 215.

one pound at a time.  you'll make it.    what's your plan?
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Three months sounds good.  I think I can still make myself look fairly fat!
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is main problem, I don't have one. I know it is required but I have never figured one out. Will have to find a way to work this in with working my normal job, running my own business all the while being a husband and father of 3.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Would anyone be opposed to a "buy in/entry fee" of a care package for Team Ranstad?

1. Your care package goes straight to a soldier that needs it.
2. It gives you a vested interest besides the prizes.
3. Why not?

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Would anyone be opposed to a "buy in/entry fee" of a care package for Team Ranstad?

3. Why not?

Thoughts?

I'm doing something similar on Facebook. I joined a page where they do quarterly weight loss challenges. It cost $10 to join and whoever wins gets the money.

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

3. Why not?

Thoughts?

I'm down with that.

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is main problem, I don't have one. I know it is required but I have never figured one out. Will have to find a way to work this in with working my normal job, running my own business all the while being a husband and father of 3.

a very easy (and free) way to track your food and exercise is SparkPeople.com - just plug in what you ate each day and what exercises you did, and you can see how you need to adjust...  several other trackers out there, but SP is my personal favorite.  best way to make a plan is to see what your current state is...  until you know where you are, you don't know how to adjust direction to get to the goal...
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#43]
In, but only playing for pride and the hot wimmenz drooling over my 'after' pictures.

I have been lifting and not doing much cardio.  Time to see if there is a six pack hiding under the pony keg.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 11:56:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this could be just part one for you...  

no excuses.  find a "stepping stone" goal and use this to reach it. then reach the next stepping stone with the following three months.  

do it.  

I can post along, sure. I just won't have a chance to win.

ETA: I'm more interested in other peoples' (and my own) long term ability. Not short term stuff. Life changes, not just pure games.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I think Hootch missed my post, I'd be in again if i can, since i was just in the last one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think Hootch missed my post, I'd be in again if i can, since i was just in the last one.

Sorry guys & gals; work has been a little busy lately. Bear with me

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#47]
All is fair in love and war!

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

3. Why not?

Thoughts?

In.

What day we starting again so I can get pictures done?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top