Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/13/2017 2:02:04 PM EDT
So, I'm 5'11 235. Fat.

Twice in the last 10yrs I've lost 50lbs to put me around 190 at the time. I'd like to get back to that weight.

Both times were with ONLY dietary changes. No exercise. I want to add some type of exercise/weight training.

So far today I've downloaded my fitness pal to start tracking meals. I want to stay under 2,000 calories and under 50g carbs. The carbs won't be a problem, calories will.

On the exercise side of things, I've never done a whole lot of lifting and I HATE HATE HATE running. I have about 30min a day max for exercise/lifting.

Give me any advice to make sure I stick with it. What do I need to do to maximize my efforts. My main goal is how I look. Secondary is strength.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
highly suggest stronglifts 5x5.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Might have to modify it to fit inside 30 minutes.

If your main goal is looks, you can do a lot in a few months with a pull up bar and a barbell.

My start into fitness after organized sports was basically Pullups, Ring Dips and Bodyweight Squats 3x a week. Buying a barbell and weights was way better though.

If you've gained and lost 50 lbs twice already, it sounds like you are burning out on the diet. What are your eating/buying habits? Much easier long term if you start cooking most meals from scratch, and completely avoid buying soda/sugar/processed snack type food.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#3]
missed the 30 min part. If its just looks p90x has some good programs that are capable of kicking your ass.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
missed the 30 min part. If its just looks p90x has some good programs that are capable of kicking your ass.
View Quote
P90x3 I think is the 30 minute one.

I did the first one a couple winters. It was fun, but time consuming, and didn't do much as far as building muscle.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, I'm 5'11 235. Fat.

Twice in the last 10yrs I've lost 50lbs to put me around 190 at the time. I'd like to get back to that weight.

Both times were with ONLY dietary changes. No exercise. I want to add some type of exercise/weight training.

So far today I've downloaded my fitness pal to start tracking meals. I want to stay under 2,000 calories and under 50g carbs. The carbs won't be a problem, calories will.

On the exercise side of things, I've never done a whole lot of lifting and I HATE HATE HATE running. I have about 30min a day max for exercise/lifting.

Give me any advice to make sure I stick with it. What do I need to do to maximize my efforts. My main goal is how I look. Secondary is strength.
View Quote
Awesome!

Get those carbs closer to 20 and I promise within a few weeks you won't be sweating the calories.

Come on over to the lean side!
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Awesome!

Get those carbs closer to 20 and I promise within a few weeks you won't be sweating the calories.

View Quote
The first time I lost 50lbs was low carb/ high protein. It was through a "weight loss clinic" and included a couple of shakes and phendometrizine(sp?). I've been trying to stay low carb the past few months, but my portion sizes get out of control.

That's why I'm thinking low carb combined with a calorie goal each day.

So far today I'm at 890 calories and 16g carbs. I don't completely trust the numbers on my fitness pal, but they're pretty close.

I don't know if I can do 20g carbs/day
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Any helpful links?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The first time I lost 50lbs was low carb/ high protein. It was through a "weight loss clinic" and included a couple of shakes and phendometrizine(sp?). I've been trying to stay low carb the past few months, but my portion sizes get out of control.

So far today I'm at 890 calories and 16g carbs. I don't completely trust the numbers on my fitness pal, but they're pretty close.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome!

It kind of sucks to get used to, but intermittent fasting can help with portion control problems. Basically you still eat at your calorie goal, but only for an 8 hour window. The other 16 hours of the day you can have water and plain coffee or tea. So for an example, set up your eating window from Noon-8pm. Eat a nice big lunch to break the fast, then an afternoon or early evening snack, then a good sized supper. If there are calories remaining have a small snack before 8pm.

You are full for bed so it's easy to get to sleep, and you just have to get through the morning without eating, which isn't too hard with a few cups of coffee.

There are other benefits to it (apparently) but I liked it because I could still eat filling meals while cutting some fat.

If you want to have near perfect numbers to log, you should buy a food scale and start weighing your food as well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I did Nutrisystem for 6 months and lost 65 pounds.  It taught me the correct way to eat and I've kept it off (about a year).  I'm healthier than I've been in 25 years.  I use a elliptical 30 mins per day or walk through the neighborhood for 3-4 miles.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Just looked at stronglift 5x5. I like the look of it. I will make time for it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Starting Strength is another similar program that uses 3x5, could probably finish it quicker each workout.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I did the first one a couple winters. It was fun, but time consuming, and didn't do much as far as building muscle.
View Quote
muscle aint his goal tho.
will you lose weight, yep.
will you get some muscle gain? surely.
will it make you bench 225? nope? Deadlift going to improve much? probably not.
youll be able to do alot more pushups and chip ups etc, not all bad. I think it would fit his goals for the most part.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Any helpful links?
View Quote
Stronglifts 5x5 website
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
sorry, im slow today
Stronglifts is a great place to start, i did it for some time. Take your time with it and focus on form form form over weight.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
youll be able to do alot more pushups and chip ups etc, not all bad. I think it would fit his goals for the most part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus you want to drive to Tony's house and punch him in the eye for putting you through that shit.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Plus you want to drive to Tony's house and punch him in the eye for putting you through that shit.
View Quote
HAHAHA! YES
ab ripper or whatever SUUUUUUHHHUUUUUUCKS
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
HAHAHA! YES
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HAHAHA! YES
"Alright kids...we just did regular pullups for 10 minutes....time for towel pullups"

God Dammit Tony

Then, after being on the program long enough, you already know whats coming ahead of time and that makes it worse.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yea but that German chick in one of the videos.........

OP, for exercise, above all else, you have to enjoy doing it.  Otherwise you'll do it for a week, maybe two and then you'll find yourself slipping right back to your old routine.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yea but that German chick in one of the videos.........

OP, for exercise, above all else, you have to enjoy doing it.  Otherwise you'll do it for a week, maybe two and then you'll find yourself slipping right back to your old routine.
View Quote
this is true, just find what you like and what is realistic for you to want to do.
Im glad I started stronglifts. Lifting is fun, even though im not that good at it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I highly suggest not running.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lifting is fun, even though im not that good at it.
View Quote
Hey guy, I'm the guy that's not good at it here, but I'm small so there's room enough for both of us I guess.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Starting Strength is another similar program that uses 3x5, could probably finish it quicker each workout.
View Quote
I do the 5x5 lifts but use the 3x5 sets from starting strength. With 10x 5x 3x 2x warmup sets and 2 minute cooldown between sets and the usual fucking around it takes me about 90 minutes.

I have banged it out in under an hour skipping cooldowns between warmups and just banging it out.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#24]
So far today hasn't been as bad as I though it'd be. I haven't at supper yet. The big thing I need to cut out is lat night snacking
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hey guy, I'm the guy that's not good at it here, but I'm small so there's room enough for both of us I guess.
View Quote
I have no doubt you lift more than me. my 1rm bench was a crap 200
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah but you only weigh like 50#s.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've never tested a 1RM, but I'm fairly certain 2 plates would staple me to the bench.

I've lost 9 lbs since May too, it's just making it worse.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Daily total after all meals and snacks

1488 calories 39 grams of carbs

If I stay close to this what can I expect
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
weight will fall off fast.
tip: eat early no carb dinner, skip breakfast next morning.
workout fasted if you can as well.

edit: just a thought, dont go too low on calories right out of the gate youll hit the bottom too fast. In other words you will stop losing weight and you wont have any more room to drop calories. so drop calories slower and use workload to help create the deficit.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

edit: just a thought, dont go too low on calories right out of the gate youll hit the bottom too fast. In other words you will stop losing weight and you wont have any more room to drop calories. so drop calories slower and use workload to help create the deficit.
View Quote
No breakfast may be a deal breaker for me...
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
what about some coffee?
it just lengthens the fast that way is all. not a must.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do no breakfast often, two cups of coffee spaced over two hours will suppress my appetite enough to get me to lunch.

I try to avoid it though because I'm trying to hold weight.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#33]
What benefit will I see from not eating breakfast?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
fat loss. you would have fasted shortly after dinner, all night, through breakfast up until lunch.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Will that not cause my metabolism to slow?

Also, I'm a bourbon fan. Is straight Bourbon or Whiskey a no-go after supper?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
The big one is being able to eat man sized lunch and dinner and feel satiated for the evening. It is also supposed to help decrease insulin resistance, which is a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Will that not cause my metabolism to slow?

Also, I'm a bourbon fan. Is straight Bourbon or Whiskey a no-go after supper?
View Quote
70 calories per ounce according to google.

Plus metabolizing it is supposed to affect other body functions required when exercising regularly.

I would pass on the booze except maybe on the weekend nights, and be sure to track it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#38]
I've ate nothing since 6:30 last night.

I drank about 40oz of water between supper and bed last night.

I'm now sipping on a large tumbler of coffee with one serving of sugar free creamer in it. I'm just now starting to get hungy

I weighed myself this morning. 237. I've also done 50 push ups this morning
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've ate nothing since 6:30 last night.

I drank about 40oz of water between supper and bed last night.

I'm now sipping on a large tumbler of coffee with one serving of sugar free creamer in it. I'm just now starting to get hungy

I weighed myself this morning. 237. I've also done 50 push ups this morning
View Quote
you sound pretty dedicated, thats good.
if you do 50 pushups mix them up, wide, military etc.
maybe look into kettle bell swings.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can get very dedicated for short periods of time. My struggle is falling off the wagon, so to speak. I have to turn early dedication in to long term habits.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I can get very dedicated for short periods of time. My struggle is falling off the wagon, so to speak. I have to turn early dedication in to long term habits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to turn motivation into dedication.

Motivation is what gets you started and through the first leg of the race.

Dedication is what keeps you going after the motivation wears off.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You need to turn motivation into dedication.

Motivation is what gets you started and through the first leg of the race.

Dedication is what keeps you going after the motivation wears off.
View Quote
Then you turn dedication into obsession.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
for me the barbell is the easiest shit to stick to. 3 days a week is easy. put the barbell where you'll trip over it and you won't easily forget.

Cardio and shit i get burnt out on real quick. I only bother with it when i need to.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Just ate my first food of the day. Made it from 6:30pm to 1pm the following day.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
for me the barbell is the easiest shit to stick to. 3 days a week is easy. put the barbell where you'll trip over it and you won't easily forget.

Cardio and shit i get burnt out on real quick. I only bother with it when i need to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish in college they made us hit the weight room and encouraged eating a ton instead of running and calestenics for hours.

I hate running and cardio with a passion after being forced to do it multiple times a day and watching myself get faster but smaller.

I beats you up, lifting to me is far more sustainable, and the results are much more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I would do stronglifts, use the app, but if I had to get it in 30 minutes id do 3 sets of 5, not 5 sets of 5.

How old are you OP?  3 sets of 5 is probably better for you anyway if you're not a young buck.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can expect a metabolism that gets better at using less calories and weight loss will stall, then you will have backed yourself into a metabolic corner, with no place to go except cut more cals or cardio...rinse and repeat.  Then you fall off the wagon with your newly adapted metabolism that is good at using less cals, then you eat like you used to and you get really fat really fast.  

I have gone from 229 to 213 the last few months eating 3000 cals a day.

For long term success, there is just NOTHING that will work other than eating pretty decent most of the time and "exercising".   Eating 1500 cals a day is not a recipe for long term success.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You can expect a metabolism that gets better at using less calories and weight loss will stall, then you will have backed yourself into a metabolic corner, with no place to go except cut more cals or cardio...rinse and repeat.  Then you fall off the wagon with your newly adapted metabolism that is good at using less cals, then you eat like you used to and you get really fat really fast.  

For long term success, there is just NOTHING that will work other than eating pretty decent most of the time and "exercising".   Eating 1500 cals a day is not a recipe for long term success.
View Quote
OP, please reread this post.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're first statement was my concern with not eating breakfast. The other times I have lost weight, breakfast was a must to get the system going.

I am 237lbs of flab. I'm not trying to "get ripped" right now. Maybe a little ways down the road. I know Muscle weighs more than fat and muscle helps burn fat. That is why I know I need to begin a weight training regiment. I also know this will help me tone up faster. I am flabby. I have a gut and boobs. These must go. In the past I've lost 40-50lbs two different times in 3 months. I know low carb works for me, but my low carb had also become HUGE portions. Counting calories is my way of watching my portions.

I don't understand how under 2,000 calories and under 40g carbs is bad for the next couple of months. I realize that eventually I'll have to change it up a little, especially if I start building more muscle.

AM I way off base here?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You're first statement was my concern with not eating breakfast. The other times I have lost weight, breakfast was a must to get the system going.

I am 237lbs of flab. I'm not trying to "get ripped" right now. Maybe a little ways down the road. I know Muscle weighs more than fat and muscle helps burn fat. That is why I know I need to begin a weight training regiment. I also know this will help me tone up faster. I am flabby. I have a gut and boobs. These must go. In the past I've lost 40-50lbs two different times in 3 months. I know low carb works for me, but my low carb had also become HUGE portions. Counting calories is my way of watching my portions.

I don't understand how under 2,000 calories and under 40g carbs is bad for the next couple of months. I realize that eventually I'll have to change it up a little, especially if I start building more muscle.

AM I way off base here?
View Quote
If you are that low carb eat when you are hungry until you are satiated. It may be fine to eat at a deficit while you are still working on form with a barbell but once you get some weight on there you'll be hungry a lot more.

If you are eating the right foods you don't really need to count calories, they'll take care of themselves. Never really hurts to track it but i would not set a limit or a minimum for that matter. Try to actually listen to your body, not your inner glutton or the clock but are you actually physically hungry and have you eaten enough, not hungry anymore.

I don't eat breakfast but my coffee has several hundred calories of heavy cream. I haven't been eating lunch most of the time either, maybe a couple of nuts just to give my stomach a little something to shut up. Lift fasted like that and then have a large serving of protein with butter and bacon and cheese and veggies. I am usually not hungry at all and frequently have dinner just because i know i need to. Works for me, not for everyone though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top