User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/16/2015 7:16:54 PM EDT
I need a protein drink supplement.

At least 20grams/drink.

Price is important.

Is there a certain type of protein drink I should shoot for?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Platinum Hydro Whey is one of the best tasting protein drinks I've tried, it's also very low in carbs. It's 30 grams of protein per scoop. Down side is that it's also one of the more expensive protein powders around.

ETA: I want to clarify something... It IS the best tasting protein powder I've tried. It also IS the most expensive one I've tried. That said, I haven't tried them all.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#2]
optimum nutrition whey protein is good enough.  buy it by the 10lb bag off of bodybuilding.com for the best price
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for Optimum. MrsGrunt likes the Beverly International UMP. It mixes well and still tastes great with water.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Whatever's cheap. I buy isolate at Wal Mart for $22 a tub. 30g per scoop.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:06:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

How many calories though per scoop? That walmart shit is full of fillers,sugar and carbs. You can buy way better quality protein online for the same price or cheaper if you know where to look.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:12:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How many calories though per scoop? That walmart shit is full of fillers,sugar and carbs. You can buy way better quality protein online for the same price or cheaper if you know where to look.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I remember, it's 120 per scoop, so you're getting the minimum possible calories. A while back somebody tested a lot of the brands and the Wal Mart shit was among the most pure. It's just a processed dairy product, there's no magic to making it, and, like creatine, you typically get nothing extra by paying more.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#8]
We really like the top secret nutrition whey.  Has been on sale in the 5# tub for 28$ in the muscle and strength store recently.  Vanilla Cream is the better flavor in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#9]
My <3 belongs to TrueNutrition beef isolate. Chocolate fudge blended with coffee is out fucking standing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I make my own:

2 TBL PB2 powdered peanut butter
2TBL cocoa
10 oz of Almond Milk
Ice
1 frozen banana
Splenda to sweeten

Gets about 30gr protein with only about 150 calories
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I like NOW products. No BS ingredients.

I do
1 scoop whey
2 scoops carbo gain
10 grams creatine*h20
1 tsb sugar
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to use Optimum, then I found this site. Read the Reddit links, it scores higher than Optimum at less than half the cost. Basically, when you wait for the sales to come around, you buy 5lbs and get 6lbs FREE compared to Optimum prices and it scored higher in purity on top of that.

And their peanut butter is tits too.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_113/1694812_11lbs_of_protein_concentrate__60_shipped_edit___Ends_I_have_no_idea_.html
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I used to use Optimum, then I found this site. Read the Reddit links, it scores higher than Optimum at less than half the cost. Basically, when you wait for the sales to come around, you buy 5lbs and get 6lbs FREE compared to Optimum prices and it scored higher in purity on top of that.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_113/1694812_11lbs_of_protein_concentrate__60_shipped_edit___Ends_I_have_no_idea_.html
View Quote

This. Never switching unless they jack up their prices

http://us.myprotein.com/home.dept
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Im an ON guy and made some purchases to MP as well. I got 11lbs of the English Toffee but not a fan of the flavor, but oh well. Their unflavored is good, and their protein bars are amazing
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Im an ON guy and made some purchases to MP as well. I got 11lbs of the English Toffee but not a fan of the flavor, but oh well. Their unflavored is good, and their protein bars are amazing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In all fairness, that flavor doesn't even sound good.

I got cookies and cream and it's gooooooood.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking toffee like a Skor/Heath bar when I ordered it

Cookies and cream was out when I ordered. It will be my next order when I get more
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

At least 20grams/drink.

Price is important.

View Quote

I like Dymatize 100% whey protein.  Careful buying the cheap no name crap as a lot of these companies have been "spiking" their protein products which means dumping a bunch of cheap amino's into the protein to get their protein content up and keeping their cost down.  Optimum is ok but tastes like crap imo.  

Avoid musclepharm for sure, they're one of the worst "spiking" offenders.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I like Dymatize 100% whey protein.  Careful buying the cheap no name crap as a lot of these companies have been "spiking" their protein products which means dumping a bunch of cheap amino's into the protein to get their protein content up and keeping their cost down.  Optimum is ok but tastes like crap imo.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least 20grams/drink.

Price is important.

Really? That sucks. They are the only protein drink I can stand to choke down . Every other brand of protein out there makes me want to fucking vomit even when mixing with milk.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I use body fortress from walmart with good success. Its like 16.98 a tub. It ranked pretty high up on bodybuilding.com's comparison and it taste pretty decent. I tried the Arnold stuff and its just too damn sweet for my taste.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:34:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Here's the test results.

MusclePharm was iffy and Body Fortress was a definite no-no. MyProtein.com second only to NOW 100% Whey Protein Isolate in actual protein.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I use body fortress from walmart with good success. Its like 16.98 a tub. It ranked pretty high up on bodybuilding.com's comparison and it taste pretty decent. I tried the Arnold stuff and its just too damn sweet for my taste.
View Quote

BroScience.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:53:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

BroScience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BroScience.

Go on... I'm listening. if im wrong please tell me
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:29:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BroScience.

Check out PantherArms link above. An individual did an independent test and found Body Fotress to have only a little more than half of the protein it claimed to.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here's the test results.

MusclePharm was iffy and Body Fortress was a definite no-no. MyProtein.com second only to NOW 100% Whey Protein Isolate in actual protein.
View Quote

Youre reading the chart wrong. ON has the #1 & #4 spots, with MyProteins #2 and Isopure #3. The measured/claimed column is the one that shows the important numbers
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Youre reading the chart wrong. ON has the #1 & #4 spots, with MyProteins #2 and Isopure #3. The measured/claimed column is the one that shows the important numbers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's the test results.

Yeah, I was reading it the way I intended, just not the right way.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I always go back to Progenex (Recovery or More Muscle).  It's expensive, but it just tastes so much better than anything else I've tried.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If I remember, it's 120 per scoop, so you're getting the minimum possible calories. A while back somebody tested a lot of the brands and the Wal Mart shit was among the most pure. It's just a processed dairy product, there's no magic to making it, and, like creatine, you typically get nothing extra by paying more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, Body fortress Isolate was/is the shit. The local wallyworld(s) quit carrying it, and only have the shitty whey protein now. I might have to switch to Sixstar.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Check out PantherArms link above. An individual did an independent test and found Body Fotress to have only a little more than half of the protein it claimed to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BroScience.

Isolate vs Standard Whey. Two different products.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Here's the thing though.  Even if they test for protein it doesn't ensure a good product.  Company's have been dumping in extra non-essential amino acids to get the protein content up while keeping their costs down.  Just because you have 25 grams of protein or whatever doesn't mean it's an ideal protein source.  Pure unspiked whey is great but when they dump in 10 grams of shit amino's it's a huge ripoff.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Here's the thing though.  Even if they test for protein it doesn't ensure a good product.  Company's have been dumping in extra non-essential amino acids to get the protein content up while keeping their costs down.  Just because you have 25 grams of protein or whatever doesn't mean it's an ideal protein source.  Pure unspiked whey is great but when they dump in 10 grams of shit amino's it's a huge ripoff.
View Quote

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexmorrell/2015/03/12/lawsuits-say-protein-powders-lack-protein-ripping-off-athletes/

Someone hotlink please
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BroScience.

Only way his test is worth anything is if he did a full amino acid profile which I"m willing to bet he did not.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's the test results.

It happens. I do that with texts from women
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:39:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So where is this stuff made ?It says free delivery to "mainland USA"...   made in china?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:19:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So where is this stuff made ?It says free delivery to "mainland USA"...   made in china?  
View Quote

I searched high and low on their site... I am gonna go with overseas
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:59:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.  No thanks.  Who the hell knows what's in it.  I'd rather pay more for a product that i can trust won't poison me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah.  No thanks.  Who the hell knows what's in it.  I'd rather pay more for a product that i can trust won't poison me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just playing devil's advocate here, but the supplement world isn't exactly a highly regulated business. Any brand of supplement regardless of where it is made could poison you. (Obviously there are more trusted sources, NOW, ON, etc.)
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you go to their site, they are based in the UK. I just naturally assumed it was made there. <shrug>
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Good and cheap.  I buy in the 10lb quantity to save $.  They got my order to me on the 3rd business day.  

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Note i'm not an expert, or pro bodybuilder, but this has worked pretty well for me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Just playing devil's advocate here, but the supplement world isn't exactly a highly regulated business. Any brand of supplement regardless of where it is made could poison you. (Obviously there are more trusted sources, NOW, ON, etc.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, this
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Myprotein Customer Service Department
Meridian House,
Gadbrook Park,
Gadbrook Way,
Rudheath,
Northwich,
Cheshire,
CW9 7RA
United Kingdom

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#43]
So what's the consensus on Myprotein? I just ordered a giant bag.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#44]
i don't know, do you?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yep, this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, this

But some go out of their way to be 3rd party tested and that's what you should be buying.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've been though almost 22lbs of it and I'll be ordering another bag soon along with some protein cookies. Or you can spend twice as much to solve a problem we just made up on page 2 of this thread and doesn't actually exist.

Google answers all:

The protein fractions are: 44% Beta lactoglobulin, 17% Alpha lactalbumin, 1.5% Bovine serum albumin, 8% Immunoglobulin G, 0.5% Lactoferrin, 26% Glycomacropeptide. The amino acid profile can be found at the bottom of the page under 'Certificates'.

About Manufacturer

My protein has been around for more than 10 years. The company provides premium quality sports supplements with achievable goals. The people working at My Protein take pride in using high quality ingredients in all its products which individually get tested in micro-biological labs. The consistently high quality of My Protein products has made it one of the leading companies of Europe as far as sports nutrition brands are concerned. What make My Protein stand out in the market are its high quality yet cheap prices. It is cost effective because the company buys the ingredients in bulk and manufactures the products and then sells them directly online by taking the middle man out of the scene which makes the product cheaper than others.

Made in "Europe."
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've been though almost 22lbs of it and I'll be ordering another bag soon along with some protein cookies. Or you can spend twice as much to solve a problem we just made up on page 2 of this thread and doesn't actually exist.

Google answers all:

The protein fractions are: 44% Beta lactoglobulin, 17% Alpha lactalbumin, 1.5% Bovine serum albumin, 8% Immunoglobulin G, 0.5% Lactoferrin, 26% Glycomacropeptide. The amino acid profile can be found at the bottom of the page under 'Certificates'.

Made in "Europe."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google answers all:

About Manufacturer

My protein has been around for more than 10 years. The company provides premium quality sports supplements with achievable goals. The people working at My Protein take pride in using high quality ingredients in all its products which individually get tested in micro-biological labs. The consistently high quality of My Protein products has made it one of the leading companies of Europe as far as sports nutrition brands are concerned. What make My Protein stand out in the market are its high quality yet cheap prices. It is cost effective because the company buys the ingredients in bulk and manufactures the products and then sells them directly online by taking the middle man out of the scene which makes the product cheaper than others.

Made in "Europe."

Oh, well as long as there's beta lactoglobulin in it....

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've recently started using MusclePharm's Combat Powder and the Vanilla is excellent.
View Quote

Don't buy "birthday cake" flavor.  

You have to be careful about sending the sammich maker to GNC for you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top