Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2017 1:18:12 AM EDT
I am looking to get my first "better" 1911. The first handgun I ever bought was a Rock Island 1911, and I loved that thing. It wouldn't feed hollowpoints very well, or anything that wasn't a perfect ball shaped bullet, but with plain ball it ran like a champ. Sold it for something else and kind of miss it. I'm looking for a pretty plain jane 1911 that will be pretty reliable. I was thinking about stepping up into the bigger names, but don't know where to start. I like the looks of the plain GI style if that helps. Not looking for a hotrod, just something that won't be frustrating at the range and has that oh so sweet 1911 trigger.

I saw that Colt has a 1991 model, that is a basic GI pattern, any word on how well these things stack up? How do they differ from a regular 1911A1? Any recommendations for that sub $800 range or do I need to be looking in the 1100 and under range?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:24:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I know some with bitch yet I have a Remington R1 that had a minor issue that some polishing fix. It would lock open before last round fed on both OEM mags. Polished the slide like just a tad and no more issues. I got it used but not shot for about $550ish. Shoot good for me since when I got it I hadn't shot in 15-20 years yet last time I took it out grouped good.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:37:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a 1991 compact model back in the day. It was nice, shot fine, wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#3]
the 1991 pistols had mixed reviews, mixed satisfaction and didn't save colt from bankruptsy...
first use of plastic parts for mass production that I am aware of but, I'm an idiot cook..
finish was meh, rough spots where they were usually polished. I had two, one worked great
the other had some FTE issues.

if you want a base gun to build up on, the steel was fine if I recall and a good start to do a complete custom.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Get another RIA? If it doesn't feed send it back they will fix it quickly
Springfield Mil-Spec (Fuck Springfield)
Ruger SR1911
Remington R1 ( Currently has a $100 mail in rebate )

I personally hate GI sights.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#5]
s&w
ruger

Used Springfield armory & Colt 70 series
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The new 1991's are excellent. They are much nicer from the 1990's parkerized 1991's. I would suggest picking one up for what you are looking for. I'm quite happy with the new 1991 I carry. The new ones have a very nice brushed blue finish unlike the old rough parkerized finish. The new guns are made on modern CNC machines and have tighter tolerances.
Top Top