Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2015 6:14:36 PM EDT
How many of you use subsonic successfully for dispatching hogs?

I have used my 338 Spectre with great success for hogs. 300 gr SMK's work well even with shoulder shots on large hogs.

There are limitations to SS rounds and I try to keep all shots under 120 yards.

Past 150 yards SS rounds drop like a rock. Even the 338 Spectre with its fantastic 800+/- BC falls off quickly  even though it's only shed approximately 35 fps at 150 yards.

It is definitely more challenging to shoot a running hOg with a subsonic caliber

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I love the Aquilla sub sonic 70 gr .22 rim fires for dispatching in the hog traps. They will surprise you on their penetration. I have not tried any subsonic center fire loads as of yet.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Chasing a herd of hogs across a hay field in my truck and firing 300blk 220gr subs out the window one handed.  At ten yards away I can see little red spots on the critters but they dont slow down.  If you cant take careful shots then fast mushrooming bullets are better.  
The sound of a suppressed 220gr hitting a hog noggin' sure makes you grin though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been meaning to give the integral 77/44 with 300 grain Hornady XTPs a try on a pig.  After having one charge me more than once, I sure do like the 30 round magazines in a 300BLK or 25 round 6.8 though.  I've got some of the Lehigh and Outlaw State 300BLK mushrooming subs loaded up, but haven't taken them hoggin.  I know they haul ass from even a quiet subsonic suppressed shot, so I haven't tried.

OP- what can are you running on the 338?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been meaning to give the integral 77/44 with 300 grain Hornady XTPs a try on a pig.  After having one charge me more than once, I sure do like the 30 round magazines in a 300BLK or 25 round 6.8 though.  I've got some of the Lehigh and Outlaw State 300BLK mushrooming subs loaded up, but haven't taken them hoggin.  I know they haul ass from even a quiet subsonic suppressed shot, so I haven't tried.

OP- what can are you running on the 338?
View Quote

I'm using a Gemtech Raptor II 9mm. it's not the quietest can out there but it gets the job done One of the places I get to hunt borders a neighborhood and it helps keep from attracting attention.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to have to check out the 338 round.  Are there any expanding subs for it?  I like the idea of the 300 grain SMKs, but they're just punching holes.  If Hornady or someone made a 250 or so XTP-type pistol bullet, I'd think a 45ACP AR setup could be a quiet hogging machine.  My hunting areas are usually about 30 miles NE of BFE, so I've got no problem running 300BLK supers or 6.8 with cans.  But I do want to try out the killing power of the integral 77/44, but will either use it out of a tree or with a suitable sidearm with a full mag.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm going to have to check out the 338 round.  Are there any expanding subs for it?  I like the idea of the 300 grain SMKs, but they're just punching holes.  If Hornady or someone made a 250 or so XTP-type pistol bullet, I'd think a 45ACP AR setup could be a quiet hogging machine.  My hunting areas are usually about 30 miles NE of BFE, so I've got no problem running 300BLK supers or 6.8 with cans.  But I do want to try out the killing power of the integral 77/44, but will either use it out of a tree or with a suitable sidearm with a full mag.
View Quote

From what I have read the 338  300gr SMK  starts to tumble within just a few inches of penetration. I forget the exact length of the projectile but it is some where around 1-3/4". Having that long heavy projectile tumbling through does more than poke a hole. I rarely have a hog run off even with poor shot placement.
Top Top