Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2014 7:25:24 PM EDT
With bow season coming up, I'll be hunting some new spots this year, I want to pick up a handheld GPS. While shopping online I came across SPOT Connect. It's cheaper than the GPSs I was looking at and I can send out a text message if I need to. Does anyone have one of these? My primary use is for map function. Any real world advise?

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:08:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I looked at the Spot! options recently for some solo backpacking I'm planning.

Make sure you read the reviews of their service - and how hard it is to cancel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:36:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Picked up a farming on Caleb's Black Fridays deals, works great. I suggest the hunting maps sd card make property lines much easier to figure out.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:53:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I looked at the Spot! options recently for some solo backpacking I'm planning.

Make sure you read the reviews of their service - and how hard it is to cancel.
View Quote

Yeah, it's basically impossible to cancel the subscription. I've looked at spot as well, but the subscription fee of $100/year is just a little high for my needs(i usually only go on one major solo hiking trip a year.). If they allowed for a monthly subscription that I could cancel/reactivate when needed? It'd be all over it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Delorme allows a monthly subscription for their InReach which is a 2-way communicator. You can also link it to your phone to text via satellite rather than sending canned messages.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmm....yeah the subscription sounds crappy. I really just need an map GPS, but I don't want to spend 300$. I honestly don't hunt out of state, and I don't hunt as often as I'd like too either. I don't want to buy junk, but can't justify spending a ton either, guess I'll keep shopping around.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not get a standalone map product for your smartphone?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

The GPS is a huge battery killer. Now, to offset this I use downloaded maps and only turn the GPS on to make position checks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The GPS is a huge battery killer. Now, to offset this I use downloaded maps and only turn the GPS on to make position checks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So carry a spare battery charger that takes lithium AAs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, I like the way that sounds. I'm not worried about crossing into private land, none near where I hunt. My main concern is making check points, map is secondary, communication is nice, but not mandatory.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why AAs? Why not a rechargeable USB battery?

I've used both methods. imho a standalone GPS is a better option. ymmv.
Top Top