Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2014 3:50:02 PM EDT
To add to the conversation about conditioning, and what helps one's conditioning, I'll add the following story:

I just got back from the 2014 FNH 3Gun Championship.  I was part of the RO crew, shot the match Tue & Wed, worked a stage Thur-Sat.

I wasn't officially part of the Stage 2 crew, but ended up helping run 5 stages with them on Friday.  They got way behind early (some management inefficiencies, not enough youth/athleticism for the stage, and just generally, it was a tough stage to manage quickly).

So, after lunch Friday, I was asked to help them.  At this point, they had only been able to get two groups through; they were a whole squad behind for the day and it was already after lunch.  So, I made a couple of efficiency suggestions (which were implemented), and, realizing most of them were already physically beat, ended up with the task of clearing the shotgun/checking/taping the paper targets.    The stage was a moderately long one, wrt the distance the shooters/ROs needed to move, and because of shooting angles, the shotgun couldn't be advanced toward until the shooter had started moving to Box B to engage the longer distance targets.  So, I decided to do the whole thing on the run until I couldn't anymore.  When the shooter turned to head toward the long distance box, I ran to the shotgun, made sure it was safed, and then cleared it, leaving it in the drop barrel.  Then, I ran and checked/taped the 7 paper targets spread along a 50ish yard area.  The targets were in trees, down in gullies, and up on hills, so I was up and down, up and down.  

I ran 5 squads (70 consecutive shooters) this way in about 4 hours, literally running down range and back each time.  Doing the stage this way, they caught up completely, and were even able to get ahead by handling a squad that would have been their last squad on Saturday.  

Physically, I surprised the hell out of myself.  It was a series of trail runs (actually, without the trail ).

Now for the interesting part...  

I don't do any running. I only lift weights, usually following the 5/3/1 program.  I've been on this program for about 2 1/2 years.  Leading up to this match, because I had stalled again, I switched to an endurance/hypertrophy program (a 5 week program) which involved 3x week full body workouts.

I woke up on Saturday ready to go again.

For those who would like to see it, here's a crappy video of the stage.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I've also found it interesting how lifting can translate into conditioning in many cases.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've also found it interesting how lifting can translate into conditioning in many cases.
View Quote

I truly was blown away at how well and how long I could make those runs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Earlier this year I was doing 5/3/1 exclusively and had a PFT come up. I'm a shitty runner...2 weeks prior I added 3 runs a week in- 1 day of sprints, 1 3 mile run and 1 interval run. I ended up running a 21:00 3 mile...which isn't my best, but is really not bad at all for having done essentially 6 training runs before hand.
I've said it many times- a good strength base > pretty much anything else. (unless you're a competitive endurance athlete).
Top Top