User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2015 3:10:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EdwardAvila]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:10:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EdwardAvila] [#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#2]
This looks very interesting. I like the fact I could actually fire my weapon in my backyard and keep my skill sets up in the winter, or days when I just need to blow off some steam and fire a few rounds.

How much is Ammo?

Is the velocity high enough that the zero on my sights/scopes will remain the same?

I am assuming this is more of a 15-25 yard range?

All my questions answered on the website.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#3]
This actually has my interest. The ability to shoot in my back yard from time to time would be awesome.

Would you be able to roughly sight in a new optic at say 25-50 yards with this. Then fine tune it when you go to the range? If so that would be even better, for me anyway. Lord knows I have purchased a new optic/sight for a rifle and installed it, yet haven't had time to go to the range to sight it in, thus having a rifle unsighted and then basically worthless, until range time is available.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
How loud is it?  I can't imagine it being that quiet for in home use seeing that it will set off primers.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ryo:
How loud is it?  I can't imagine it being that quiet for in home use seeing that it will set off primers.
View Quote

I am the country,  so sound isn't an issue, we have a range down the hill (private) I would imagine like a 22? I doubt they would be legal in city limits though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#6]
That was my impression that it would sound like a 22.  Not super loud but loud enough to attract attention from neighbors..
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:10:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this the same system that military/police have been using that hits hard enough to hurt but also makes a mark where it hits?

When I was a LEO we didn't have such cool training tools, the F.A.T.S system (Firearms Training Simulator) was our big technological advancement.  I've seen the marking rounds system used on TV and always thought it should absolutely be available to civilians for real training, looks like it finally has!  There are a lot of good training methods but there is nothing that will get your attention and make you think like a force on force realistic training system that gives you real time feedback on what you did right and especially what you did wrong.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Brandi:
Is this the same system that military/police have been using that hits hard enough to hurt but also makes a mark where it hits?

When I was a LEO we didn't have such cool training tools, the F.A.T.S system (Firearms Training Simulator) was our big technological advancement.  I've seen the marking rounds system used on TV and always thought it should absolutely be available to civilians for real training, looks like it finally has!  There are a lot of good training methods but there is nothing that will get your attention and make you think like a force on force realistic training system that gives you real time feedback on what you did right and especially what you did wrong.
View Quote

There are two similar systems-- simunitions and UTM.  I prefer UTM.  It seems a little more reliable, and with Simunitions, it is necessary to use a dedicated upper.

It does leave a mark, and requires a face mask.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Do the projectiles damage the barrel bore if used for an extended time (many rounds without cleaning)?

Do the projectiles leave residue in the bore that require cleaning before shooting live ammo? In other words, could i shoot the UTM stuff then swap the bcg and head to the range or is it required/advised to clean before using live ammo?

James in Denver
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Is it possible to reload this ammo?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 908ssp:
Is it possible to reload this ammo?
View Quote

+1

OR, for those of us who do NOT reload, it is possible to send the "used" shells back to the company to be reloaded or in credit for new ammo?

James in Denver
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I am sold on these, guess it's time to break out some plastic so I can see how they work.

Would be nice to pop a few rounds before dinner.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:37:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I just read where they ship, states not to Illinois. What restrictions are placed on Illinois?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I just ordered the kit and 500 extra rounds to start practicing at home on those days I can't get to the range.

Nice folks on the phone, very responsive, and I was able to still order even though I was in IL, those darn Chicom's gives us a bad rap.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By EdwardAvila:

Glad to hear. I had contact them with your IL concern and they were going to look into why the web site would not let you order...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ASRM:
I just ordered the kit and 500 extra rounds to start practicing at home on those days I can't get to the range.

Nice folks on the phone, very responsive, and I was able to still order even though I was in IL, those darn Chicom's gives us a bad rap.

Glad to hear. I had contact them with your IL concern and they were going to look into why the web site would not let you order...

Turns out IL, and some of the other more progressive states with ID cards and such don't allow for their online ordering system. I was able to speak to them and we did it over the phone and with me sending in my DL and FOID.

Again very nice folks, every time I called I was able to speak to the person I wanted.

Looking forward to trying out the products.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got my order from UTM today, very nice packaging, very detailed instructions, the ammo looks very well built, can't wait to shoot some just to play with it. Ordered a brick of thier ammo plus the 200 it came with, figure that will last a while, based on what I read on another post, they make quality ammo.

Thanks for the heads up, and thanks to UTM for accommodating me here in IL.

Now if those roofers working on our roof would get done so I can shoot. Don't care for them seeing my warez...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:07:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ASRM] [#20]
I finally got around to shooting a box (50 rounds) of the UTMs and was impressed! All I heard was the buffer spring and the bolt slam, wife was in the kitchen making dinner and said it sounded like a BB gun.

It cycled perfect, hit on target, kicked like you would expect, I sort of missed the crack of a shot :)

Again thanks for turning me on to this.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:35:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JamesInDenver] [#21]
Just as an FYI regarding "reloading" or saving the "brass".

I made a quick call to the US HQ for the company, a very nice lady answered and I asked about saving the brass for reloading.

She said that, at this time, there are no plans for accepting the old "brass" for credit for reloading.

I'm NOT a reloader, but maybe if someone who DOES reload could reverse engineer the rounds and figure out how to reload them, that would be cool. Maybe you could just buy the projectiles, and reload the "brass" using primers.

If I get a set (which I probably will), I'll probably save the "brass" anyway, and maybe call back to see if they would accept it.

James in Denver
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#23]
For anyone in the area, we have this setup at the Canton store this weekend for anyone that wants to try it out.
View Quote

I'm planning on attending the Texas Firearms Festival in November & would love to see this product their to try out!
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#25]
The MMR rounds for FoF are able to be fired from the CTA bolt kit.  If you can find them, they would be a viable alternative to the plastic tipped CTA rounds. Of course, all FoF safety protocols need to be in place before shooting up your neighbor. Stray cats are fair game though....
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Absolutely. All of the UTM rounds use the same bolt conversion, so it's all interchangeable.
AS others have noted, this is a simple bolt carrier swap and you shoot your weapon with any of the UTM ammo options. IMHO the most versatile solution for training.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By coloccw:
The MMR rounds for FoF are able to be fired from the CTA bolt kit.  If you can find them, they would be a viable alternative to the plastic tipped CTA rounds. Of course, all FoF safety protocols need to be in place before shooting up your neighbor. Stray cats are fair game though....

Absolutely. All of the UTM rounds use the same bolt conversion, so it's all interchangeable.
AS others have noted, this is a simple bolt carrier swap and you shoot your weapon with any of the UTM ammo options. IMHO the most versatile solution for training.

Are the MMR rounds available to civilians?  Seems like it would be tough to get a hold of?
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:38:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:45:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Rounds are available for sale; there's nothing legally restricting access to civilians, but as you can imagine no one wants a bunch of people without training and proper safety gear to be shooting at each other, hence the "restrictions".

Obviously I am not a rep for the company, so my opinion holds no merit, but that's strictly my opinion/observation.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 44Punk:
Are the MMR rounds available to civilians?  Seems like it would be tough to get a hold of?

Rounds are available for sale; there's nothing legally restricting access to civilians, but as you can imagine no one wants a bunch of people without training and proper safety gear to be shooting at each other, hence the "restrictions".

Obviously I am not a rep for the company, so my opinion holds no merit, but that's strictly my opinion/observation.

Thanks for the quick response. I may call them on Monday and see if my SOT pulls any favors. Great review.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#30]
really old thread, but...what did you find out about buying MMR rounds?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Any updates on this?  

Will the CTR BCG actually work with the MMR, SBR, and the BBR rounds...  and what is the availability of said rounds to us mere mortal dirty "CIVILIANS"?  I mean they seem hell bent on not serving the civilian market which would be huge in my opinion.  I know a lot of people will scoff at the price of admission but I really believe this system would be a great teaching tool...  

Could someone who owns one of these post some pics of the system broken down?  AR specifically..... Also does any have both MMR and CTR to compare?  Has anyone used both ammo flavors in the same rifle with the same set up?

Just curious.. I am really wanting to get into one of these systems for training purposes...

Thanks
WP 
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the reply....

I was just curious as to how the BCG came apart for cleaning and maintenance.  Is it just like the regular BCG?

I have found several sources of the ammo, specifically the MMR, but the all say the sales are restricted to .MIL or LEO... or Professional Training Organizations.   I suppose it could be for liability reasons...  IDK...

Just seems odd to me since the whole idea to the "System" is designed to be Less than lethal... why make it hard to get?  Even the blank rounds don't seem to be available for civilian sales.... that would be awesome to have for "Live" dry fire...

Thanks again!

WP
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top