Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2014 8:20:56 AM EDT
I need advice and opinions on making an AR500 steel target set up. I want ;
1.At least 3 targets
2.Pistol and rifle (up to 7mm Rem Mag)
3.What sizes and shapes (square or round, with or without ears) are good for what range? (up to 200 yards)
4.What thickness and weight for different sizes/shapes.
5.What type of stand for weight capacity and quickness of set up and take down as well as transport.
6.Any advice on how to attach to any stand..  
7.Good price suppliers.
Thanks for your response.  Cmax
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:00:37 AM EDT
[#1]
There are some other threads on this subject, but I'll show some of what I have.

1/2" AR500 11.5" x 11.5" hung with cheap fire type hose.

at about 70 yards, the .204 ruger will just barely dimple one of these.  At the same distance, you cant tell they've been shot with a .308 other than the paint is gone.

There were aquired locally from a guy that has a local fabrication shop and was doing our little group a favor by selling these things at cost.

I got them to shoot at long range mostly, but they work great for pistol targets too.

I'm still working on a stand system that I like and that I can transport in the back of my Outback.

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#2]
If you use longer bolts, it would tilt the bottom of the plate rearward thus increasing the service life of the target. It would also send your frags downward instead of to the side making it safer to shoot at closer distances.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you use longer bolts, it would tilt the bottom of the plate rearward thus increasing the service life of the target. It would also send your frags downward instead of to the side making it safer to shoot at closer distances.
View Quote

Good ideas!  Thanks.  I'll look into that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I need advice and opinions on making an AR500 steel target set up. I want ;

1.At least 3 targets

2.Pistol and rifle (up to 7mm Rem Mag)

3.What sizes and shapes (square or round, with or without ears) are good for what range? (up to 200 yards)

4.What thickness and weight for different sizes/shapes.

5.What type of stand for weight capacity and quickness of set up and take down as well as transport.

6.Any advice on how to attach to any stand..  

7.Good price suppliers.

Thanks for your response.  Cmax

View Quote

There's about a million vendors out there, and I'm one of them. In general, we're all using the same spec material, AR500, which has become the industry standard. So, you're well advised to go to whomever will give you the best price per pound on what you want, taking into account shipping costs.

7mm rem mag is a fairly middle of the road round, little bit faster and lighter than most of your 30 cal loadings. I'd advice not shooting it at closer than 150 yards, otherwise you may pit the surface of the target. Plus, it's not much fun at closer than that.

Size and shape is totally up to your preferences. Round is more material efficient than square, assuming whomever is cutting it does a good nest of mixed shapes. This is counter intuitive, trust me though. I price almost all my steel out by the pound, so getting square or round doesn't matter, other than how much it weighs. I like round shapes, because I think in MOA. I also like the IPSC shape, so I use that a bunch.

Thickness-wise, I have a chart for you to use. Your variables are caliber and distance.

Stands are often user built. I build a heavy angle iron H-base that uses 2x4s as sleepers and upright(s). They last forever (replace 2x4s as needed), are quick to set up, and I've hung 50 lbs plus of targets off single stands without a worry. I have one on my range that has been holding a full size IPSC on a hill for a year now.

I use 1/4" chain to hang my targets. It's cheap, easy to adjust the length, and holds up well to pistol rounds. Rifle round cut it with direct hits. Consider rubber belting, or old firehose as well. I only use carriage bolts for hanging my targets, no hex heads, especially on pistol targets.

Price wise, if you are paying more than $6/lb for a gong, you're probably paying extra for pretty paint.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top