Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2016 2:56:52 AM EDT
Hey guys, I'm new to the AR world and I just got my first gun. I feel that since I dropped like 1.2k on a riffe, another 500 on an optic and continuous funds towards .223 ammo, I might as well learn how to shoot the thing properly. I was wondering if anyone in the Northern Virginia area had any experience with the classes that are offered around here and if they could give me any recommendations to a good class. This is the first gun I have ever shot and I feel that youtube and google can only get me so far. To be honest I don't really want to start dry fire practicing every day in the chance that I have something completely wrong in my grip/stance, and will make it harder for me to learn the "correct" way.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have taken classes from the following NoVA area companies:

CCJA (Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy) - Fredericksburg, VA

Green Ops - Culpeper, VA

Tactical Operations Consulting - Winchester, VA

All are recommended.

Tac Op Con is currently doing their training in Kearneysville, WV. It's a good class covering the fundamentals

Green Ops does 4 hr classes at the NRA range and full day classes just south of Culpeper. They too, have a good lesson plan covering the basics.
The non-shooting instruction focuses on the use of lethal force by armed citizens.

CCJA has their classroom in Fredericksburg, but their range is next to Kings Dominion. CCJA probably has the most comprehensive classroom portion;
the range portion is good also.

Again, all are recommended.

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Check out Paramount Tactical Solutions.  They've been at Peacemaker the last few years, however I believe they will be at a new facility in the Winchester, VA area starting next spring.

Great bunch of guys with lots of real world experience.  I'd definitely check them out.

Link Posted: 11/5/2016 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Lots of good suggestions already.  Check in the VA Hometown Forum for more responses.

Also: https://www.fpftraining.com/products/minuteman-rifle-course-mrc  
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots of good suggestions already.  Check in the VA Hometown Forum for more responses.

View Quote
I'll also vouch for FPF's Training!  John runs a great program.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have taken classes from the following NoVA area companies:

CCJA (Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy) - Fredericksburg, VA

Green Ops - Culpeper, VA

Tactical Operations Consulting - Winchester, VA

All are recommended.

Tac Op Con is currently doing their training in Kearneysville, WV. It's a good class covering the fundamentals

Green Ops does 4 hr classes at the NRA range and full day classes just south of Culpeper. They too, have a good lesson plan covering the basics.
The non-shooting instruction focuses on the use of lethal force by armed citizens.

CCJA has their classroom in Fredericksburg, but their range is next to Kings Dominion. CCJA probably has the most comprehensive classroom portion;
the range portion is good also.

Again, all are recommended.
View Quote

Thank you for the recommendation!  
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 4:07:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it! I think that I have narrowed it down to either the Green Ops one at the NRA, or the MRC by FPF. To be honest I'm stuck between the two and cannot decide on which one to go for. They both have great reviews and I hear nothing but good things about them. Both of them have slots open for classes in the next two weeks and would really appreciate any feedback that anyone has to offer.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#7]
The Green Ops course at the NRA is only about 4 hours of actual training.  We'll have vendors there to display their products, answer questions and we'll take a lunch break at the NRA's cafeteria.  

FPF's training is a whole day devoted to quality training.  

Based on your original post, my recommendation would be to attend FPF's Minute Man Rifle Course (MRC) and yes, I have taken the MRC.  John is a motivating instructor!
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Disclaimer: I am the lead instructor for Green Ops. This is just my recommendation.

Start at FPF, John Murphy will solidly ground you in the fundamentals. Fundamentals are a critical and necessary foundation.

As you are ready to continue your journey take other courses. Green Ops would also be honored to have you as a client.

I am not personally familiar with all the offerings recommended here, but from what I hear, you probably would be well served by any of them. A variety of perspectives can be positive exposure.

Good luck and train hard!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top