Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2015 2:31:41 AM EDT
I'm curious to see how folks are doing their right to left transitions while firing an AR with a 2 point sling. I was taught a particular method several years ago, but I can't remember it.

If you have pics/videos of an example, that would be best. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Throw rifle in air, rapidly reverse hand placement, catch, continue pew pew pewing.

But for real, change to opposite shoulder, remove fire control hand and move it up to where support hand is. Then bring support hand back to shooting position. That way the front of the rifle is supported and "on target" the whole time and it's only a fraction of a second where you aren't able to fire. I'm pretty low speed though so this might not be optimal.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I was taught:

-Safety on
-Current firing hand to grip front of magwell
-Transfer to opposite shoulder.
-Get firing grip with new firing hand.
-Switch feet
-New support hand up to handguard (otherwise you may block the ejection port with your thumb, I may have experience with that )

You can say "safety, magwell, shoulder, feet" to help remember while you're doing it, whether aloud or in your head.

Hope this is helpful.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I was taught:

-Safety on
-Switch feet
-New support hand up to handguard (otherwise you may block the ejection port with your thumb, I may have experience with that )
View Quote

The issue I'm running into is with my sling coming up my back and over my right shoulder, it chokes me when I move the buttstock to the left side. Are you doing something different with the sling?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The issue I'm running into is with my sling coming up my back and over my right shoulder, it chokes me when I move the buttstock to the left side. Are you doing something different with the sling?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I was taught:

-Safety on
-Switch feet

On  those slings, I'll slip my arm out and have it hang just around my neck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Easier way I've started doing is simply keeping your hand placement the same, just moving the rifle over to your left shoulder.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I'll have to try that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
With the 2 point, unless it's super loose, it seems to me you really have to use it as a neck loop for transitioning shoulders.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Easier way I've started doing is simply keeping your hand placement the same, just moving the rifle over to your left shoulder.
View Quote

This, very easy and allows use of any lights, lasers that you have set up for strong shoulder shooting. Also works great if you have a red dot or irons on 45 degree offset.

Just keep the sling loose, no problems.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:06:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I have my sling(Magpul convertible) set up to be just long enough in it's fully extended position that I can switch shoulders without slipping an arm out, and I typically leave it that way all the time. I can tighten it fully if I need the support, or if I'm slinging across my back. This is with a 14.5 with full length KMR, with the front connection right at the front of the forearm, and the rear connection on the QD socket of my B5 stock.

To change shoulders, I move the rifle to my opposite shoulder, reach up to the handguard with my firing hand and then reach back with my new firing hand and establish grip.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was taught:

-Safety on
-Switch feet

this
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are a right eye dominant shooter, set up your 2-point sling with the rear attachment on the RIGHT side of your stock.  In addition to helping place the sling better, it also helps mitigate the choke out when transitioning to left hand.

For a left eye dominant shooter, place the rear attachment on the LEFT side of your buttstock.

This video will answer your questions thoroughly:

VTAC 2 Point Set Up

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top