Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2014 11:02:28 PM EDT
I am unsure if I am in the right forum, and I realize I may be asking a question I need to find the answer out myself but please read.

From what I can gather and of course my body the way it is. I am Right handed, Left eye dominant, here is the thing. My right eye seems to be getting more use to shooting with both eyes open, but not quite there yet. They both almost seem to be as well as the other, but my left has an edge. I can certainly hit with both eyes no problem from various yards, with very acceptable accuracy and precision of where I want my rounds to hit, left or right handed/eyed.  I can close my right and see perfect with my left and vice versa, I can also close one for a moment, open up and see well with the other, also just closing one or the other a tiny bit and see very well through the other, still the slight edge is goes to the left eye. Also believe I may be Ambidextrous with both hands when it comes to firearms. When I was younger, Baseball coaches and even from golfing lessons, they could not tell if I was right/left handed due to the fact that I could use both. I know when running tactical course you should have both eyes open, and I want to continue this. I am stubborn, I want my right eye to be almost as good as my left. I realize it will never be AS good as my left, but I want to be able to use both eyes with almost equal results, no matter which one. So I ask the many shooters, trainers, other cross dominant/Ambi gunners in this forum for advice. Stick with the training of my right eye, turn over to the left side, or train with both and go from there. Maybe have advice on what training methods I should take part in of which you recommend. I understand this is a lot to ask from other firearms enthusiast such as myself, who have no idea who I am or how I shoot, but I ask. Please, if you could help a fellow gun lover out, I would much appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]
i know this is going to sound trite....but learn how to shoot with support and strong side....both of them

if you cannot adopt your natural point of aim or sight alignment, you have to adjust other practices....if you practice on your weak side, it isn't that hard
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
train with both
View Quote

If you're that close to being essentially ambidextrous anyway, just keep working at it.  Most would consider that kind of ability to be a great gift.  Eye dominance is usually something that can be trained and you seem almost there already.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for your replies. I truly appreciate feedback from other shooters. Please keep them coming, I do enjoy the feedback. If anyone has any training tips that would be much obliged. I do sometimes believe it is a gift, other times it can frustrate me, but more so a gift.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#4]
The usual training technique for trying to change eye dominance is to put a square of frosted scotch tape on the dominant side of shooting glasses so that it intervenes in trying to view the sights, thereby forcing the non-dominant eye to see the sights.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]
My brother has the same issue as you. He is left hand/right eye dominant. He does not have major issues shooting his carbine, but, his pistol shooting is a completely different animal. So, I told him that he had basically two choices:

1) Train repetitively enough to 'force' to switch eye dominance (re-training your eyes)...

2) Switch hands so that your "dominant" hand is now the same as your dominant eye. Practice like a madman to get it to stick.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I say train with both sides, we have no weak side!

I remember Kyle Defoor talking about the "tactical wink". From what I can remember it went something like this. If you can shoot with both eyes open from both sides then great do this, if you have to slightly close one of your eye while shooting support side then thats ok too. In the end do what you must to make the shot. Remember there are some guys out there shooting from both sides who only have one eye...
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
in hand to hand fighting one must pratice all your moves from left and right side the same . . firearms are no different sir . it is todays sword . ur farther then most in this regard . keep up the ambi training with both eyes open . ur body wants to have both eyes open because it makes more since .

dagg . . . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top