Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2014 8:48:48 PM EDT
I'm curious how many people differentiate between firearm manipulation training and tactical training.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I can crawl into my ass hole, and pull the hole in after me, now that is cover and concealment all in one.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I know that your average interior door or wall in a house isn't cover... So I guess that makes me more tacticool than IDPA morons.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Cover is good.  

Drywall is not cover.  A floor is not cover from below.  A ceiling is not cover from above.  Doors are not cover.    Siding + wall stud + insulation + drywall + paint does not equal cover.   Brick veneer and cast stones are not cover.  A garage door is not cover.   Concrete blocks may or may not be cover.  But if they are, they usually work just once.  

Bullets go through car windows and car doors, so they are not cover.  The bed of your truck is not cover.  

Boy....   that's a good question!!  

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The more the better
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I know that a 6 inch deep depression in the ground works in when there is nothing but sand around.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I know 55grn 193, will slice through 1/4 in steel railroad tracks like warm butter at 35 yards
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 1:20:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Learning to use terrain features (including the ground) as cover is often missed. And yes differentiating the two types of training is a good question. Firearm manipulation training increases personal skills with gun handling, but actual tactical training is far more than just a square range or running a gun fast.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Found this great article
What is cover in your home

its a must read.  Just discovered it last night.

FBI Analyst great read
DISCLAIMER: GRAPHIC IMAGES
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Found this great article

FBI Analyst great read
View Quote

Insane. Spark notes: 17 (non vital) hits from .40 HP & .223 TAP and police still had to wrestle him into handcuffs. Shot placement.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm curious how many people differentiate between firearm manipulation training and tactical training.
View Quote

That's one thing that's always irritated me.

Weapons manipulations classes aren't "tactical" classes. Wheels go on the car, but the wheels also aren't the car.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#11]
As dumb and gay as it sounds but playing paint ball a few times will help one develop the mindset to use cover and concealment.  The downside is it doesn't really beat it into your head what will stop a real bullet but it does get the brain working to get you to work at not being seen and hit.

ETA-  I can say I've only played paintball once in my life.  I've only shot IPSC a couple times.  I've done FATS and simunitions a few times too.  None of them is the end all be all but they're all somewhat useful in different ways.

ETA2,  one more reason I like 20 round AR magazines.  If real incoming is headed my way I can get that much lower while firing back.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As dumb and gay as it sounds but playing paint ball a few times will help one develop the mindset to use cover and concealment.  The downside is it doesn't really beat it into your head what will stop a real bullet but it does get the brain working to get you to work at not being seen and hit.

ETA-  I can say I've only played paintball once in my life.  I've only shot IPSC a couple times.  I've done FATS and simunitions a few times too.  None of them is the end all be all but they're all somewhat useful in different ways.

ETA2,  one more reason I like 20 round AR magazines.  If real incoming is headed my way I can get that much lower while firing back.
View Quote

You don't have to shoot the carbine vertically if you have to be THAT low. Just saying.

Paintball doesn't ingrain use of cover any better than training carbine manipulations on a square range using established courses of fire or barricades for movement. Paintballs do not penetrate even heavy cardboard at many distances, and if you are so close that the paintball has the velocity to penetrate cardboard, that's not really an accurate representation of using cover in a gunfight.

What paintball and airsoft do, and to a greater degree Simunitions and other similar marker training rounds, is show the folly of standing still with a pain response.... But it still isn't better training than current square range COF's to seek cover vs concealment, because its still not appropriate cover.

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Found this great article

FBI Analyst great read
View Quote

Be careful with the FBI link, as there was a version erroneously and widely disseminated that had very incorrect information in it. I do not have access to the bad one to compare, but make sure you find out which one that is before basing anything off it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I learnt at JRTC if you get behind a camo net it blocks laser beams...
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#15]
There is really NO cover inside a modern home, even with the careful use of "tactical appliances" such as the fridge or Washer / Dryer... if confronted by a rifle armed intruder.

Hopefully that fact stays in the knowledge of the good guys and that "Homie Da' Criminal" thinks that out of sight means can't be shot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Hide behind it when fired upon.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Cover is more than something solid you hide behind. Cover is theory where you, your environment, the enemy, ammo, body armor, time and object density all come into play in the exact same moment. Its a constantly changing formula in a gunfight. There was a really good article about cover recently but I cant seem to find it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Knowing what will stop bullets is valuable information.  Cinder block walls won't stop most rounds, my favorite cover has always been Mom... Mother Earth is more than a hippy magazine.

The biggest  problem with hugging the ground is line of sight, your horizon gets higher and you become further dislocated from your environment.  So what's the best high cover?  I like those big light posts, they're round and most rounds don't bite into them as much as a flat surface would allow except at close distances.  They also don't provide a lot of purchase when using them to gain stability for shooting.

Larger and older buildings with solid material construction are awesome for giving windows and doors that provide both cover and concealment.  I'm talking about third-world qalats made from century-old dried mud and clay that can even shrug off Mk19 fire.

The biggest problem there is that more often than not, one finds themselves firing into such structures rather than from them.

what is one to do?  I deal with it and compromise with the corner of a cinder block wall where there is more material fora bullet to chew through, engine blocks, large trees are another favorite of mine as well as tall rocks or rock outcroppings.

long story short (too late) know what will stop bullets and use it when you can, the taller the better.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:27:11 AM EDT
[#19]
You won't find many places that will teach actual tactics in open-enrollment courses. I have been thinking for sometime about putting together an actual tactics course for CCW holders that would use scenario based training, force on force, etc. You'll find a few places that will give you a taste, but not many. VTAC street fighter, some TFTT courses and a few others here and there cover a few things (fighting around vehicles, some small unit movement and communication), but for the most part what you see out there are marksmanship and weapon handling classes.

As for the cover discussion - it stops bullets, opposed to concealment which just hides you from sight. People like to get sucked up real close to a piece of cover because it makes them feel safe and secure. As a general rule, you want to keep back from it a little - it will give you a better view around it, and you'll be less likely to catch ricochets off whatever your cover may be. The exception may be when you are using said cover as a barricade to support a shooting position.

Using cover to your advantage is a game of geometry. You try to put yourself into a "position of advantage" by seeing your opponent before they see you, and keeping yourself from being exposed to fire, while forcing your opponent into the open. If you can put yourself into so much of a better position than your opponent, it will be nearly impossible for them to win a fight. This doesn't just apply to cover, but speed, position, firepower, surprise, etc. I've been in "fights" that were concluded without a shot being fired - where a suspect gave up and later said the only reason they didn't go for their gun or shoot is because they knew they were at such a disadvantage from the start, and wouldn't survive.

You can "practice" your movement and use of cover when you're out and about. When you are moving around a corner, aisle, vehicle, at WalMart, in your home, etc... look for other people. If you see them before they see you, you win. If they see you first, you lose. Play the "what if" game and consider where you would move to, what you would do if someone walked through the door of wherever you are with a gun and started shooting. Situational awareness is the first step to using cover to your advantage.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You don't have to shoot the carbine vertically if you have to be THAT low. Just saying.

Paintball doesn't ingrain use of cover any better than training carbine manipulations on a square range using established courses of fire or barricades for movement. Paintballs do not penetrate even heavy cardboard at many distances, and if you are so close that the paintball has the velocity to penetrate cardboard, that's not really an accurate representation of using cover in a gunfight.

What paintball and airsoft do, and to a greater degree Simunitions and other similar marker training rounds, is show the folly of standing still with a pain response.... But it still isn't better training than current square range COF's to seek cover vs concealment, because its still not appropriate cover.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree..

If there is a need to shoot prone - turn the rifle...  That 10 round difference - between a 30 round mag and a 20 - might ALL the difference indeed....
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#21]

30-06   Armor Piercing, M2               Turning cover into concealment for over 100 years.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/ztug/M1/20130131_123044-1_zpsdac780ed.jpg

30-06   Armor Piercing, M2               Turning cover into concealment for over 100 years.
View Quote

This is your operating environment. What is your next course of action?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I would say that anything that has the "potential" to provide some degree of protection (deflect a bullet) is cover.  There can be "good" cover, as well as "bad/limited" cover.  However, if it offers even a slight chance of saving my life it is better than nothing.  The more fire I return, the better my crappy cover gets.  If I can put an aluminum chair between me and my attacker while I put rounds down range it's better than standing in the open.  

I think people confuse the term "cover" with "sanctuary" - in that they need a concrete, steel reinforced bunker in order for it to be defined as cover.  Cover is not a bank vault, it's something that gives me an advantage or increase in survivability, no matter how slight.  

Just my .02.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:01:55 AM EDT
[#25]
You never truly know if it's cover until you take fire.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/ztug/M1/20130131_123044-1_zpsdac780ed.jpg

View Quote

I just have to say this is one of the coolest things I have seen and read on the internet this week. God bless American and long live the Republic.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Cover is anything you can get behind that will stop a bullet.
Concealment is what prevents someone from having sight of you. It often is NOT cover, but may be.

I have noticed in many of the classes that have cropped up over the last 10 years or so that the importance of gaining real cover is not adequately stressed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#28]
there is pretty much nothing these days that can provide adequate cover from guns, especially rifles. our cars are 90% plastic now, walls, doors, everything is made to be cheap and replaceable so your best bet, i think, is to shoot on the move. it amazes me how many people actually train them selves to stand still (like a target) and shoot.

Get the manipulation down first, then build on it with shooting, then shooting and moving.

IDPA and IPSC/USPSA BOTH will form VERY dangerous habits if you stick to their rules.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top